ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

blobeye speakers

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2011, 09:54 PM
mikey30
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blobeye speakers

anyone recommend a decent set of front and rear speakers ...replaced standard with infinity bout 6 months ago and man they are ****
any ideas??
have 6.5cms up front and 5.5cm on rear!!!
Old 14 April 2011, 01:41 AM
RE54
Scooby Regular

im guessing you mean 6.5in and 5.25in rear?

whats your budget?

if you want a real nice and loud sound, the only way to go is component's and run them off an amp. you will get a good sound from some speakers off a headunit, but if you compare them being run from an amp, you will be blown away.

as far as speakers are concerned, your limited as to what size speaker to fit, due to depth. how have you got your 6.5's fitted in the front? did you make the the spacer yourself?

i fitted some middle range hertz 6.5 in the front, a bit of a pain, but worth it. (i used some adaptors from the states that made the job much easier)

if you tell me your budget, il recommend a few ideas, but heres my thread on what i did, so if you have any questions, just ask.

https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/8696...-progress.html
Old 14 April 2011, 08:46 AM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

hello mate i've seen your post, already and changed my sound system fitted new head unit, sub, amp, std speakers are ****e they distort very easily and the radio is ****e aswell lol, could you recommend me some speakers for the front and rears pls?

for the front i was thinking of these http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4886.html

& these for the rear

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4885.html

what do you think, they'll be ok or crap, i'm guessing i'm going to have to run them off an amp, as sound quality is quite crap in the car, and what would i need to sort the radio out?

regards

VJ
Old 14 April 2011, 09:52 PM
mikey30
Scooby Regular

@re54
thanks for your reply mate...
i have spacers i got a guy in uk to make for me ...bout an inch thick.not really on a budget as i am pissed with current setup..very bad distortion even at half volume.i have already fitted out every door with the sound deadining sheets as i thought the actual door with vibrating.also is there a better way of connecting wires to speakers as spade connections dont seem the best..maybe i should solder them...
very interested in your ideas lad..
cheers
Old 15 April 2011, 12:33 AM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BAD BOY V
hello mate i've seen your post, already and changed my sound system fitted new head unit, sub, amp, std speakers are ****e they distort very easily and the radio is ****e aswell lol, could you recommend me some speakers for the front and rears pls?

for the front i was thinking of these http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4886.html

& these for the rear

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/4885.html

what do you think, they'll be ok or crap, i'm guessing i'm going to have to run them off an amp, as sound quality is quite crap in the car, and what would i need to sort the radio out?

regards

VJ
if your running a decent headunit, sub and amp, you should be looking at something a bit better for speakers. components would be first choice, i would spend the whole budget on the fronts, and leave the rears as standard, you as a driver hear them, and is what most of the experts tent to do, and just have cheap or standard rear speakers for some rear fill.

on a budget of say £50, theres not much to choose from, but if you can stretch a bit more...

£60, good value JBL...

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jbl-gto6508c.html

my prefered budget choice if you can stretch to £90
(hertz in general are very hard to beat for value for money, offering the best sound for the least money, when people ask on a specific car audio site, if the budget is say £75-£150 for front speakers, 9/10 hertz are recommended)

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hert...i-dsk-165.html

both these speakers require either home made adaptors, or the ones from ebay in my thread. should sound good of a decent aftermarket headunit.
Old 15 April 2011, 12:43 AM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikey30
@re54
thanks for your reply mate...
i have spacers i got a guy in uk to make for me ...bout an inch thick.not really on a budget as i am pissed with current setup..very bad distortion even at half volume.i have already fitted out every door with the sound deadining sheets as i thought the actual door with vibrating.also is there a better way of connecting wires to speakers as spade connections dont seem the best..maybe i should solder them...
very interested in your ideas lad..
cheers
what do you currently have fitted?

even budget branded stuff should sound 10x better than factory AS LONG as you have fitted it properly. things worth considering...

insure a tight fit of the speaker to the door, i use single sided foam to insure an air tight seal, the speaker uses the door as a box, so if there not mounted correctly they wont sound as good.

make sure they are wired up correctly, i forget which colour is what, but try and make sure they are done right, ie + to +, and - to - on each speaker.

make sure the speaker isnt fouling the door card, i cut away some of the un needed plastic from the door card, and had to fit a screw around the speaker, to keep the door card pushed away from the speaker, as when it was played loud, the cone moves loads, and hits the door card, making a funny noise (this is an issue when fitting 6.5 speakers with big spacers)

check your settings on your headunit, READ THE MANUAL, a system set up well can sound so much better, if you know what you are doing. start by setting up your speakers first, then add the bass. youll need to learn what cross overs do, and what settings are best for your choice of music, but it isnt hard to pick up. try and do this with a genuine CD and pick a few popular tracks as a test song, and play around until it sounds best.

