ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Speaker ugrade in MY95uk, need sizes and recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2004, 04:23 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker ugrade in MY95uk, need sizes and recommendations

I'm thinking about upgrading my speakers in my95uk impreza saloon.

Could anyone tell me what sizes to get and a rough idea of an install that gives good sound quality for all types of music, not really spending silly money.

Cheers all, brent

P.s got a pioneer headunit 4x50w
Old 09 December 2004, 11:21 AM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

no-one help?
Old 13 December 2004, 02:06 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

Oh come on lads. Can no-one really help me with this?

Not even to tell me what size speakers i can fit in?
Old 13 December 2004, 08:55 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

I have got an MY95 WRX and if the speakers are the same size as the UK spec then I think the fronts are 16.5cm and the rear self are about 14.5.

I have got VDO Drayton 2 ways up front and some cheapy Pioneer's at the back for a little rear fill.

If you can afford it I would go for a set of Infinity componants up front as they give great sound quality.

Hope this helps mate.

Martin
Old 13 December 2004, 10:22 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Taffy, you'll get 6 or 6.5s in the front with an mdf baffle. Spend money on the front (as Martin says) and don't worry too much about the rears.
Old 14 December 2004, 03:01 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

Cheers lads.

I think i'll go for some infinity speakers in the front, but what do you mean by MDF baffle? I heard you can use a speaker adaptor kit for a corsa from halfords in the front?

How come not give just as much attention to the rear speakers ? Isnt that where the base comes from?

+ could i get 6x9's in the back?
Old 14 December 2004, 03:19 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

You can use a corsa adaptor in the front, yes, but they're made of plastic and tend to rattle. A lump of MDF and fifteen minutes with a jigsaw (if you have one) is cheaper and time well spent.

Bass should appear to come from up front, so you want to get as much punch up front as possible. Anything below about 100Hz is considered non-directional so can come from anywhere in the car. If you want real bass, you're best off fitting a sub.

I personally don't like full range speakers in the back if they're being given anything more than a tickling of power as it drags a soundstage back or can completely knacker any semblance of soundstage you get in your car.

The genesis 6x9s which I've been harping on about for a while now are excellent in the back, however you're best off fitting them underneath the shelf as they don't quite fit into the holes without metal cutting, or some baffles on top to raise them up... Fitting below is good and steathly, though the shapes at the bottom make it "interesting".

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 14 December 2004, 04:47 PM
TaffyB
Scooby Regular

So what kinda speakers are good to go for? (not silly money)

Dont particularly wana go cutting up things, but dont mind a bit of tempory DIY that can be reversed.

Will this setup of original size speakers, give me a good sound quality over all types of music, at decent not silly volume?

(cheers for the help much appreciated)
Old 16 December 2004, 10:51 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

Infinity 6500cs £75-£100+ depending on where you buy them will go straight in a MY98 using the Corsa pods,I dont know if a 95 is the same size.I had to redrill the pods to make them fit properly(using the original pod as a template) and break off the little plastic lug at the bottom,I agree with Chiark,they do sound a bit rattly and I will probably end up using them as a template to make MDF spacers.If you do use the Corsa ones the pack says they only fit 135mm speakers but my 6.5 inch infinity's went straight in.One last thing,please use some Dynamat ,Halfords sell a door kit for about £15 and this really improves the sound quality and reduces vibrations.
I am not very good at this kind of thing but I think it would help loads of people on here if somebody could post a printable template for some MDF spacers.