Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Admiral Still Ripping Off

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2000, 08:25 AM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just had my renewal from Admiral.

Last year it was £530
This Year.... £890!!!

That's nearly 70% up after a completely clean year.

Fortunately (thanks to this BBS) I was expecting it and was prepared.

Ended up with Barclays/Privelige for £540 with better cover.

<Rant Mode On>

The REALLY annoying thing is that because last year I paid by Credit Card, Admiral were going to Automatically renew my policy and debit my card unless I told them not to!!
Cheeky ba***rds. Do they REALLY think I'm going to accept being ripped off??
I don't think so

They could have had another £500 or so off me this year, but no, they got greedy and now they get NOTHING.

Ha ha - it's their loss, not mine

<Rant Mode Off>

Paul L
Old 26 April 2000, 08:51 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Angry

Paul,

Agree with you Admiral are w*****s. It has just taken me 11 months to get my excess back after being hit up the rear whilst turning left onto my drive

If they had debited your card for the re-newal I am sure you could report them to the card issuer as I am sure that your card details must be destroyed by a retailer once the transaction has been completed.

Yex
Old 26 April 2000, 03:09 PM
AndyC
Scooby Regular

Angry

I was with Admiral a couple of years ago, and my renewal premium went up without explanation too. It's worth phoning and asking for a better quote - just say that you're about to start calling other companies and want to know the best quote they can do. I got an instant £40 discount on my previous car (premium was around £450) just for asking. This year I'm with Bell Direct who wanted a mammoth £1600 for my new unmodified UK Scooby - they knocked off £100 just for querying the renewal premium, and another £200 for accepting a £250 voluntary excess.

Needless to say I'm still phoning round, although the best I've managed so far is just over £1200 from the AA. I'm 25 with full NCB and a clean licence, and one very minor non-fault accident last year (bus reversed into me the wrong way up a single track road! Bus company paid in full). Other people on this bbs seem to be paying well under £1000 - what am I doing wrong? Help!
Old 26 April 2000, 04:06 PM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

I did phone Admiral - mainly to stop them debitting my card.

While I was on, all they could do was apologise for not being competitive this year - apparently their "loading" on Impreza's has gone ballistic this year due to recent claims.

Paul L
Old 26 April 2000, 04:49 PM
Annabel
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I have to say that I agree with all the above comments as far as debitting your credit card etc and with respect to the loaded premiums. In their defence, if you drive a modified grey import - wrong section I know - their quotes have been competitive. Yes, mine has gone up from 650 to 820 this year which is the pitts, but they were still the 2nd cheapest after a whole day ringing round and taking ALL the advice available from the BBS. I didn't change for the sake of 20 quid and because they DO make it easy for you to renew if that's what you want to do. I think it all comes down to personal experience - load of people singing Greenlights praises next door on the Grey Import section recently, but I wouldn't use them again - customer service - hah, but that's another story........
Old 26 April 2000, 11:04 PM
Edward
Scooby Regular

Try
Old 27 April 2000, 12:22 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Admiral were cheap at £680 4yrs NC , 26 and driveway parked. Couldn't get some most companies under a grand for just a '95 UK standard turbo!!!

Trending Topics

Old 06 May 2000, 12:09 AM
simon james
Scooby Regular

Angry

Yeh, I agree with the above posts.
Admiral are absolute tossers.

They trie to put my premium up by about 50%
and played the same stunt with the credit card.

One day they will be exposed, hopefully on national telly.....

Oh yes, I beleive getting cash out of them for a claim is, well, like trying to get a rebate from Arthur Dayley (or is it Dailey),
or a round of drinks from Del Trotter.

Did you know that "DAM LAIR" is an anagram
of Admiral ????
Ha ha.
Simon

Old 08 May 2000, 10:36 AM
drew
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

It seems that I am the only one who has good service from Admiral. I wrote off a MY 99 in January. Admiral paid up £20,000 with in 3 weeks of me putting in the claim form. I did not think this was bad biased on the falling price of second hand scoobies at the time.
When I came to insure the replacement car, a MY00 Admiral only increased the premium by 200 squids despite me loosing all my NCB.
Old 08 May 2000, 11:42 AM
Greig
Scooby Newbie

Angry

Can't agree more about Admiral. Complete bunch of tossers.......

23, 4 yr's NCB, garaged. (Clean year)
Last Year (£860), this year (£1080)

Last year they gave a competitive quote which I accepted. This year is has gone up by 25%ish. I kicked up a right stink and they knocked 10% off for me. Still not good enough....

They have just lost another customer......

Anyone know any other good insurance companies for scooby's ?

Old 08 May 2000, 01:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I'm with Annabel on this. My WRX Wagon, with it's mods of full HKS SuperDrager exhaust, HKS Mega Flow Filter thingy, lowered suspension, and non standard alloys, is insured with Admiral for aprox £1400, this also includes Susie who's only been driving for 2 years and is classed as high risk.

I *know* this is the UK section, but as imports are usually higer ins group, thus higher premium, it is sort of relevant.

Guess I'll have to wait till next year to see what increase I'll get!

BTW - I phoned Adrian flux who were quoting me a grand for the car, then I mentioned I wanted susie put on the policy, and they then said that it would be 2.5k please sir!!! That's why I'm with Admiral!
Old 09 May 2000, 12:18 PM
simon james
Scooby Regular

Yeh, I agree about the NFU, very competetive,
and I can confirm that they are very very good about claims.

