Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

CD player jumping under accelleration - please help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2001, 03:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just put a Kenwood 10 CD unit in the Boot mounted to the back seat near the base (in the boot)
It jumps under accelleration which is not nice!
The old unit (phillips 6 cd) was under the passenger seat - no problems

Anyone else had the same probs, maybe a silly question - do i need to move it to the boot floor/other location

any help/advice gratefully recieved

Paul
Old 05 August 2001, 03:33 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul,

There are several reasons for this that I can think of:

1) The CD changer usually has an adjustment that you must set depending on whether it is vertically or horizontally mounted. This adjustment alters the shock mounts inside the changer so that they move in the correct axis. I am assuming that your changer is mounted almost vertical, so check to make sure the adjustment is set the same.

2) The changer is not mounted exactly on one axis or the other. For example, if your shock mounts are set for vertical motion, then your changer is not completely vertical. From the fact that you have mounted it on the back of the seat, I reckon this could be the case. In this scenario, the shock mounts do not work optimally and hence can absorb less of an impact before the changer jumps.

3) The back of the seat is not an ideal spot, as it is not as rigid as say the floor of the boot or under the seat. It will also have more sympathetic vibrations passing through it that are transmitted from the shell of the car. This could also be contributing to your problem.

If I were you, then I would fix the changer to the boot floor or under one of the seats. Under the parcel shelf can also work, as long as it is part of the shell of the car (which it is in the case of the Scooby saloon).

Hope this helps,

Andy.
Old 05 August 2001, 03:35 PM
Bagpuss
Scooby Regular

Hi Again,

Just thought of another possible cause. A friend of mine was having skipping problems, and when I went to look at the install, I found that he was simply using velcro to fasten the changer to the boot carpet.

You really do need to securely fasten the changer down using screws/bolts.

Andy.
Old 07 August 2001, 08:17 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

I fitted my Sony CD Changer to the boot floor. It never jumps, not even when on Mellow Yellows Lake District Tour - loads of jumps

I used to have a problem with my CD head unit which was apparently jumping - it turned out to be the lead in the back that was loose.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 07 August 2001, 11:42 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two easy solutions....

1) Dont acellerate hard...

2) Listen to the radio..

Sorry

David.