ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

605s and dynamatting

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2001, 07:16 PM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Spent Saturday and Sunday morning with the doors of my MY00 in pieces. Dynamatted both front doors with the "Extreme" stuff and fitted the Infinity 605s per Chiark's instructions - dead easy. Only fiddly bit was fitting the Dynamat - I seem to have cuts all over my hands!

If anyone's thinking of doing this - just do it. It makes a HUGE difference to the sound quality (and I'm only running the speakers off my head unit at the moment - about 18W RMS per speaker!)

The Dynamat makes a huge difference to the rigidity of the outer door skin - if you rap it with your knuckles now it makes a dull thud, rather than a tinny hollow sound. Impressive.

Now need to Dynamat the rear doors, amp the front speakers, fit a sub..... (where's my credit card!!)

Dave
Old 29 October 2001, 07:33 PM
necromax
Scooby Regular

How much Dynamat did you use for the two doors?
Old 29 October 2001, 08:15 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I know you're not asking me here but depending on how much you feel like doing (& spending!), a single sheet of the extreme should do both backs of the doors (the bit that the other side of metal faces the outside world) if cut long-ways, and there's a smidgen left over then.
I actually used a whole roll on each door - or pretty much - by doing the half-width on the inside like above & then covering up as much of the inside panel (the side against the card) with more (carefully avoiding tacking the door-opening wire thingies), this covering up most of the gaps in the door. Doing the outside skin makes the car quieter - well, less vibraty anyway - & makes the bass more solid & 'faster' (as well making the car sound like it's made from something other than tin foil when shutting the door), and doing the inside got rid of an annoying rattle on the big-bass tracks & also removed a few frequency gaps in the bass that the front speakers seemed to have. And seemed to do wonders to the imaging as well for some reason (probably because the base wasn't cancelling out in the places where the holes in the door were).
Doors weigh a ton now! Worth it though...
Old 30 October 2001, 08:57 AM
DaveMcC
Scooby Regular

Necromax

I bought 1 roll (4ft sq) to do both doors, but managed to use nearly all of it on 1 door, so had to buy another roll!

I only covered the outer door skin, but did both halves of it (ie above as well as below the side impact bar. The top half is a bit fiddly cause you can only get to it from 2 holes in the bottom half of the inner skin - my hands and forearms are currently a bit of a mess as the metal edges are quite sharp!

I didn't do the inner skin cause it's not a flat panel, so is less likely to vibrate. Also I used the Subaru plastic speaker mounts together with the Infinity adaptor rings, so figured the mounting probably isn't that rigid anyway. Still seems to give good bass though, but I'm not running an amp yet - may need to do the inner skin after I amp the speakers.

As Necromax says, Dynamat is quite heavy and the doors now shut with more of a quality thud rather than a clang!

Dave

[Edited by DaveMcC - 10/30/2001 8:59:18 AM]