I suppose they are really geared to the
rural user, however they will quote the same as anywhere else.

WRT Admiral, it is not just their increased
premiums that poses a problem for me, but their (ahem) possibly ethically questionalble
use of the old visa card number. The audacious assumption that you will always renew, even with cheeky premiums, really gets up my nose.

Another anagram for Admiral = MAD LIAR

Bye bye ripoff artists.......

Old 16 May 2000, 08:51 AM
Matt Dowding
Scooby Regular

Angry

I think I've just beaten you all. I'm currently with Admiral and paid £600 last year. This year I've had one very minor claim but as the other party hit me I'm getting my excess back and I don't expect it to affect my premium. However, Admiral have decided they want, wait for it, £1400 this year. Ridiculous. Starting phoning the brokers and have already got it down to £800-£900. Interestingly, Admiral were prepared to knock off £100 just because I complained. Still not competitive though.

Matt
Old 16 May 2000, 10:51 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Has anybody tried Kwik Fit for a standard UK car? They originally insured me on my WRX at £280 fully comp until they realised it was an import and dropped me like a hot potato (and yes I repeatedly told them it was an import)
Old 16 May 2000, 11:53 AM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Red face

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>
<B>Has anybody tried Kwik Fit for a standard UK car[/quote]

Tried using Kwik-Fit on my old Mazda. They completely screwed up on everything that they did. I had a policy on my old car and I wanted to buy the MX-3 so they gave me a quote which I liked. I then bought the car and my premium went up 150% (not what they had quoted at all)!!! They didn't get the car details right until about the 3rd time they sent the policy schedule. Also when I came to renew (didn't cancel as only had about 2 months for another years worth of no claims), I decided to cancel because of the grief they gave me. Upshot of this was that they ended up taking two monthly direct debits from my account (one for the old amount, and one for the renewal amount.)

Needless to say I was not impressed, but this still took weeks to sort out. The whole year I was with them smacked of gross incompetence (a requirement in the insurance industry?)

For my sins I am now with Admiral. OhMyGod.

Joolz
Old 16 May 2000, 10:11 PM
simon james
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Wot, someone worse than Admiral ??
I don't credit it.

Sometimes, just sometimes, it is good to have my fears that I are becoming paranoid dispelled. Yes, Admiral are really tyring to rip your off, it is not just me but thousands or 100's of thousands, of others too.

Just think of the cash they are making.
Just think what would happen if Sainsbury's did the same thing, and "automatically" charged you for the same shopping each week, irrespective of whether you had actually purchased it. Oh yes, and put up the price 100-200 % between shops.

Ug. *******s.
Old 17 May 2000, 01:24 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Ok, I've jumped ship from Admiral. But to defend them, I've also found them to be mega efficient, professional and (in the past) extremely reasonable on price.

So guys, stop taking it so personally, it's just that your details will pump a certain figure out of their computer which may or may not be as competitive as another firm. I very much doubt that there is a 15% extra rip off charge applied randomly (or indeed selectively) to existing customers.
Old 20 May 2000, 03:15 PM
sjames
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Are you in the employ of Admiral????
;-))

I think the posting here are entirely contrary to what you are saying.

Yes the premiums do indeed go up and up.
And yes the service is crap.

Old 22 May 2000, 08:49 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Angry

The service Admiral provide is not crap it's b******s. I was hit from behind on 3rd may 1999 and it took 11 months to get the case to court where it was completely shot to bits by the judge because of it's poor preparation I was lucky to get agreement to settle the action from the defendants solicitor as their case was equally badly prepared. The agreement was to repay my excess and re-instate my no claims after the defendant's insurers had paid Admiral for the damage, this was done the next day.

However, the excess cheque took 3 weeks to arrive and was not signed so had to go back !!! And, I still have not received the over paid premiums refund I was promised the same day as "someone" at Admiral has to check it

So, Admiral are w*****s Q.E.D.

Yex

Had to edit to tame it down a bit

[This message has been edited by Yex (edited 22-05-2000).]
Old 22 May 2000, 09:45 AM
Branners
Scooby Regular

Admiral have put the price up for everybody. I saw my Supra go from £610 to £890. I shopped around and nobody could beat it so I called Admiral and said I was looking around and said that I expected to pay £700 not £900 and they reduced it down to £780 with very little pushing.

That said they then quoted my renewal for my Cavalier at £690 and I have found somebody that will do it for £475, so they still arent that good.

If you have an import and you are over 30 then give OPi a go, they seem pretty good especially with modifications.
Old 22 May 2000, 04:27 PM
PT
Scooby Regular

Branners,
Do you have a number for OPi.
Old 22 May 2000, 08:46 PM
simon james
Scooby Regular

Angry

Great - glad we are back on track with the Admiral slagging.

This is all a part of rip-off Britain, of course.

The punters will eventually wake up to
the big rip off and vote with their feet.

The acid test is what happens when you make a claim, sound like you are more likely to get a Christmas bonus from Scrooge than
get a claim settled satisfactorily by the
Nautical ********.....

Old 22 May 2000, 10:12 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

I knew somebody would ask so I just trawled through the UK Supras site and heres the number
0870 242 0800
we deal with a guy called Tony, but anybody there should be able to help. They have a deal with the GTiR owners club to give them discount so they should be okay with the slightly slower Scoob (flames ahoy)

let me know if they do a good quote.