Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

insurance for track days?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2003, 10:56 AM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
Im going to Knockhill next month and was wondering what people do about there insurance? can you get seperate insurance for the day or just run the risk?
I phoned my insurance (tesco) and they said they wouldnt do it
any help

Sy
Old 23 April 2003, 11:00 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

ask in the insurance forum or phone knock hill think u may be able to get insurance for about £100 for the day.

ciaran
Old 23 April 2003, 11:00 AM
goonasuk
Scooby Regular

there are some companies that will cover cars on track days - just do a search on Google - or there is probably something on this board somwhere under the insurance section
Old 23 April 2003, 11:01 AM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

why bother with insurance?

You can always get it trailered off the track then claim it was an accident on the highway.
Old 23 April 2003, 11:02 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Track day insurance (when you can get it) probably costs £50-£150.

There was a vid on here, search for "how to kill an Evo", about an Evo VII on track in France. True he was a bit mental, but he caught a wheel on the edge of the track, and rolled it three times at high speed. Over thirty grand's worth of new car was an absolute write-off. I've never been on track, but I haven't forgotten the vid!

If you want to risk that for the price of three tanks of petrol, go ahead

Edit - I found the thread (and another), but the vids have disappeared.

[Edited by Brendan Hughes - 4/23/2003 11:07:16 AM]
Old 23 April 2003, 11:11 AM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

i know most people just run the risk but if it wasnt to expensive i would pay the extra cost, but 100- 150 k for the day is a bit extreme amd becomes a very expensive day.
Old 23 April 2003, 11:13 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

but think of the fact that it could be very very expensive and it is not just u on the track and what would happen if someone hit u?
Old 23 April 2003, 11:17 AM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

get car trailered off track and claim it was an "accident" on the road. pretty simple really.
Old 23 April 2003, 11:22 AM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

my mates with greenlight and they said they would insure him for the day for about 15-20 quid wich is what im talking about paying not 100-150 quid
Old 23 April 2003, 11:27 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

why bother with insurance?

You can always get it trailered off the track then claim it was an accident on the highway.

UNQUOTE

Ummmmm....an interesting idea and maybe not the comment to put on a public forum read by the majority of our (as in the communities) insurance underwriters....the above comments could "almost" be suggesting fraud....but I'm sure thats not what you meant....is it???????????????

Rum*
Old 23 April 2003, 11:31 AM
Ciaran
Scooby Regular

well its all fine claiming it happened off the track but surly u would need witnesses and proably the police to get involved and if it all goes petong then your ****ed arent u!!!!!!
Old 23 April 2003, 11:37 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd speak to those nice people at Eggar Lawson and see what rate you can get for the day...their number is you're interested is 0115 941 5255 ... their rates are quite reasonable

Rum*
Old 23 April 2003, 11:51 AM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

its only fraud if you get caught!

as for witnesses well you don't get many of them in the middle of nowhere.

Obviously I've never done this as I've never crashed during a track day.
Old 23 April 2003, 12:09 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

The police used to monitor the cars on KH a couple of years ago, so I think claiming it happened on the road could be dodgy, skid marks? damage to the hedge etc you ended up in? its not worth trying this IMO.
Old 23 April 2003, 12:13 PM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

if no one else is involved then the police don't get a call. Pretty simple eh?

The car goes on the back of the truck to wherever you want it dropped off. Then the claim goes in. No marks for anyone to look at just a straightforward case of driver error.
Old 23 April 2003, 12:23 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

The police around KH are pretty clued up, especially at track days, they do random patrols of the local roads, note reg plates of cars on the track etc, remember the police can now access the insurance database. I know of several people who have been stopped leaving KH and had tyres and stuff checked after they have been on the track. I am not trying to start a flame war or nothing just trying to give some advise that could save somebody a lot of trouble if it was to go pear shaped.
Old 23 April 2003, 12:24 PM
GU5
Scooby Regular

Surley the insurance is for other people as well?

You're driving round this track, you hit another car, ambulance has to take the other driver away and you'd say it didn't happen, you just lost in on a country lane??

Just to save a few quid on some insurance
Old 23 April 2003, 12:26 PM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I must admit I wasn't talking specifically about KH but track days in general- I don't like Scotland so would never go up there. Although I believe it is an interesting track it sounds as if it isn't worth the bother if the local filth are harrasing people enjoying a track day.

You would think they would encourage economic activity in such a depressed area rather than trying to stop it.
Typical police losers.
Old 23 April 2003, 12:35 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, why don't you like Scotland. It's got some of the best scoob road in the UK (especially up North)

Iain
Old 23 April 2003, 12:45 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Basal, if you ever get the chance get up to KH and try it, it takes some kahoonas to drive that track flat out, I've done in previous cars but wont be doing it in my scoob 'to scared of totaling it'. The track is really hard on brakes and tyres.
Quick lap.
Uphill straight about 90 in a decent car or more, into a downhill off camber right about 60/70, easy left immeditely<sp?> after, tiny straight to allow you to straighten the car up into a 40mph 90deg right, short straight into a right handed dip, out of the dip into the blind chicane, ****** 4th on the straight, brake and into 3rd for a 60/70 mph uphill right with a blind apex, run right out onto the rumble strip just avoiding the grass, 4th up to 90mph round the very easy left 'railway straight' then hard onto the brakes for the 15/20mph uphill haripin then deck it up the straight again for another go
I drove Silverstone after driving KH and it was easy compared to KH as you have tons more room for error, if you mess up at KH you can generally say you'll be looking at a repair bill.
Old 23 April 2003, 12:47 PM
KSY
Scooby Regular

I've taken my risk at Kames 3 weeks ago - and it would be a write-off under insurance but I'm fixing it for my expence, a pain in my wallet. Didn't even bother to try going through "road" insurance.

Most of times your premium will increase dramatically after a claim, so it's better to claim through a separate track day insurance.

Claim through a normal road insurance will mark your history for a few years, protected NCB may not always help.

Get track day insurance if you cannot afford fixing your car. I believe it should cost below 50 quid.

Also heard about track day insurance for the whole event instead of individual policies. It should be much cheaper then.

And dont, please dont listen to those advising to tow the car off the track and pretend it was a public road accident. You may possibly get away with that as some other ppl did, but insurance ppl learn from the claims and it's not guaranteed to work again around knockhill. Fraud isnt't fair. And you'll still have a claim in your history.
Old 23 April 2003, 01:50 PM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

yip KH is a challenge as you said the bend after the straight knocks you straight off the track if you dont slow down enough and no room for error.

Anyone going on the 24th May to KH its a SIDC event?

Sy
Old 23 April 2003, 02:07 PM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

juat tried that eggar lawson for a quote £86 for the day so alittle expensive but its worth it i suppose
Thanks for that