Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 WRX WITH PPP - INSURANCE????

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2004, 08:40 PM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2003 WRX WITH PPP - INSURANCE????

HELP!!! WHY IS IT SUCH A BIG PROBLEM WITH INSURANCE COMPANIES WHEN IT COMES TO INSURING A WRX WITH A PPP FITTED? DOES ANYBODY KNOW A COMPANY WHO ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THE PPP IS? I'M 34 AND CAN GET QUOTES FROM £550 - £800 ON A STANDARD WRX. AS SOON AS THE DREADED PPP IS MENTIONED IT GOES TO £1400+!!
Old 15 September 2004, 11:06 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Tesco quoted well on one for me. I think it put 15-20% on the policy. Not 100% sure on the price as i didn't have it done in the end.

Chris
Old 15 September 2004, 11:33 PM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=chris's scooby]Tesco quoted well on one for me. I think it put 15-20% on the policy. Not 100% sure on the price as i didn't have it done in the end.

Chris[/QUO

Thanks Chris, i'll give them a try!
Old 16 September 2004, 12:16 PM
trubwrx
Scooby Regular

try Subaru Insured 0870 770 6220.

they know all about the modifications and values and send you a sensible modifications declaration sheet for you to sign;so that it is logged with your application.

sensible prices as well - but i am a bit of an 'old crumbly'

stay away from Liverpool & Victoria if you have modifications.

Tesco will quote on modified cars but I have been unable to get them to confirm matters in writing.

Last edited by trubwrx; 20 September 2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 16 September 2004, 12:22 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trubwrx
stay away from Liverpool & Victoria if you have mofifications.
Why????
They were the only people I phoned who weren't worried about the PPP at all. Made no difference to the price. I phoned 3 times just to check that point.
Their web site states that they don't insure modifications, but there are many people here who will confirm that they do.

I did an online quote, and then phoned them to tell them about the PPP, and the quote I filled in online was retrieved and used.
Old 16 September 2004, 04:54 PM
trubwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ShyTot
Why????
They were the only people I phoned who weren't worried about the PPP at all. Made no difference to the price. I phoned 3 times just to check that point.
Their web site states that they don't insure modifications, but there are many people here who will confirm that they do.

I did an online quote, and then phoned them to tell them about the PPP, and the quote I filled in online was retrieved and used.
i asked them (L&V) to confirm ppp and brake upgrade cover in writing and they then stated 'in writing' that they could not insure me as the car was modified.

search for my recent post on Liverpool & Victoria - be careful out there!
Old 16 September 2004, 05:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Try Keith Michaels mate! They're not bothered about PPP

Best.
Old 16 September 2004, 05:45 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Or an AXA policy through A-Plan broker. They know what the PPP is.
Old 16 September 2004, 06:01 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trubwrx
i asked them (L&V) to confirm ppp and brake upgrade cover in writing and they then stated 'in writing' that they could not insure me as the car was modified.

search for my recent post on Liverpool & Victoria - be careful out there!
Odd?!
I was covered by L & V for PPP & Prodrive brakes and they didn't add any extra.
I didn't mention PPP by name, just as an engine mod and exhaust change.
Old 16 September 2004, 10:06 PM
Beefy
Scooby Regular

Location: Wagons rolllllll yippee kai ayyy ..errrr ...etc ..etc

L&V told me as long as my mods didnt change the capacity of the engine they werent bothered and my premium stayed the same...
Old 16 September 2004, 10:25 PM
Superloop
Scooby Regular

I've insured my new WRX with PPP at Liverpool Victoria

Best quote by loads WITH PPP on

You however need to make sure they put the car as a WRX AWD ProDrive

They have it on the system and you will not be pucker (IMHO) without your insurance schedule having the fact that the ppp is on.

Three times i rang and they went off to the supervisor each time and confirmed it was ok but nothing came through on the schedule. So i rang back and got a guy with a clue. He checked with underwriter and confirmed that PPP is ok but it must be stated. Cost me £150 over the standard WRX but i do a LOT of miles per year and cos of company cars only have 4 years NCB so all in all i'm happy with Liverpool Victoria and its on paper so i feel much better than relying on "well we record all our calls" as their callcenter peeps kept saying.
Old 17 September 2004, 08:08 AM
trubwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Superloop

They have it on the system and you will not be pucker (IMHO) without your insurance schedule having the fact that the ppp is on.

