ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Best 6x9s?????????

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2007, 12:01 AM
2pac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 6x9s?????????

Hi all, very boring questions, but what are the very best 6x9 speakers about at the moment? and where is a good place to get them? am picking up knew car soon and want to get a better sound in there but dont sure i want to do all the sub/amp thing again.

What is best to look for in speakers? the car already has 6x9s so should it be a case of a straight swap?

any info or links to good websites would be much appreciated
Old 02 June 2007, 12:04 AM
2pac
Scooby Regular

and while im at it, what are the best speakers/tweeters to get in the front doors that would fit easily into a 95 wrx??

again, many thanks for any replies
Old 02 June 2007, 01:03 AM
ImNotAudiLover
BANNED

6x9's are **** due to where they are positioned.

Caraudiosecurity are top dogs when it comes to choice and prices!
Old 02 June 2007, 01:55 AM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

the best thing to look for in speakers is the frequency range if you aren't going for the amp and sub thing. The wider the range the more of the music you'll hear.
As for 6x9's again, the better the freq. range the better the speaker and go for at least a three way.

For the front door speakers - if you want to keep them standard(ish) then shop around to find some direct fit ones or if you are handy with the tools then why not create.

however you do it and whatever you buy, just remember, it's you who's listening to it so it'll be down to personal taste

Oh and if you can, try listening to different speakers before you buy them like at Halfords or a Motorist Centre where they have the displays

Best of luck

Dave
Old 02 June 2007, 01:56 AM
scooby51
Scooby Regular

p.s. also invest in decent speaker wires - you'll be surprised at the difference!!
Old 02 June 2007, 06:13 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pac
and while im at it, what are the best speakers/tweeters to get in the front doors that would fit easily into a 95 wrx??
Are the 6x9s also for the WRX? You would be better off just getting front speakers, and not bothering with the rears at all. Front speakers are the most important by far. Personally, I went for front speakers, and some 6x9 subs for the rear (as have a few others on scoobynet). The idea being, that the soundstage is in front of you (as it would be in a concert, or home hi fi) and the rear just adds a little bass (which is non directional). If you don't want to go for subs, just look at doing the fronts.
Old 02 June 2007, 06:26 PM
2pac
Scooby Regular

oh i see, i was going to buy 6x9 speakers for the rear, new door speakers AND get a sub and amp in the boot. so i should just go with new fronts then, any idea as to what size a 95 wrx has in the front?? and what sort of dollar i should look to spend?
Old 02 June 2007, 07:09 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

oh i see, i was going to buy 6x9 speakers for the rear, new door speakers AND get a sub and amp in the boot. so i should just go with new fronts then, any idea as to what size a 95 wrx has in the front?? and what sort of dollar i should look to spend?
Hold on, hold on The front speakers are the most important. I'm not saying you shouldn't get others, just that if you only had 2 speakers, they would be the ones to get - because you said:
want to get a better sound in there but dont sure i want to do all the sub/amp thing again.
If you don't want to get an amp or a sub, get a decent head unit, and some nice front speakers to go with them. You can get decent sound without an amp, but obviously an amp can help.

6x9s in the rear:
Not everyone will agree here. It also depends if the music is mostly for you, or also a fair bit for rear seat passengers. If you get decent front speakers, and go for full range 6x9s in the rear, they probably won't complement each other, and the rear speakers could muddy the soundstage. But if you want to play music for people in the back, they may prefer some full range speakers in the back than bass (ie, 6x9 subs).

Your question about sound deadoning will depend on what speaker combination you go for.

Speaker size in the front - I have an MY00, which takes 16.5cm fronts (using plastic vauxhall corsa adapters). My version also takes separate tweeters (you can see the speaker front by the door handle), so I have components. I'm not sure what you can do with components in a 95 wrx - have a search.

dollar - what head unit do you have? Do you want to play CDs, or your whole music collection off an iPod?
Old 04 June 2007, 07:55 AM
Crusty
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Agree with Triggaaar, focus your time and money on getting the best front speakers that you can, If possible get Component style with seperate mids and tweeters which can be mounted on the plastic triangle on the inside of your side mirrors on the early cars.
Funnily enough a small subwoofer can be cheaper than a set of 6x9's (which won't fit without cutting or ugly spacers in a sedan), an amplifier will be required at this stage and I'd suggest getting a four channel model that will drive the front speakers at the same time as the woofer.
Rear speakers (16cm) can then be fitted to the factory sized holes in the rear tray and run off the head-unit for rear-fill in sound.
If you have any spare cash after this lot add some sound deadening sheet
into the front doors as well to maximise the mid-bass and reduce losses from road noise etc...
Old 04 June 2007, 09:07 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

Also consider an under-seat sub like this Car Audio Direct - The UK's leading car audio and stereo resource. Pioneer TS-WX11A - Pioneer PIO-TSWX11A