as for wiring and connections, i used crimps and spade connectors and havent had any problems. i did use to solder things, but it was a headache when i wanted to change things, just make sure you get a good tight fit.

these are just some of the things i have had issues with, and also note, that no matter how much you spend on front speakers, you wont release there true potential until you run them off an amp. a headunit says it puts out 50w x 4, well thats more like 15wRMS x4, and the RMS values are the true ratings, and are what you should be looking for when pairing up speakers to amps etc. so a small amp would put out 50w x 2 or 4, and something bigger even more, so you can see its a huge amount more power for your speakers! i highly recommend this option

Last edited by RE54; 15 April 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 15 April 2011, 08:49 AM
BAD BOY V
Scooby Regular

hello Re54, thanx for the reply i'll look into it!

regards

VJ
Old 03 May 2011, 07:09 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikey30
anyone recommend a decent set of front and rear speakers ...replaced standard with infinity bout 6 months ago and man they are ****
any ideas??
have 6.5cms up front and 5.5cm on rear!!!

+1 on this, recently installed my Kenwood only to find the standard speakers crap themselves at anything abover half volume!! Is there a speaker that will replace the standard like for like without adpators etc? Looking at maybe £100 budget?
Old 03 May 2011, 08:47 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

nothing will fit, without spacers, etc.

the stock size are very odd, the links in my thread show where to order them, to all 6.5 which offer the best size.

£100 should get some nice components that will fit and sound nicely, and also option to amp them later.
Old 06 May 2011, 06:22 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RE54
nothing will fit, without spacers, etc.

the stock size are very odd, the links in my thread show where to order them, to all 6.5 which offer the best size.

£100 should get some nice components that will fit and sound nicely, and also option to amp them later.

Just caught your reply, thanks i know what i'm doing now.. i'm a JBL fan so all going well will replace all four in time.. only issue i now have is the amount of slight rattles in the cabin when playing bassey tracks.. drivers door window for a start..

who would be the best bet for spacers fella?

think these would fit a blob?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOLEADS-SUBA...item45f9d0fa35

Last edited by Rez; 06 May 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07 May 2011, 11:28 AM
RE54
Scooby Regular

view this for my thread...

and this is the link, they take about 10 days, but are the only ones that fit well, and allow 6.5in speakers. if you see my install, you may need to cut the door a tiny bit, but thats only on huge speakers. (they do the adaptors for 5.25 rears too, highly recommend them)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Spe...item483a7bee6c

(note, almost all the uk adaptors available only allow 5.25 front speakers)

Last edited by RE54; 07 May 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07 May 2011, 04:42 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RE54
view this for my thread...

and this is the link, they take about 10 days, but are the only ones that fit well, and allow 6.5in speakers. if you see my install, you may need to cut the door a tiny bit, but thats only on huge speakers. (they do the adaptors for 5.25 rears too, highly recommend them)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Spe...item483a7bee6c

(note, almost all the uk adaptors available only allow 5.25 front speakers)
Excellent thanks... think I'll go for both of those adaptor.. did you have tinker with connectors?
Old 07 May 2011, 06:17 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those are the adaptors above which i have in mine mate,

perfect fit and allow the window to still go down fully,

i just crimped mine mate to make sure i had a secure connection,

get some dynamat etc for the door and will stop any silly rattles when more base is on
Old 08 May 2011, 02:12 AM
RE54
Scooby Regular

if you see in my thread, i just made some short lengths of cable, with spade connectors on either end, to use the existing plug, so i COULD swap them back when i sell the car.

or just cut them off and re crimp new ones if you want. (careful tho, you dont have much play on the cables)

and yes,sound proofing helps, but dont go nuts, the stuff weighs a ton, and you dont need to mass load unless your going for lots of bass, a few strips here and there on the worst areas will do (worst being the biggers flat areas ie door skin, and also around the speaker)
Old 08 May 2011, 06:17 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I've got a set of Autoleads spacer/adaptors kicking about somewhere as I went for something a bit more special!

Old 08 May 2011, 10:43 AM
RE54
Scooby Regular

seal the door up with something, if you want to get the max from them speakers
Old 08 May 2011, 02:48 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Door is Fully Dynamatted! The CTS speakers are the dogs, and the front mounted magnets make then very shallow! - £300 a set but well worth it!
Old 09 May 2011, 12:51 AM
RE54
Scooby Regular

i guessed you would have, seeing as thats some top end kit.

pics would be great, mine still needs to be done, but im in 2 minds about keeping the car
Old 09 May 2011, 06:01 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Didn't get any before the door cards were put back on, just a small piece on the outer skin behind the speaker and then the entire inner skin covered so there were no air gaps, used about a roll on each door!