ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

my install - work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2011, 08:10 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ICE in my BLOBEYE - pics and fitting tips

ok, so i started my audio upgrade today. i knew it wasnt going to be easy, as i wanted 6.5 comps up front, and it looks like a bit of hard work is needed.

so, what i have to install...

alpine bluetooth headunit with full ipod (single din)

6.5in hertz comps for front
4in kicker coax for rear doors
10in kicker L7 square sub (got it very cheap)
alpine 4 channel amp bridged for front speakers
alpine mono amp for sub

additional bits purchused for a smooth and decent install, im trying to avoid bodges that i have done in previous cars.

bulk pack of silent coat 2mm sound proofing
iso adaptor for headunit
single din pocket (genuine subaru) for headunit install
decent double sheilded speaker cable
4 gauge wiring kit
custom made RCA's
selection of other bits like cable ties, sheefing, crimps, headshrink etc

my first impressions is that my subaru is VERY EASY to work on. the door cards come off easily, and the car is very user friendly. quite simple to remove headunit, and most trims come off easy.

i started with the headunit (pics to come)

i love the fit, and the pocket fitted great. i have a full speed ipod alpine deck, so i drilled a hole in the back of the pocket, and run the cable through. nice and tidy, and fits good, just need to shorten the cable in the pocket.

then on with the rear speakers. now i bought 4in, but they appear to be a bit small for the hole. so rather than building spacers, or cutting into the door card, i did my first semi bodge, although the final result is really good imo.

the pics will make more sense, but basicly, i cut out the old crappy speaker, and mounted the new kickers into the pod, to make life easier installing. most speakers have a universal ring with loads of holes to allow easy fitting, but these only had 4 fixed points.

speaker

now with the speaker removed leaving the perfect spacer/collar/pod whatever you want to call it

now, it wasnt a perfect air tight seal, and seeing as im sound proofing the door, i thought this would be worth doing. using the 2mm soundproofing, i built up around the pod. its quite flexable, so when i screwed the speakers into place, it formed an airtight seal

and now the speaker installed

i added a short length of speaker cable with terminals, so i didnt have to cut the connectors off

its a start, but hopefully this will mean i can get it all finished this week. most of the pictures speak for themselfs here, just doing it to get this started.

update 01/02/11

made a start on removing the interior trim and panels, and decided to remove the seats, as its was just 4 bolts, and i knew it would make life easier working inside the car.

i was going to mount the 2 amps in the boot, but after measuring up, i can now mount both amps under each seat. now this works out good for me, as it keeps the whole boot useable, and its completely stealth install apart from the sub. anyway, i found a nice place to mount the distribution block, and it is also accessable via a plastic panel. plus there is perfect routes/clips etc to run the cable inside the car.

il let the pictures do the talking...

passanger side, where the main wires will be run when they enter the car

you can see just below the 4 wire looking things, theres hooks/clips that look like perfect size for some 4 gauge cable

amp tested in place, loads of space, and also clearance, each amp will face a difference way for easier access to the control panel, and wiring reasons.

where the dissy block is going. this is the back of the arm rest, and there is a removable panel, so il be swapping that one for a fused one at some point.

plenty of space to run the cables from there, to different sections of the car, keeping all the wiring stealthed and well out the way of moving parts

i made a start on the wiring, but could only do one half of most of the wires, as im not sure on exact lengths, plus it started raining again. so more coming next week.

06/02/11

good progress today, but not much to show.

all the wiring is done for the amps, so the seats can go back. i havent mounted them yet, as il need to mess about with the settings but its a nice fit.

the front doors on the other hand are causing me headache! the 12mm spacers are a bit small on the top, but im a good 10mm out at the bottom if i hope to clear the glass when its dropped fully. im now worried the speaker will hit the door card, so its going to be a bit of trial and error 2moro and see if the door cards go on without hiting the speaker.

anyway, just a few pics, shows where i ran the 4 gauge into the car, also the handy clips that are perfectly sized for 4 gauge on passanger side of car, along with some of the wiring routes for the under seat set up.

a nice big gromet ready to be used. this is located PASSANGER SIDE BULKHEAD,theres loads of space there for cable to go through, just be careful when making a hole.

nice clips for running 4 gauge down the side of the car

wires wires wires

bit more tidy and all routed now, so the power cables dont cross the speaker ones.

ok, after weeks of waiting for the speaker adaptors i ordered from ebay, they turnt up, and spend this morning making them fit, and test fitting the front speakers.

