ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

DIY fibreglass install - my effort

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2005, 12:16 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY fibreglass install - my effort

In every car that I have owned I have built myself a boot install ranging from a pair of 6x9's on the rear shelf to a full on MDF fest with carpet, neons, perspex doors, brand emblom (sorry cannot spell it) embossing and carpet cutout etc etc.

Pics from my R5 turbo and old scooby install -

R5 turbo install

number 2

number 3

Scoobs old install

Until recently I have kept the scoob fairly small in comparison. The car came with a set of Kenwood KFC1666's in the front doors that do the job nicely. I got a very nice almost top of the range Kenwood head unit for xmas a few years back so that got intalled when I got the car. The rears where standard but I had a set of 6x9's in the parcel shelf of the previous scoob and in my opinion they were just OTT and not really needed for a neat install.

Other bits that I had left over from the previous scoob where a 400W Kenwood 10" sub, a Caliber line driver, gold plated distribution block and an Alpine Flex 5 amp. I had already made an 18mm MDF box for the Kenwood sub so that went in the boot with the amp mounted on the back and the line driver behind the headunit.

The box never really wanted to stay in place and began to pi$$ me off so I sold that off and went for a 2000W Pioneer 12" sub and bought the box with it to save me the hassle. To fix it in I put a sheet of good old MDF across the spare wheel well, made sure that was securely fastened in and then screwed the sub box into that. oh yea and another addition was a set of two way Ifinity speakers on the rear shelf to replace the standard items.

With this lot running off the Flex 5 it sounded rather nice and I was happy with this setup for a while but to be honest it was nothing special to look at. I didnt want to go down the route of having to hack up loads of MDF and end up with an install weighing a ton so it got left like that for a while.

Just browsing the net for car installs, I came across a website made by a bloke called Chris, he has built a fibreglass install for his car which saved him a lot of space by moulding the glassfibe to the contours of the car. Hmmm interesing I thought. I then came across a website that had done similar work to a scoob, see here: http://www.dndservices.co.uk/htmls/f...ject_mar_c.htm This I think is what made me decide to give it a go on my car!

I started by buying a kit from Halfrauds to experiment and gain a bit of experince. In the photos below you can tell how far the kit went (its the pink colured layer). So with my new gained knowledge of glass fibre and idea poping into my head daily about how it would look I took the plunge and ordered £50+ worth of materials.

Little did I know how much work I had let myself in for! I finished off the left hand side of the boot where the amp would sit then started on the sub box that would be moulded into the spare wheel well, mostly to try and save space. Several layers later I reailsed I was running out of materials so placed another order from CFS supplies. This time £70+! I guessed that with the amount I had used so far I would be needing a LOT more so got a load of the stuff in.

As the project was progressing I had no plans drawn out on paper at all and decided that I would just let the project work itelf out, one idea that popped into my head was to add more speakers. I didnt want to put them anywhere inside the boot space or it would start to take up too much room, so to overcome this problem I decieded to put them on the boot lid! (Mr.Burns voice) Exxxxccccellent! (Mr.Burns voice off). I had a quick search on Ebay and found some nice 5 1/2" three way Kenwood that looked sweet so bought those, shorlty after I found that I had a set of 5 1/2" JBL's from a previous install and not wanting them to go to waste I thoguht I would put them in the boot lid as well!

I also got a 3 farad stiffening capacitor from Ebay to add to the system as The whack of the 2000W sub would dim the lights considerably and it also looked cool with blue LEDS that light up when it is on, this would be mounted next to the amp.

Getting the main stucture using the glassfibre wasnt that bad really, very smelly when working on it but a face mask sorted that. My main moan was the body filler that goes over the top of the structures cause it take FU**ING ages to sand down to how I wanted it to look, it also cause a white xmas on my parents patio due to the dust given off hahahhaha doh!

Anyway, after two weeks off for Xmas most of which were spent glassfibreing in the garage, the photos below are how far I have got. More to be added when I get more time to work on it!

You can see all of the pics of the install progress here: http://groups.msn.com/Mycarphotos/shoebox.msnw

There are three pages of pics I think, feel free to subscribe to the group to see more pics as I add them

First pic

second pic

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

pic 6

pic 7

pic 8

pic 9

pic 10

pic 11

pic 12

pic 13

pic 14

pic 15

If anybody know how to get the pics to appear on here then feel free to do so cause I cannot get it to work

Last edited by Nezz10; 11 January 2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12 January 2005, 08:14 PM
PTOMO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work fella just trying to sort mine out at the min. trying to fit 2 12;s, amp, power cap and spare wheel in is hard work keep up the good work tho
Old 12 January 2005, 10:57 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nezz10
If anybody know how to get the pics to appear on here then feel free to do so cause I cannot get it to work
Hi Nezza,

You won't be able to get the pics to appear as embedded images because MSN generates a random URL which more often than not contains the * character which messes things up. Use http://tinypic.com/ and you'll be done in seconds.
Old 13 January 2005, 08:54 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

looking good. whens it gonna be finished?
Old 14 January 2005, 01:12 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PTOMO
nice work fella just trying to sort mine out at the min. trying to fit 2 12;s, amp, power cap and spare wheel in is hard work keep up the good work tho
Dude,just replace the spare wheel, tool kit and jack with some tyre weld from halfords
Old 15 January 2005, 07:06 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Nice install mate, very sorry to hijack the thread a little but couldn't help but noticed you've got your rear indicators tinted... just wondering if you did that yourself as im after a similar look, any tips would be great!

James
Old 15 January 2005, 09:13 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Ray Li - I had a good two weeks to work on it over xmas and that was as far as i got, I didnt expect it to take so long. I was meant to do some more today but didnt get round to it. I reackon it will be finished at the end of march (if my 2nd amp finally turns up!)

Daft Lad - I did them myself with light cluster tint spray from Halfords. Either take out the lights and make the reverse area or just use lots of newspaper and masking tape to do them on the car.

I did about 5 coats and it was TOO dark, I have to mask up another line down the centre of the indicators and go over this with paint stripper to make them more visable. My advise would to be to try a couple of coats then see what they look like when flashing.
Old 18 January 2005, 01:20 AM
graham72
Scooby Regular

was thinking of doing this myself in the future but when i looked at dndservices site it says they built the fibreglass up to a 5cm thickness!!! surely they mean 5 mm? it is after all a very strong material and surely that is massive overkill?
Old 18 January 2005, 07:58 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

5cm!! nope 5mm is about right, I did this for the bottom of the sub box but the top layer is only about 3mm thick cause it has the filler pasted over it too which helps.
Old 18 January 2005, 03:17 PM
graham72
Scooby Regular

thought it must be a typo! would take a month and shares in a fibreglass firm to do that thickness! lol