ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

DYNAMAT DILEMMA!

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2013, 11:18 AM
stand easy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYNAMAT DILEMMA!

Hi all. Ok, does anybody have any experience or knowledge of having to remove soundproofing particularly from a blobeye front doors. (Planning on using self adhesive dynamat)is it a nightmare or does it come off fairly easy if need be? I have found a lot of helpful information by trawling older posts but as I am nearly ready to start I can't help wondering 'what if' I need to access parts of the door hollow to repair or replace window motors etc. also should I cut out all areas where there is a bolt head? Obviously keep wiring looms free and locking mechanisms but should I keep the side impact bar exposed or would that spoil the sound deadening result (recently spent a lot on new head unit and speakers and still gettin poor sound) basically any more tips or experience in using the stuff would be helpful. Little worried about entombing my doors. Thanks
Old 15 March 2013, 01:02 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends how far you want to go with the stuff. You can spend ages doing everything and anything on the doors or concentrate on the speaker area. I just did around the speaker and behind it and it helped a lot. You have to be careful not to put too much on face of door or you will struggle to get door card back on.
Old 15 March 2013, 01:43 PM
stand easy
Scooby Regular

Ye that's a good point cheers. Glad it does have an effect then. Did wonder how much wasn't enough if you get me. Not after trebling the door weight. Any other tip tricks or hints anyone?
Old 15 March 2013, 02:37 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my blob sti
Old 15 March 2013, 03:10 PM
stand easy
Scooby Regular

Thats great, Looks a lot tidier a job than others I've seen. Cheers for that. Helps a lot. Does that make a definite difference then? I've read that the idea is to make a better enclosure for the sound from the speakers-as in block all the holes up? That not necessary?
Old 15 March 2013, 03:13 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by stand easy
Thats great, Looks a lot tidier a job than others I've seen. Cheers for that. Helps a lot. Does that make a definite difference then? I've read that the idea is to make a better enclosure for the sound from the speakers-as in block all the holes up? That not necessary?
the problem with impreza doors is they vibrate a lot, the dynamat stops this and a sheet of it isnt very heavy, i also have used spacers and fitted bigger speakers.

the sound is only as good as the stuff you fit really, get a decent head unit and speakers and it will be ok
Old 16 March 2013, 12:01 AM
stand easy
Scooby Regular

Thanks pal. Bit more confident at getting it started now.

Trending Topics

Old 16 March 2013, 12:17 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Where is the best place to dynomat for reasonable money?
Old 16 March 2013, 11:46 AM
stand easy
Scooby Regular

I found that Internet prices were all roughly the same and through the post is most convenient for me. If your planning on doing a fair bit ie doors and boot etc then a bulk pack is the one. This is the eBay link and car audio direct came in at almost the same price
http://bit.ly/ZYJ8dk
Old 16 March 2013, 05:26 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I did my boot area with silent coat. Seems to be good stuff and very reasonably priced.

There are theories out there that sound deadening a panel only requires around a quarter of the panel to have deadening material on it (in the centre of the panel), anything more is just adding weight. Not sure if it's true but there are some videos on YouTube that experiment with the theory.

Keep meaning to get some more to do the doors.