ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Hardwiring a handsfree kit via OEM radio – “wrong adapters” etc

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2005, 12:33 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Hardwiring a handsfree kit via OEM radio – “wrong adapters” etc

Car is a new RAV4, with typical OEM double-DIN Jap stereo (CD-radio), probably v. similar to MY02 WRX. Toyota offer various options like phone kits, sat nav etc but at horrendous prices. I’m not interested in bluetooth. So I booked an appointment with the Portuguese car chain (not sure the UK equivalent, I think better than Halfrauds…) to install a handsfree kit for my phone. You know the type – little mike pokes out of the A-pillar, all plugs in the back of the stereo, voice comes via the stereo speakers. Price would be 60 quid plus 30 for fitting.

They’ve just been on the phone to me to say they can’t fit it as they don’t have the connectors for that radio “and it also has navigation etc”, so it would be better if I go to Toyota.

From what I’ve seen on the Toyota price list, they’ll charge me at least double for the same kit, if not triple, so I’d really like to avoid that.

Anyone tell me if it’s really that complicated, that manufacturers all use different connectors and an aftermarket kit won’t work? Or should I just try someone more competent? (Not sure who…)

Many thanks

Brendan
Old 18 January 2005, 09:17 PM
RobP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brendan

Most (if not all) telemute leads are from Autoleads. Have just checked the database and the Rav 4 uses the same telemute lead as all the other Toyota models part no 06-062B. However they do state that this only applies to non navigation models.
You could try e mailing them at
technical@autoleads.co.uk
to see if they now list a lead to suit.

Happy hunting RobP