Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd car insurance, without paying a penny!!??

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2002, 03:26 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Angry

I have just been told i am moving office, from an OK, safe place in stockport to the centre of hell, Sharston/Wythenshawe!! Crime centre of the universe!

I am extremely pissed off about this and very concerned about my car being stolen, smashed up. My company has less parking spaces than cars so i most likely will end up parking outside the works carpark due to my hours worked. Even inside the carpark it isnt secure, no barriers, no security people. Quite simply i dont want to take my mint scoob there.

I have fully comp insurance on my scoob that gives me 3rd party cover on any car that is not owned by me. If my brother bought a shed and i used it to get to/from work would i be legaly insured to drive it? Does the car have to be covered by the owner? If i turn up in a £50 piece of crap every day maybe i wont be worrying all day and may get some work done. I dont care if its nicked, so not interested in theft cover, i just want to be legal!

I need a new job, i work for a bunch of tossers who reorganise the company every 6 months and dont know what the hell they are doing. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by johnfelstead - 7/27/2002 6:21:16 PM]
Old 27 July 2002, 03:46 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John

Your 3rd party cover for other vehicles will only apply if the car is already insured.

Russ
Old 27 July 2002, 03:47 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

why? where does it state that? it doesnt in my policy, all it states is that i can drive any car not owned by me.

Lets say i drive a car owned by someone else and they didnt bother to insure it, so they drove illegally, why would my own insurance be void? I wasnt aware. Or even i am asked as a favour to drive a car back for a friend who just bought it, why would my insurance not be valid there? It makes no sense for my cover not to be valid.

[Edited by johnfelstead - 7/27/2002 3:50:52 PM]
Old 27 July 2002, 03:56 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

this is what my policy docs say, as i understand it this is the minimum 3rd party legal cover required.

1. Indemnity to the Policyholder
We will indemnify you against legal liability for damages and claimants costs and expenses in the event of accident involving: (a) Your car.
(b) The driving by you, with the owner's permission, of any motor car not belonging to you and not hired to you under a hire purchase agreement provided that: (i) You are entitled by your effective Certificate of Motor Insurance to drive such a car.
(ii) You observe the licence conditions applicable.
(iii) There is no other insurance in force which covers the same claim.
(iv) The car is being driven in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

In respect of:
(i) Death of or bodily injury to any person.
(ii) Damage to property.
Old 27 July 2002, 06:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

John,
I use to use 2 cars, one for work and one for play so unfortunately i needed to start another policy but i would see if you can be a named driver on your brothers heap and do it that way?
I know some insurance co's do have policies that cover 2 cars for the same ammount but dunno off hand which ones they are (adrian flux springs to mind thou).

Tony
Old 27 July 2002, 06:43 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

i think you are missing the point tony. My brother wont have insurance on the heap, no one will. If it gets nicked, so what, its worth bugger all and i cant afford another claim at the moment, moving to this office is the last thing i need right now.
Old 28 July 2002, 12:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Not quite sure on that one then John but i still think that you need to have insurance on the car to get roadtax?? so you probably need to get the car insured
If it gets nicked just hope it gets burnt out, your excess will probably be more than the car's worth anyway but its not a nice area round there definately not so wouldnt take the scoob there.

Tony
Old 28 July 2002, 03:16 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If my brother buys a pre 1973 car, you dont need to buy road tax. Good point though!
Old 29 July 2002, 12:28 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

John, suggest speaking to Rum on this one. He knows his onions as he's been through policies to help out people - Blowdog springs to mind...
Old 29 July 2002, 12:41 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

You don't need to "buy" road tax but you do still have to queue and get a tax disc (although you pay nothing) so you would still require insurance, etc for that.

Saying that, if your policy document doesn't have a reg number on it then it wouldn't be a problem.
Old 29 July 2002, 12:47 PM
Brown Baron
Scooby Regular

I currently have two cars, only one of them is insured. When my scooby was off the road I rang my insurance company to ask if I could drive the other car on my insurance. I was told that I couldn't as I was the registered owner, if I wasn't it would have been ok, even if the car wasn't insured by the registered owner. Does this make sense?

Mike
Old 29 July 2002, 06:37 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

I've been told by a previous insursnce company that I could drive any vehicle that wasn't owned by me but only have 3rd party coverage.

If I'm driving the vehicle then surley it's irrelivent if the owner of the vehicle has it insured or not seeing as they're not the ones driving ??

Mike

[Edited by RB170 - 7/29/2002 6:48:59 PM]
Old 29 July 2002, 06:56 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

thats what i think is the case. I hadnt thought about the tax issue though. My certificate does say my reg number so not sure how i would get around that one. Maybe buy the car then scrap it when the tax is due! LOL
Old 30 July 2002, 11:17 AM
Brown Baron
Scooby Regular

John, a way round the tax issue, get your insurance to add the car as an additional vehicle for a couple of days, then use the cover note to get the tax. Worked for me, cost me £15 for a weeks insurance.
Old 16 August 2002, 05:19 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

I have looked into this too.

My insurer tells me that you can drive a road legal, taxed and moted car which has no insurance of its own. However, you are only insured whilst you are in the car. It would be illegal to get out of the car on a public roadway and the car's owner would be liable for leaving a vehicle on a public highway without adequate third party cover.

If you get out of your brothers car and it sets on fire and burns down a building (an insurance company office for example), then the owner would be liable for the damages..!!

Not sure if thats all correct, but Admiral told me this...