Newbie - Blob replacement speakers found

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2013, 10:20 PM
callahan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - Blob replacement speakers found

Hi

New to the forum and I'm due to pick up my first Impreza next Friday and have already been looking at improving the sounds and found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hertz-Suba...item19e39171a6

Anyone used one of these kits? It does say that the mounting holes might need to be re-drilled for a newage car (which defeats the object of adaptors a bit....) but shouldn't be a problem.

Any help much appreciated.
Old 26 October 2013, 10:26 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just had my door cards off today to do some work on mine pal.....

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...obeye-log.html

So if you need and help in removing them without destroying the clips etc give me a shout. Subaru's are great to work on compared with other cars.....very easy
Old 26 October 2013, 10:32 PM
callahan
Scooby Regular

Wow, that is one great looking car.

I found this guide earlier: http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/mods/index.html

It seems that speakers and head unit are tricky to choose, I don't particularly want to weigh mine down either!
Old 26 October 2013, 10:36 PM
S555 MKR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers pal.

Yer that explains it probably better then I could lol

I am the last person to ask about ICE bud, my philosophy is 'less weight more speed'! I only have a head unit to listen to the radio now and then lol
Old 26 October 2013, 11:45 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have some of these in mine at the front, not these exact ones but posting these as they're in the same price range, but you won't go far wrong with MB Quart.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MB-Quart-R...item232da21943
Old 27 October 2013, 04:30 PM
callahan
Scooby Regular

Thanks, would you still go for the adapters off the other link I put above, you can get it from the same place without the speakers?
The speakers need to be happy running of the head unit as I just can't be bothered with a full install at the moment....
I was thinking about this for the head unit: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jvc-...kw-db60at.html
Cheers

Last edited by callahan; 27 October 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 28 October 2013, 10:16 AM
scoobyrou
Scooby Newbie

I changed my speakers to Vibe Slicks a couple of years ago and what a difference. I am still happy with the sounds and by going for 6" components on the front transforms the sound giving me more frequency range... Well worth the effort.

The fronts where uprated to 6" components. Because of the depth and size increase, I used Vauxhall Corsa Adapters.
When I installed them I made new holes through the plastic adapters, by doing this I did not have to drill into the scoob's doors.

The rears-- I uprated them and kept the same 4" size as I had the base from a sub coming from the boot. The high and mid's were vastly improved and the lows with a noticeable difference.
There were no modifications required.

The front and rear speakers are under the door cards, thus keeping the OEM look.

I was looking to change the head unit, but was pleased with the results from just the speaker/sub upgrade. I decided to keep the OEM look of the face lift blob eye centre console and not have a miss-match of finishes I.e black ice surround and gunmetal plastics.
Old 28 October 2013, 11:43 AM
callahan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that scoobyrou, I have been looking at the Vibe speakers too, but want a really simple install, which is why the kit I linked to is so tempting. I have heard mention of the Corsa adapters elsewhere, so you have a link to them?

These ones? http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/con-...ont-165mm.html
Old 28 October 2013, 07:50 PM
scoobyrou
Scooby Newbie

With the fronts you have 5.25 components.
The install is fairly basic, if you've got a logic head.

When you buy a component set up, you get a tweeter and mid/low woofer. These are linked by a wire which is supplied in the box.

When you take the door panel off, you will see the standard wiring going to the Mid/low woofer and then from there another wire to the tweeter.
Detach the main wire and then remove both speakers and the wires connecting them.

When fitting, the mid/low fits first then using the supplied wire connect it to the tweeter (this will need a supplied bracket, just bend/flex to fit) . To finish off connect the stereo feed wires to the Mid/Low.

If you go for the 6", use the Corsa spacers, this will mean that the speakers will sit further from the door and the rear part of the speaker fit nicely with no cutting the panel. The door card still sits as it should. Don't use the speaker guards, unless you want to show them off.

If your keeping the standard head unit and looking to get a sub, it's a bit more involved.... All you need to do is look at it logically.

Hope that helps you a bit.
Old 28 October 2013, 08:50 PM
callahan
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I have installed a few bits in cars over the years so can manage the basics, I just can't be bothered to go there again!

I'll start with just the speakers for now (either the 5.25" ones, or the adapters and 6.5s) then see how it goes with the head unit.

Cheers
Old 31 October 2013, 10:41 PM
callahan
Scooby Regular

I've been recommended these speakers over on talk audio: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/her-...dsk-170.3.html

Anyone know if they will fit?
Old 01 November 2013, 02:30 PM
wrx5343
Scooby Regular

i made spacers out of mdf