Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Cars 1 policy

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2011, 04:48 PM
Clarky2.5wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Cars 1 policy

Hi guys,
Im insured with my impreza but its to the point more of a track car, so was wondering if i could buy another car ie standard impreza and change the insurance to insure the new car but then change back to the track car for santa pod or a few months in the summer is this poss? effectively still only 1 premium just swapping between the cars if that makes sense.

I have tried to ring my insurance to ask this question but your on hold for 20 mins so u give up. Left a message nothing back!!

so any help will be helpfull.

Clarky.
Old 25 November 2011, 05:16 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

If I understand you rightly, that is exactly what I do. The 53k wrx never gets used in winter and I have a 330hp 20v fiat coupe turbo to use until the weather warms up.

I'm with direct line, just ring up and swap the cars, the premium changes per month slightly with the impreza being cheaper to insure than the impreza. The only downfall is a £15 admin charge each time you change the car. This way works fine for me although I may look into admiral one day to insure both at the same time.

Dave
Old 25 November 2011, 05:18 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

**impreza being cheaper to insure than the fiat**

Woops
Old 25 November 2011, 05:37 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Lightbulb

Hi Clarky2.5WRX,

With the cars being fairly similar (albeit one modified) this should be something that your existing Insurer can accommodate.

As Davey96WRX says, it's likely you will incur an admin or changeover charge (depending upon any difference in vehicle rating) with your Insurer. But it may be worth speaking with them (when you request the first change) to see as to whether they would be kind enough to waive the admin element for the 2nd amendment when you change back.

You would just have to make sure that the car was somewhere secure, as without any cover upon the vehicle you would be taking the loss if the 2nd vehicle was damaged/stolen from where it was in storage.

One other area that you will also need to be mindful of is the change in the law relating to continuous Insurance enforcement, which requires all vehicles to have valid Motor Insurance cover in force unless the car is registered with DVLA under a statutory off road notice (SORN).

When registering upon SORN you will have to cash in your remaining road tax and will have to re-tax the vehicle when you're looking to put it back upon the road. Which can be a hassle, but in the situation that you describe where it's switching over for the summer and back in the winter hopefully this won't cause you too much trouble.

If you wanted to cover both cars (in order that the second vehicle has cover for theft/damage throughout the year) you'll find that most of the forum Insurers such as us (Greenlight), Keith Michaels, or A-Plan are likely to be able to organise a mirrored introductory NCB to recognise your record upon the first vehicle.

You could have the 2nd car on a limited mileage basis, which would help to keep the cost down for you if you chose to cover the 2nd car as well.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to you

Kind regards

Tony
Old 25 November 2011, 08:46 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Like Tony said, you can swap cover from one car onto another, but it wouldn't necessarily be practical to SORN the un-insured car every time you swapped it over.

I have two cars, and insure them on two individual policies.

Most speciaists on here will be able to mirror your NCB onto a second vehicle, it's a very common thing these days.
Old 25 November 2011, 09:00 PM
Clarky2.5wrx
Scooby Regular

Thats fantastic help guys,
Moley i appreciate having two cars on two policys but even with the mirrored no claims thats still roughly another 700 quid! Which is what i wanted to avoid hence 1 policy.

The sorn thing is very annoying!!
Old 26 November 2011, 06:07 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

Re the dorm thing, direct line offered a garage parked up policy for the impreza, I didn't take them up on it as it had ran out of tax anyway but they said it would cover the car for theft and fire while parked up/garaged this would get around the dvla thing. It's a new idea that was introduced when the law changed.

Hope this helps
Old 26 November 2011, 06:11 PM
Moley
Sponsor

You need 3rd party cover if it isn't SORN'd

A laid up policy won't give you that.
Old 26 November 2011, 06:15 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

It may have included that aswell I didn't look into it that much tbh, I may give them a ring to quantify. Cheers for that
Old 18 December 2011, 05:59 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Like Tony said, you can swap cover from one car onto another, but it wouldn't necessarily be practical to SORN the un-insured car every time you swapped it over.

I have two cars, and insure them on two individual policies.

Most speciaists on here will be able to mirror your NCB onto a second vehicle, it's a very common thing these days.
Does Keith Michaels offer mirrored NCB?

Thanks
Sam
Old 18 December 2011, 06:37 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Yep
Old 20 December 2011, 07:29 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Is it a fairly new thing? I rang up around 3-4 months ago for a quote on a 1.1 106 and the quote was £600, the same price as quotes with 0 NCB.
With mirrored NCB i would imagine a 1.1 for a 106 to cost less than this, specially when quotes with 0 NCB are £600? A few months later quotes are now £550.

I am looking seriously for a second car which i will drive more than my Impreza and getting a quote for less than £550 would help me a lot, allow me to spend sligtly more on a better condition car.

Thanks alot.
Sam

Last edited by Saalro; 20 December 2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 20 December 2011, 09:16 PM
Moley
Sponsor

We've been able to mirror the NCB for several years (10+)
Old 20 December 2011, 09:46 PM
Modifications
Scooby Regular

im with Keith M for my WRX and my Zafria both on thier own policy

got a good deal last year too,
Old 21 December 2011, 07:50 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

If you don't mind i've dropped you a PM with a registration of a second car i'm thinking of getting, can you PM me a quote based on my NCB mirrored please.

Thanks
Sam