after a bit of trial and error, i knew i needed to cut the door a bit, to insure the speaker doesnt touch the metal (causing it to short out) (if you dont go for such big speakers, you should be fine, as most speakers under £140 wont be that big, and should fit without major work)

so, using a dremal and some pliars, i made some cuts, and folded the metal back on itself. the pods fitted ok, using the stock speakers, but my speakers were a tiny bit to big for the pods, so had to use some single sided sticky foam to insure a good fit. i also had to find a place to mount the crossover, best place is bottom right (drivers door) as theres space on the door card to allow fitment, i just need to cut some mdf and mount it to the door, so theres something to mount the cross over. the pics will do the talking.

the door

some cuts with a dremal

folded the metal back

the speaker pod needed something to fill the small holes to insure a air tight seal (i used some putty i had laying about)

pod offered up to the door, very good fit and uses existing holes and screws

speaker fitted, FINALLY! doesnt foul the window, and there 60mm deep

and to insure the speaker doesnt hit the door card, i removed the un necssary plastic...before

after (very easy to do, and worth doing to insure good quality, and that the speaker doesnt hit the card

and the reason for all this work!!!

stock speaker all corroded

almost double the size

small update.

after getting it all working, and running ok, i heard a funny sound coming from the front speakers when turned up loud. turns out that when the speakers are moving at high volumes, they hit the door card. so i removed the card, and fitted some screws on the outside ring of the speaker pod. i left them about 1.5cm unscrewed in, which insured the speaker doesnt foul the door card, and they sound much better now.

im tempted to lose the sub as its a headache with it moving around, and weighs a ton.

if anyone has any questions, or wants help, feel free to ask, if i can be bothered il re take all the pics and do a very detailed guide, hopefully make it sticky as lots of people want to know about blobeye and bugeye stereo's.

Last edited by RE54; 14 April 2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: updating my how to thread
Old 23 January 2011, 08:54 PM
Gaity
Scooby Regular

Good work mate

I've got a similar set up myself and I've just ordered an Infinity Basslink for the boot and a set of Alpine 6x9's with an Amp to go in the rear parcel shelf.

I'm not into earth shattering bass but I'm hoping this will compliment the components in the front and upgraded rear door speakers
Old 23 January 2011, 08:56 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gaity
Good work mate

I've got a similar set up myself and I've just ordered an Infinity Basslink for the boot and a set of Alpine 6x9's with an Amp to go in the rear parcel shelf.

I'm not into earth shattering bass but I'm hoping this will compliment the components in the front and upgraded rear door speakers

i had a set of 6x9s in my last car, in a proper stealth shelf, and run off an amp. and when set up properly, sounded great for mild bass, and still allowing a boot space.

might put a set of 6x9s in the parcel shelf if these rear speakers sound rubbish
Old 23 January 2011, 08:59 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Has to be said my blobeye is one of the easiest cars i've had to work on.
In the last week i've fitted a motorised 7'' TV/DVD unit and the Subaru pocket. Easy job done in under an hour. One thing i will be doing is fitting some non-slip matting into the pocket to stop the remotes for the head unit and Road Angel rattling around.
Last summer i fitted some Vibe components in the front.
I've got some speakers for the back doors but haven't got round to fitting them yet and the sub will be getting wired in in the next week or 2.
Old 24 January 2011, 07:53 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

RE54, quick question for ya having changed your headunit.
Hows the radio reception?
Since i fitted my new unit the reception is complete pish. even slaved in the original unit and all was well........
Might have to buy a new aerial at this rate!
Old 24 January 2011, 08:45 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Davey L
RE54, quick question for ya having changed your headunit.
Hows the radio reception?
Since i fitted my new unit the reception is complete pish. even slaved in the original unit and all was well........
Might have to buy a new aerial at this rate!
i tried to fit the aeriel, but it didnt seem to wana fit, was told it needs plenty of force.

reason for poor signal, so i have read, is because the subaru's aerial is mounted in the rear of the car, i belive the rear a pilar, and that it takes a power source from the original headunit. so you will need to find a way to run a wire or at least wire up the aerial. im sure theres a post on here somewhere, but i got so much to do, thats the least of my worries. will post up detailed guide if and when i get round to doing it.
Old 24 January 2011, 09:07 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Nice one. I know it's part of the rear window heater matrix and has amp's in the C pillars. I'll see if i can fing the tread for the aerial fix.

Edited to add...

