Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

which headunit controls music from an iphone but shows tomtom on the phone's display?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2011, 09:57 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which headunit controls music from an iphone but shows tomtom on the phone's display?

getting really annoyed with my cluttered layout so thinking about changing!

basically am wanting a headunit so i can connect my iphone4, to be able to both play music with control handled (skip/pause etc) by the headunit and have iphone itself mounted to my dash and the display showing the tomtom running as iirc most will do the old "pioneer/alpine accessory connected" message which locks out the iphone's display.

hitting a bit of a brick wall trying find out specific answers like this without having access to different headunits in front of me!

looking at:
-Alpine IDA-X305S (used a IDA313 model before but not tested with a iphone4 and tomtom so i'm sort of used to the layout/interface and you get all the ipod cables but no bt)
-Pioneer MVH-8300BT (bt but not keen on the control **** as is almost joystick like)
-Pioneer DEH-7300BT (cheaper, i *think* it does what i'm needing it to do, has bt but display looks fugly!)

looked at something called the oxygen o-car headunit, perfect except where the DIN slot is on a scooby, i don't want to have to be looking down there whilst driving to refer to my iphone's tomtom display!
Old 11 December 2011, 11:03 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i have a iphone 4 to and i have it plugged into my kenwood bt-40 plays pauses forwards my iphone music and its bluetooth for making calls aswell
Old 11 December 2011, 11:07 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

but are you able to use the kenwood to control the music whilst at the same time have an app display on the iphone (in my example, the tomtom app but it could apply to any app..)
Old 11 December 2011, 11:32 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

right just went out to my car plugged it in played a album then opened my angry birds app and i can play angrybirds and still change pause forward songs through the head unit all at the same time
Old 11 December 2011, 06:38 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

does the kenwood have a special interface cable, like the alpine does or is it a standard apple USB cable that you use?
Old 11 December 2011, 06:52 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

standard apple one plugs into the front
Old 11 December 2011, 07:16 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

ah right, cool. i assume you get all the standard playlist/artist/song selection type options via the headunit?
Old 11 December 2011, 07:19 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

yes get all that you can even scroll your text messages on the headunit bit daft if your driving
Old 11 December 2011, 07:45 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

thanks!
Old 12 December 2011, 04:59 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

well this has been a weird day, went round to different shop with my ipod cable. tested the pioneer deh7300bt at one shop and it duly did the "accessory connected" screen, grr! went past halfords so popped in as they had that model on at £119 which i thought was a good price as it the unit had BT.

tested it and this time it didn't do the "accessory connected" screen, wtf! tried different ones but eventually came back to the pioneer, tried it one more time and the "accessory connected" screen came back!

with the music still playing and without even thinking i pressed "home" on the iphone and it went to the main screen, went into the tomtom and tested and sure enough, yep it all works able to display stuff on the screen while controlling the music from the headunit.
Old 12 December 2011, 06:20 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

See the bt kenwood see when you connect the usb wire you can come in and out of accessory connected by pressing the number 1 preset button forgot to tell you that yesterday sorry