Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Tweeters!

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2002, 06:17 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My MY99 has the front JBL speakers complete with the tweeters behind the little grill in the door handle. That's where they were anyway. With a small influence from this forum i have moved them to the small triangle bit of plastic on the inside of the wing mirror. All i can say is do it! It's moved the sound stage up and has given the tunes a real lift.
This move really is worth it for crystal clear music. If anyone else has done this do you agree?
Old 24 May 2002, 09:24 PM
globbits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell yes!
Not actually on a Scooby, but on every car I've even vaguely tweaked the choons on!

The tweeters do more to define the sound-stage of your system than any other components in your system. Moving them up, and (even better) aiming them upwards, makes a HUGE difference.

Has to be said though, the leading edge of the door isn't the best place either - since your average laid-back (read "boy racer") stance is with your right hand on the top of the wheel. End result - you block a lot of the sound from the drivers'-side tweeter with your arm

Best location I've found (so far) is to have them about 1/3 the way up the plastic cover-panel over the edge of the front windscreen. If you can put them there, aimed basically at the centre of the sunroof (both position in the car and height) then the sound comes to life incredibly.

Brun - might be worth trying reversing the phase to the passengers'-side tweeter (Just the tweeter.) Can't promise, because it depends on the stereo, speakers and car size, but you may well find that the imaging of the sound is improved by reversing that speaker's phase.

Oh, and if it doesn't help, try reversing the phase on both the mid and tweeter on the drivers'-side.

Happy tweaking!

Richard/globbits
Old 25 May 2002, 01:47 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like fun, i'll give it a stab.
Old 25 May 2002, 08:15 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick note to say I've found different tweeters have different dispersion patterns and so will give different results, so do have a play. Blutak's good for working out where sounds good

And some of the best imaging I've heard in an impreza was in an STI 7 that used the stock tweeter locations

Strange but true.