Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

How the hell do you make the tweeters work?

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2001, 03:49 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, I've noticed that next to the door handles are some tweeters on my my99 scoob.

No sound comes outta them...

The previous owner fitted an Alpine system in. Can I wire these tweeters up pretty easily? If so, how?
Old 25 November 2001, 04:00 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't want to be patronising, but are you meaning that there is a tweeter grille next to the door handle? All MY99/00's have that, but from the factory there is not tweeter installed unless you got the option (dealer fit tweeter kit).

If you flick off the grill and there is in fact a tweeter behind then you could potentially wire it in two ways. Look in the door for a passive crossover box that may have come with the components. On there will be some tweeter connections.

If not you could find out the model number of the tweeter and work out what size of capacitor to put in line with (by convention) the positive wire going to the tweeter. This would give you a 6dB/octave high pass filter. Some sort of filter is MANDATORY to run a tweeter - give it full range and it will blow. If you have a capacitor safely in line then you can parallel the tweeter connections across the woofer.

But I'm a bit puzzled - if there are tweeters there then why did the previous owner not connect them, and if they did why have they failed on BOTH sides of the car?

More detail required as above to help you further. Also are the woofers coaxial (ie have a tweeter suspended above the middle of the cone)?

See the suggestion thread from a few days ago with link to Chiark ICE FAQ with pictures of tweeter grilles and how to take them and the door trim off.

Hope this helps.

[Edited by john banks - 11/25/2001 4:02:29 PM]
Old 26 November 2001, 10:02 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

John,

Thanks for the reply - you are in fact correct - they are just grills. I was totally unaware (I only picked the thing up a couple of weeks ago).

Anyway, I was looking to get a more 3d soundstage (albeit rather artificial), but nevertheless more involving.

Hence I thought that I could wire the 'tweeters' up - perhaps not! Shall pursue that link you gave.

Once again, many thanks.

Old 26 November 2001, 10:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you have then most likely is a coaxial speaker with woofer and tweeter in the factory position. You could either:

1. replace them with components (this is what I did and it sounds best)
2. Buy a separate pair of tweeters and use the (hopefully supplied) in line capacitor and connect it in parallel with the coaxials. Then disconnect the tweeter in the coax. Or you could change using the capacitor on the coax.

option 2 is probably almost as expensive and just not as good. If you have £100 Infinity 605CS are great. I am one of the founder members of the Scoobynet 605CS appreciation society Wish I had shares. If you want something posher ask someone posher than me. But these cheapo speakers will not embarrass even a £200 amp and kick harder than most of their fighting weight and price, install easily and sound good quality with lovely silk dome tweeters.