Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just AAsk, and the AA will say...

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2002, 11:27 AM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An abridged conversation:

Me: No convictions, 1 small claim, 1yr NCD, MY98 with Tracking Device, 29 years old, parked on street in London

The AA: that'll be 3700 pounds, sir

Me: No it won't.

How bad are the AA for anyone else?
Old 26 July 2002, 12:30 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Never ever, not EVER had a half decent quote from the AA. NOT EVER!
Old 26 July 2002, 06:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Their worst quote for me (10 years accident free, clean licence, 40YO, parked off-road, decent post-code, MY01 with PPP) was FOUR AND A HALF GRAND!!!

...so i went with Tesco for a fifth of the price!!!

mb
Old 29 July 2002, 12:32 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Ah, be fair though, they are the UK's biggest insurance broker so they must be really really good.

(That was sarcasm)
Old 30 July 2002, 02:10 PM
Somerset Yokel
Scooby Regular

Chiark - It depends who you work for

So every insurance company is good for every type of person and vehicle combination is it??????? I don't think so!

With my previous car, the AA were by far the cheapest, even compared with elephant.co.uk etc - so horses for courses is the point

[Edited by Somerset Yokel - 7/30/2002 2:11:18 PM]
Old 30 July 2002, 02:27 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Yokel

Unless I misunderstand, I think that Chiark is pointing out that if they are the "biggest" then you would have thought that they would offer a decent breadth of coverage for the types of vehicles they insure.

Just insuring more Nissan Micras than anyone else doesn't exactly make you the motorist's friend, does it? I can't imagine that the AA's approach just applies to Scoobies either. I wonder if they're any good for any performance cars.

The thing that wicks me off about AA insurance is that it's at odds with the reputation of the rest of the organisation IMHO. Their recovery and technical support lines are fantastic, in my experience. Why can't they make their insurance arm as good?
Old 31 July 2002, 06:05 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm sure they are just a broker and not an insurance company? Doesn't their add say something like they are a broker for 30 insurance companies? If so, you'd expect one of them could get you at least a quote in the same ball park (Never ever had a decent quote from them either )

On the note about thier recovery service - in my experience, the quality of that is poor also. The last three times I have needed them (spread over the last 10 years), I have had to wait 5 hours on the M25 on December 23rd, 5 hours mid Jan at a petrol station in North London and on the 3rd occasion, when a clutch cable broke and the guy turned up, I gave him the spare cable I used to carry in the boot and he decided a tow was in order [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] (It took me about 30 mins to fit myself when I got home )

Matt
Old 31 July 2002, 06:12 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised by that poor service, Matt.

We broke down in our first banger (Mk2 Cavalier, the shame of it) on the way to a wedding. Dropped a valve into the engine, so was pretty terminal. We broke down outside Manchester and got the car loaded onto a flatbed which then drove us to our hotel in Ramsbottom before getting the car transferred back to outside our front door in London. They should have dropped it off at a breakers and saved themselves the effort!