Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who do you claim off in a pile up ?

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2011, 12:43 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who do you claim off in a pile up ?

A friend of mine is currently recovering after he was the third car in a three car pile up. A drunk uninsured Polish crashed into another car at high speed the second car then hit his car making it a write off and putting him in hospital. Given that the car at fault has no insurance can my mate try to claim off the car that hit him even though that driver was not directly responsable for the crash ? As he had third party insurance his insurance company has been no help what so ever.
Old 21 December 2011, 12:47 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
A friend of mine is currently recovering after he was the third car in a three car pile up. A drunk uninsured Polish crashed into another car at high speed the second car then hit his car making it a write off and putting him in hospital. Given that the car at fault has no insurance can my mate try to claim off the car that hit him even though that driver was not directly responsable for the crash ? As he had third party insurance his insurance company has been no help what so ever.
He claims from the car/driver that actually hit him. Third party insurance is for exactly this sort of situation - it covers the third party - in this case the third party is your friend who was hit.

Last edited by The Zohan; 21 December 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 21 December 2011, 12:47 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I thought that in a straight-froward pile-up (i.e. one car into another into another etc..) then you claimed off of the person behind, but the claim was accumilative. So first claimed off of second, second claimed first and second off of third etc..

That is what I was told when I had my only accident on a motorway: I stopped abruptly missing the car in front, the car behind stopped and looking in my rear view mirror thinking that the car behind him wasn't going to stop. Sadly I was right. It then knocked me forward into the car in front.

Steve
Old 21 December 2011, 05:35 PM
PaulJC
Scooby Regular

In most cases, any frontal damage is your fault, not enough distance for the speed, pretty clear cut, any rear damage is the fault of the car behind, for the same reason, they should have left more room...
Old 22 December 2011, 09:29 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

i was in the middle of a 5 car pile up years ago and we all claimed of the guy at the very back that rear ended us all.
Old 23 December 2011, 11:28 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulJC
In most cases, any frontal damage is your fault, not enough distance for the speed, pretty clear cut, any rear damage is the fault of the car behind, for the same reason, they should have left more room...
Except when you are in a traffic jam or very slow moving traffic thats backing up and some muppet hasnt spotted it.