Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Admiral and Elephant.

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2004, 12:35 PM
Markys 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Admiral and Elephant.

Has anyone had any dealing with these two ? Seem good value and do mods.
Old 14 April 2004, 01:11 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

wouldnt touch admiral at all, wouldnt let them insure a pair of indistructable underpants.

really cant emphasive how useless they are, the way they dealt with my claim almost sent me grey at 19.

if you have to pay extra £200 to get insured with someone not affiliated with them then do it, it will be the best money ever spent
Old 14 April 2004, 02:15 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Admiral are pants. They seem to be quite friendly and courteous on the phone, but (in my experience) misinformed over legal matters.
A supervisor told me " (sigh), we just don't like modded vehicles" ... this was when I was asking about PPP. Never mind, I got a quote which was a whopping £760 CHEAPER than my renewal quote so I said goodbye Admiral.
Old 19 April 2004, 05:59 PM
toigye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markys 2
Has anyone had any dealing with these two ? Seem good value and do mods.
hi used elephant good cheap easy
Old 19 April 2004, 06:14 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

They're all a bunch of muppets, Elefart screwed me over on renewal a couple of years ago and below are a couple of stories of my "interaction" with Admiral and Bel(end) direct cos they're all the same company really. Aplogies for the length....
(Originally posted elsewhere)

There have been loads of threads about the cheapest insurance companies but in the past few months, I've discovered (and I'm sure I'm not the first) that it's what happens when you make a claim that counts.
I thought it might be useful for others if people could post the experience they've had when making a claim as that might provide more info and help people to reach a decision that's not entirely based on cost.

Here's mine:

March 2003- started a fully comp policy with admiral, very reasonable, a number of declared mods and 2 yrs NCB.
May 2003 - had a single vehicle accident where the car ended up undriveable.
This is where the fun starts....
I didn't have admiral recovery so called the AA, because it was an acident not a breakdown, they charge a fee. Admiral did not refund that fee.
Car was trailered to home to be picked up by repairer.
Following day, repairer picked up the car.
Admiral very clearly offer a "gauranteed" courtesy car "while the vehicle is being repaired" by their repairer so I called to arrange my courtesy car...
"The car has to be assesed to see if it's a right-off before you get a CC, you don't get a car if it's a right off"
"When will it be assessed?"
"Well, that model isn't in our system and our assesor is on holiday so it'll be a couple of weeks"
Several irate phone calls later, Admiral agree to have it trailered to another repairer.
Car gets assesed a couple of days later...
"Can I get my CC now?"
"It's been assesed but not approved"
"How long does that take?"
"Couple of days"
Couple of days later...
"Can I get my CC now?"
"Admiral have asked for an engineers inspection"
"So I don't get a car?"
"no"
"How long for the inspection?"
"Couple of days."
Turns out (after speaking to one of the guys at the garage) that Admiral sent the engineer to confirm the mods declared matched those on the car. His report then took "couple of days" to be approved. Because the garage were busy, they didn't start work for a couple of days.
At no point in the previous weeks had my car been classed as "being repaired" so at no point did I qualify for a CC.
When my repairs got approved (3.5k's worth) and they actually picked up a spanner, I qualified for a CC, surprise suprise, they had none available.
Not only does your car have to be actually being worked on, the gauranteed CC is "subject to availability".
It's all in the small print it seems.
In the end, I got a Micra for three days.
I'm lucky that I don't use my car for work, if I had, I'd have been severely out of pocket while they farted around.

The repair was good, they even put on the same spec tyres and replaced the missing undertray but the whole process was a shambles.

Now when I come to renew, they hike the premium (almost double). I asked about reverting some mods to standard to save money and they say "it doesn't save you any money to take them off because there was no charge to put them on". This is apart from the fact that it cost over 200 quid when I declared them!

Anyway, that's just my experience, I've complained many times and got basically nowhere and I cant be arsed persuing at anymore.
I'm not bitter (honest) but just beware that cheapest is not always best. These b'stards will take you every chance they get.

Oh, and check out the "personal Accident cover" it's a max of 5 grand and that's for loss of a limb or an eye.
"I've got a good online quote, I'd like to add another modification to that"
"Yes sir, what's the modification?"
"I've replaced the standard plastic dump valve with a stronger metal one, no power gain"
"Oh, hold on...........
just a minute..........
..... Sorry sir, we don't cover cars with dump valves"
"what if I return it to the standard Fiat item?"
"So it'll have a dump valve?"
"Yes"
"We won't cover a car with a dump valve"
"But you were ready to cover it 10 mins ago...?"
"Yes, but your saying it's got a dump valve now, we won't cover cars with dump valves, it's a new rule"
"So you'll not be renewing anyone currently insured with a Fiat Coupe or for that matter any turbo VW or Audi?"
"We won't cover cars with dump valves sir."

Muppets
Old 20 April 2004, 10:00 AM
Tearz
Scooby Newbie

Well I'm with admiral at the mo.

All seems well, no problems changing vehicles / cover / address and so on.

Not had to claim yet tho - hope it stays that way!

Don't think I could change insurers even if i wanted to, they're the only guys that would insure me on an impreza! (too young for tesco, L+V etc)
Old 20 April 2004, 01:18 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tearz
Not had to claim yet tho - hope it stays that way!

I hope it stays that way

You dont want admiral trying to sort out a claim for you, they cost me 2 years (1 year i couldnt get insured, costs too much, other year paid extortionate prices for a pos car).

The stress and hassle that came with them was so bad, at the end of the 2 years of them trying to sort my claim i sorted it myself thanks to the small claims court and some police.

Admiral - you know what you can do with your ******* parrot.
Old 28 April 2004, 04:49 PM
ariel
Scooby Regular

Admiral paid out on a total loss of £23,000 2 weeks to the day of my accident in my STi!
No complaints here.