Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

speakers and how to make my99 quieter

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2003, 10:13 PM
Cord
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all is it possible to make my car a bit quieter (on the inside, I like the sound of my HKS pipe!!) I have heard people talk of dynamat and other sound deadeding materials. If I pull all my door cards etc.. out and cover the inside of my door skins with dynamat will it make any difference? And also what speakers would people reccommend to go in a my99, I would like speakers that drop straight into the existing holes without having to do any mods. These are probably frequently asked questions, but i usually spend most of my money on going faster!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cord
Old 26 February 2003, 10:32 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

IMO...
A good sound deadening kit is the 'NoiseKiller' as advertised in the ScoobyShop. It has the vibration deadening material in it (like Dynamat, etc.) but also has the 'sound absorbing' stuff - a sort of coated thick sponge, cut to the right shape, that fits under carpets, etc. & absorbs the sound already created rather than attempting to damp it at source (great if it worked 100%, but a lot of noise still seeps through, especially the higher stuff that the tar-like coatings 'allow').

The best drop-in speakers, as far as I am concerned, ar JL Audio 6" units (front & back), but that's just my taste - they're not as hard/forceful as most car speakers. But that's just me, and this stuff is all rather 'personal tastes' stuff
Old 27 February 2003, 01:28 AM
rockinRu
Scooby Regular

If you REALLY want to sound deaden your car against road noise and fart-can exhaust,you'll need to strip the interior out right down to the metal floors and go heavy on the deadener,especially around the rear strut towers in the trunk(boot).
As for the best stuff for the job...that's up for debate.I've used regular roofing tar covered in plastic before with excellent results.It's messy,stinking stuff,but easy to apply,thick as you want and the plastic seals it from smelling up the car.
Very heavy stuff too.It's the next best thing to 4 inches of concrete in an spl vehicle.
Old 27 February 2003, 08:54 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

As already said, to deaden properly then weight will become an issue.

I've always deadened vehicles a tad, and the impreza benefits a lot as it doesn't have a huge amount in it. I remember driving off when I first picked the car up and thinking something was wrong when I drove along a gravelly road - sounded like someone was taking potshots at bare metal

The noisekiller barrier mat is, as mentioned above, excellent VFM. I've tried dynamat, dynamat super, scosche accumat and reckon that barrier mat is good on performance and great on Value for money...

A layer of carpet underlay in the boot on top of the metal/underneat the carpet did a good job of cutting some of the noise of the backbox for me.
Old 27 February 2003, 06:12 PM
MRK_IV
Scooby Regular

I've just picked up a product you might be imterested in:
Ruberoid Plasprufe 2000SA (I think!). It's very similar to Brown Bread/Dynamat etc. - ie a self adhesive bitumen based waterproof membrane (actually used for lagging in teh building trade).

As far as noise-dampening goes it's as good as the branded products. The only downsides are that it needs a heat-gun to properly apply and IMO isn't as flexible, so for floorpans and boots, it's ideal.
The other down side is the weight - it's very heavy. But then it would be - it's 1 metre wide and 15 metres (!) long. Which leads nicely to the price:
£90 all in. Which is easily enough to do 3 cars - which is exactly what I need to do! It works out at about the quarter of the price of Dynamat, and despite it's very few shortcomings, I'm very impressed. I got it from Travis Perkins.
Old 27 February 2003, 07:36 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

How's the adhesive when things start getting hot in the sun? I did it cheaply in an old fiesta and found I had little collections of stuff slid to the bottom of panels when I'd finished...

What's the adhesive like?

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 28 February 2003, 02:31 AM
rockinRu
Scooby Regular

A Fiesta Nick...?
Old 28 February 2003, 09:51 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the car, not the magazine . I was young... I ended up with no boot whatsoever (2x12 inch infinity 120BRs), speakers next to the rear seat (8" philips jobbies), and 6" in the doors... Loudest car I've personally ever made

Even had a kenwood sticker in the back window.