I've found something about a blue wire that needs a power feed and that sorts the problem out. I'll try and find more out.

Last edited by Davey L; 24 January 2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 25 January 2011, 05:11 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Aeriel power supply sorted and i've put up a full guide with pics.
https://www.scoobynet.com/ice-2/8699...it-change.html

Nice and easy once you know what to connect.
Old 01 February 2011, 01:22 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

updated, not much, but worth a look if you want to see how easy it is to install 2 amps under the seats.
Old 01 February 2011, 03:27 PM
beany007
Scooby Newbie

Good install mate, i feel your pain with the effort though! nightmare to do a full install. I bought a double DIN DVD player for mine (DVD,CD,MP3,TV,AUX,Radio)
Also when i took the door cards off i found some standard 30w speakers! urghh they were soon replaced with 4 300w door speakers & Tweeter and a pair of 6X9 on the back shelf. They are powered by a 3000 watt Bose amp. i also put in X2 1000 Watt subs, ran off a 800W amp. what a nightmare to install lol.
Old 04 February 2011, 06:19 PM
P600wrx
Scooby Regular

good work m8, but block the vents up as there will be a small amout of heat coming through and as the amp will already be warm then u don't want it clipping if it gets too hot, also if you are keeping the car cut the carpet the size of the amp base as to aid the heatsinks for heat dispersion
Old 06 February 2011, 05:09 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P600wrx
good work m8, but block the vents up as there will be a small amout of heat coming through and as the amp will already be warm then u don't want it clipping if it gets too hot, also if you are keeping the car cut the carpet the size of the amp base as to aid the heatsinks for heat dispersion
will be useing a few old tea towels to block the air ducks out.

as for the carpet...i dont want to cut a huge sqaure out, as it would be noticedable if i sell the car, so my mate is making me a metal frame to mount the amp too, that will be lifted off the floor a few mm. will be using the 4 holes for the seat bolts to secure it. pictures will make more sense.
Old 18 February 2011, 12:18 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Do you have any pics / details of your front speaker install ??? I fancy fitting some Hertz DSK-165 front comps to my car but dont know which adaptors I need etc.
Old 18 February 2011, 12:44 AM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DT-SPD
Do you have any pics / details of your front speaker install ??? I fancy fitting some Hertz DSK-165 front comps to my car but dont know which adaptors I need etc.
hi, i have attempted install with mdf rings, but i feel its too much of a bodget, and the door card still doest fit properly.

i was told to use these, which will allow 65mm mounting depth, which is enough to fit almost ANY 6.5 speaker. (im ordering 2moro, as i couldnt find a UK supplier )

US seller
link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Spe...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 18 February 2011, 01:02 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RE54
hi, i have attempted install with mdf rings, but i feel its too much of a bodget, and the door card still doest fit properly.

i was told to use these, which will allow 65mm mounting depth, which is enough to fit almost ANY 6.5 speaker. (im ordering 2moro, as i couldnt find a UK supplier )

US seller
link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Spe...fAudioQ5fVideo
Thats great, thank you

I will order some too
Old 18 February 2011, 08:36 AM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job

Very similar to what I have done in my Legacy , I have my amps mounted under my seats also with my ipod in the center console
Whats your plan for the Kicker sub ?
Old 18 February 2011, 01:35 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NAF
Good job

Very similar to what I have done in my Legacy , I have my amps mounted under my seats also with my ipod in the center console
Whats your plan for the Kicker sub ?
The kicker is going in the boot, it's going to be trial and error with location. I have a feeling I may go for a twin 10inch set up in a custom blow throw box/set up. This uses the ski hatch and maximises sound in the car, rather than making the boot rattle. But my long hours and crappy weather has really delayed this project but I want to do this properly so il take the time, luckily it's my second car, hoping to have it all ready for the spring, stereo, spliter, rear diffuser, quieter exhaust, mud flaps and a few other bits
Old 18 February 2011, 02:03 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great job mate, and the speaker adaptors u are getting are the ones ive had in my hawkeye for the past yr from the same guy

fits no probs and doesnt stop the windows going fully down
Old 13 March 2011, 04:22 PM
RE54
Scooby Regular

updated today

finally got the pods, and managed to get most of the work done, until it started to rain again. still going to be a few weeks till its finished

but some useful pics i feel, enjoy
Old 28 March 2011, 10:50 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

ive just ordred them from usa, but couldnt see of miss it were it should tell you in £ sign .what do they cost in english pounds