Three times i rang and they went off to the supervisor each time and confirmed it was ok but nothing came through on the schedule. So i rang back and got a guy with a clue. He checked with underwriter and confirmed that PPP is ok but it must be stated. Cost me £150 over the standard WRX but i do a LOT of miles per year and cos of company cars only have 4 years NCB so all in all i'm happy with Liverpool Victoria and its on paper so i feel much better than relying on "well we record all our calls" as their callcenter peeps kept saying.
i am writing to the Chief Executive of Liverpool & Victoria and asking for proper clarification of this whole issue because there could be a lot of people driving around with modified cars thinking they are insured but may not be.

if you think about it for them to say any modification is covered as long as the capacity of the engine does not increase must be wrong. you could have a 300 plus horsepower WRX running around with standard brakes and still be, in their books, the same risk as a standard unmodified car.

i am afraid i am a cynic and i believe in the old expression that 'if it sounds too good to be true it usually is too good to be true'.

i hope i am proved wrong and that i can insure a modified WRX at no additional premium.

i will keep you posted on any replies i get from L&V.

Last edited by trubwrx; 20 September 2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 17 September 2004, 09:53 AM
BradN
Scooby Regular

I'm insured with Privilege. I have an 03 Sti with PPP. When I told them I had the PPP it did not increase the premium and I made sure they put it on the insurance certificate too. My premium is £600'ish and I'm 38.
Old 17 September 2004, 10:41 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superloop

My L & V policy states its a Subaru Impreza WRX AWD with the following modifications:

Body/kit car mod (5 door lower spoiler)
Brake mods
Exhaust mods
Engine/carburettor mods

As I said, I never mentioned the PPP - just mods as described above, which didn't attract any extra premium from a std WRX.
I also made sure that I sent a letter to them that detailed the mods.

If your policy copy does not mention either PPP, Prodrive or itemised mods as above then you had better make sure that L & V REALLY are aware of what you have.

Nick
Old 17 September 2004, 02:45 PM
Scooby 1998S
Scooby Regular

Their website now states that they do not cover modded cars, so it would be interesting to see how they respond to trubwrx.

I'm also thiking of PPP my MY04, but I've still got to check out the insurance change. I currently pay under £1K.
Old 17 September 2004, 06:54 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby 1998S
Their website now states that they do not cover modded cars, so it would be interesting to see how they respond to trubwrx.

I'm also thiking of PPP my MY04, but I've still got to check out the insurance change. I currently pay under £1K.
me 2
Old 17 September 2004, 10:51 PM
tracktime
Scooby Regular

try NFU
Old 18 September 2004, 09:04 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

I think part of the confusion is that the insurance doesn't cover the mods themselves. In other words, you can insure a base car or one with a performance-enhancing mod, and normally they don't care either way. If the car is written-off you don't get the cost of the mod itself. That can be arranged, but if you don't pay extra for the mod then it isn't covered - after all they haven't asked for more money, so why should your aftermarket exhaust, wheels or chip be covered...

There are two reasons why the insurance company might want more money for a modified car - covering the write-off cost of what you added to the base car, and covering any increase in risk compared to a base car.

The bit that is different from just about all the other insurers is that they don't load your premium just because you've got mods, so they don't see mods as automatically increasing risk.

Anyway, that's what was explained to me a while back when I started with them. The website aims to keep it simple - no modified cars via the website.

trubwrx - some clarification would be A Good Thing, let us know what you find out.
Old 19 September 2004, 08:53 PM
NickyW
Scooby Regular

Just changed from Norwich Union to LV (£100 cheaper down from £485 to £385, MY97 turbo wagon) and mentioned I had SS exhaust, P/drive alloys & big brake kit fitted. Their reply was as long as there was no engine modifications there was no extra charge.
Old 20 September 2004, 11:30 AM
Superloop
Scooby Regular

Yeah - the point we're trying to make on this post is that its all very well them telling you all is fine on the phone but if its not on your schedule of insurance that the car is modified we think your at risk of your policy being null and void.