ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Vibe Underseat Sub - Review

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2012, 12:26 PM
Hellbilly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibe Underseat Sub - Review

Right, I know I have mentioned this in another thread, but thought it might make it easier for refference if I posted a dedicated thread. Likewise, I will be posting some more threads to look at the other components of my install.

I would like it known that I am not a professional ICE installer, nor am I an audio purist; Im just a normal guy who wants a decent in car sound system, for minimal outlay and without cutting the interior about in order to fit stuff. As a service technician, I do posses knowledge, experience and tools necessary to do the job, and dont intend this to be a 'how-to' guide, but if I discover any tricks (or make any mistakes) as I go along, I will be sure to share them.

In short, my reviews are real world and hopefully of use to other enthusiasts planning their own systems.

Finally, if you are a company that would like to send me your product to review, then I would be happy to do so

Last edited by Hellbilly; 14 August 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 14 August 2012, 02:44 PM
Hellbilly
Scooby Regular

++ ON TEST : VIBE OPTISOUND AUTO 8 - ACTIVE ++

Comes in a nice sturdy box, with colour pictures, blah, blah, blah

Even before you open the box, you know that this is a weighty piece of kit; As Boris the Blade would tell you, 'Weight is sign of reliability'.

Upon gleefully flinging back the lid, I was confronted by a nice functional looking unit, with no in-your-face bling, but plenty of subtle styling; pity I'm going to hide it under the seat

Name:  2012-08-14135314.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  21.4 KB
Name:  2012-08-14134826.jpg
Size:  109.3 KB
*Today, we will be using the 'Kellogs Variety Pack' (KVP) standard of scale*

On the subject of wiring, I would have liked to see all of the connectors grouped together, so that I could present a 'blank' side to the toes of a rear passanger. As it is, I am already worrying about the possibility of wiring being accidentally kicked off.

Name:  2012-08-14134955.jpg
Size:  94.2 KB
Name:  2012-08-14134915.jpg
Size:  95.1 KB
*Could have grouped connectors together. Note rust on screw heads*

Anyway, I digress. Or do I? On the subject of wiring, the lengths and weights supplied really shocked me. Who hasn't opened a peice of audio equipment, to find that the wiring is thinner than headphone cable, and the quantity is generous enough to run to 4" short of where you want to fit the thing?

Not so here, I am pleased to report Good heavy wiring, decent lengths (though the install will prove this), and quality additions, like an inline fuse holder and multipin connector plugs. Hell, they even include a dual RCA lead, and one that looks to my eyes like reasonable quality. Hell of a thing...

Now then, a few words of warning to the shopper; the Optisound 8 comes in Passive (needing an external amp) and Active (like mine, and has an amp built in). I think that it's great that they give their customers this choice, but just be aware that the cosmic deal you are geting on ****.com might be for the passive unit. Also (and much to my surprise) my unit has no provision for the remote gain controller. This isn't a problem for me, as I will manage gain level through the settings on my headunits' Sub RCA outs. There is a gain **** on the side, if you want to cap the gain during setup, as I may well do. Buyer beware....

Out of the box, it seems sturdy, stylish and certainly well appointed in the cable department.

Keep tuned to find out how well it installs

++ OVER & OUT ++

Last edited by Hellbilly; 14 August 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 14 August 2012, 02:53 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im quite interested in this having ugraded my speakers and not wanting anything to big in the car

Last edited by tubbytommy; 14 August 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 14 August 2012, 03:05 PM
Hellbilly
Scooby Regular

I ought to say, I'm just plugging in the info that I think is relevant, and for weights and measures you can always check out Vibes' website.

If you need to know anything specific, then just ask me
Old 14 August 2012, 08:38 PM
Hellbilly
Scooby Regular

Hmmm...

Trial fitted the sub this afternoon:

It looks like it will go between the rails length ways, but not quite. Add in the fact that the floor pan isn't level, under the seats; so it tends to sit quite high, and catches on the underside of the seat. I scratched the finish on the top of the unit, so I would advise you not to try it

Turn the unit 90 degrees and it will fit fine. Problem now is that it eats up all the 'toe' room for a rear passenger. This may not be a problem for you, but I often carry three passengers...

Plan B is to look at mounting the unit against the bulkhead in the passenger footwell. This would help the cable routing as well as the packaging?

Wanted to post this up, as it highlights the real world trials and tribulations, I guess?

If you're reading this, and thinking that you really want an underseat with minimal fuss; perhaps you could have a look at the Pioneer TS-WX110A? It's smaller and a bit 'squarer', so should fit under there with no sweat?

Last edited by Hellbilly; 14 August 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 27 August 2012, 12:36 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

could you mount these on the back of the rear seat ?? as iv already got the wires in place but no sub

stu
Old 27 August 2012, 01:12 PM
Hellbilly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stuart148
could you mount these on the back of the rear seat ?? as iv already got the wires in place but no sub

stu
The Vibe literature would lead you to belive so, but Im not sure that I would trust their mounting system with the weight of this unit over bumpy UK roads.

I would say fine if you were prepared to make up some additional brackets to help support it.

Stu
Old 27 August 2012, 01:13 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I also looked at getting a underseat sub, but the room under the impreza seat is very limited, so instead I opted for a flat sub and strapped it to back seats
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...7a_p-26562.htm