Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

should i replace my headunit? (iphone4 charging)

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2011, 11:04 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i replace my headunit? (iphone4 charging)

in my rb5, i have a pioneer AVH-P5900DVD, i have no beef with the unit itself, however it won't charge my iphone4 via the ipod cable (and im guessing its more the fact that its age of the headunit itself rather than cable or anything) as seems to be fine with older ipods and also the volume **** seems to have gone missing, grr!

i'd like to get something like the brodit dash mount (i think its called) to be able to use my iphone4 as a tomtom whilst at the same time, being able to charge it to negate any battery drain down to the gps but also use it as a source for music.

i know brodit have different charging options on their iphone4 holder. some are just the holder with the bottom exposed (cheaper) to get a iphone4 car charger and some have a cigarette connection (more expensive) built into the holder.

but then i'm left with carrying 2 devices around where 1 could realistically do all of it. does leaving an ipod connected all the time drain the car battery in any way?

in my old car i used to have an alpine xda311rr or something like that which does all i need and is able to charge an iphone4 via its cable. but having used the pioneer's touchscreen interface for a little, its growing on me as its more user friendly for song browsing/choosing. i got round this on the alpine by creating a playlist just for the car with songs i wanted, randoming on that playlist.

so my options are:
1) cheapest but more "hassle", keep the existing headunit, carry a separate ipod around just for in-car music and buy a mount with a cig charger to charge my iphone4 and see if i can source a new volume ****, or replacement faceplate.

2) expensive and less hassle, replace with a single DIN headunit with a screen that pops out (with a touchscreen ideally but i don't care for dvd/vcd etc) and buy a mount with a no charger options and use the cable from the headunit to plug into the mount and carry just my iphone4.

any suggestions?
Old 29 November 2011, 01:41 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

cheapest way: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Port-...item20be49f9aa

Give that a go. The cigarette lighter is not a permanent live, so it wont charge whilst ignition is off, so wont drain the battery.
Old 29 November 2011, 06:10 PM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

i still would need a decent iphone mount and the brodit mount has a cigarette plug at the end of it, trying to make things as less cluttery things as possible.

i'm leaning more and more towards keeping my current setup and just buying a brodit (w/cig charger plug)
Old 15 December 2011, 01:40 AM
brocks
Scooby Regular

You can also buy a 12v - 5v converter which makes the iphone 4 compatible with earlier charging Iphone compatible stuff, about £6 on Ebay
Old 15 December 2011, 10:13 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

^^ didn't even know that was even possible! ended up buying the pioneer deh7300bt as it had bluetooth and did what i needed.