Exhaust manifold advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2013, 05:51 PM
James N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust manifold advice please?

Hi guys,
I've had a search on here but can't find a recent thread about this.
I'm after a new exhaust manifold for my 200 turbo before its mapped, ive seen some, Japspeed for example, that seems to be very well priced but heard mixed reviews..
what comes recommended? Top price is in the region of 500, but of course cheaper is always nice if a decent one can be found for less!
Cheers,
James
Old 22 May 2013, 05:54 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

RCM. CP Autos were doing a group buy on them.

I think they are the same as the GT series, hopefully someone will confirm or deny.

The major problem with exhaust manifolds are... The cheap ones are rubbish, they don't fit and you'll end up getting charged fortunes for labour. I have heard that even HKS ones have cracked and were a complete nightmare to fit.

Make sure you do your research on this as you will be scolded if you buy the wrong ones.
Old 22 May 2013, 06:10 PM
James N
Scooby Regular

I plan on doing my research! I'll be fitting it myself, but its a fair bit of money to waste if I buy a poor one! I was thinking RCM or the afterburner one. RCM one isn't cheap but looks a very nice bit of kit
Old 22 May 2013, 06:13 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James N
Hi guys,
I've had a search on here but can't find a recent thread about this.
I'm after a new exhaust manifold for my 200 turbo before its mapped, ive seen some, Japspeed for example, that seems to be very well priced but heard mixed reviews..
what comes recommended? Top price is in the region of 500, but of course cheaper is always nice if a decent one can be found for less!
Cheers,
James
Hi James

Personal advise depending how far you are away from Macclesfield cheshire, I would go to JP Exhausts who make custom stainless systems and they are the best I have ever seen and will advise on the perfect system also what DB your looking for also sound. My friend was running in the time attacks with a 650 BHP supra and he had a custom one off (first they had done) manifold also turbo back system and it was amazing!!!! honestly google JP exhausts Macclesfield and you can have a look on the pic's very highly recommended by whiff bitz

Cheers

Stu

Last edited by Stuswrx; 22 May 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 22 May 2013, 06:23 PM
James N
Scooby Regular

Im a long way from there! might be worth me giving them a call though, as something may be possible depending on how long it will take.
Thanks for the advice
Old 22 May 2013, 06:26 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

what sort of power are you aiming for. ported o/e ones with a decent up pipe work well.
Old 22 May 2013, 06:28 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Im a long way from there! might be worth me giving them a call though, as something may be possible depending on how long it will take.
Thanks for the advice
honestly mate well worth I promise even for a drive to get mapped on the same week, could be a weeks holiday random drivin exhaust and map =
Old 22 May 2013, 06:37 PM
James N
Scooby Regular

I'm not after big power, for now 350bhp ish. But hoping to build a 2.1 or 2.3 over the next few months so thought I'd look at a decent manifold now to save me just having to get one later anyway!
Custom built is going to be big money I'd guess? Probably way more than the RCM item?
Old 22 May 2013, 06:41 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

I'm not after big power, for now 350bhp ish. But hoping to build a 2.1 or 2.3 over the next few months so thought I'd look at a decent manifold now to save me just having to get one later anyway!
Custom built is going to be big money I'd guess? Probably way more than the RCM item?
got a quote for my BMW 325ci Vert and it was £220-250 for cat back fitted you can always try asking for a better price as if your spend £500 notes then they should sort you out, go for 3" decat turbo back system as not cat not to expensive but well worth it mate
Old 22 May 2013, 06:53 PM
williams.84
Scooby Regular

I've got the RCM Manifold with the Venturi uppipe and its helped with the spool up on the turbo but I think that's more to do with the uppipe.also the scooby is better mid range :-)
Old 22 May 2013, 07:32 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stuswrx
got a quote for my BMW 325ci Vert and it was £220-250 for cat back fitted you can always try asking for a better price as if your spend £500 notes then they should sort you out, go for 3" decat turbo back system as not cat not to expensive but well worth it mate
this guy's looking for a set of headers. not a cat back system or de cat system for that matter. 3" is way way to big for headers

to add. i use lateral performace headers with great results. dont buy an up pipe with a flexi joint would be my advise

Last edited by Turbotits; 22 May 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 22 May 2013, 08:02 PM
07STIhawkeyeAffy
Scooby Regular

For 350bhp is there really any point i was thinking to change mine to rcm n venturi pipe but was put off with many people advising not to unless 400 n over?
Old 22 May 2013, 08:27 PM
James N
Scooby Regular

Probably not really much point in terms of power at only 350bhp but hopefully it'll soon be getting a 2.1 or something similar so I thought id do it now as I have to get a manifold anyway
Some interesting options here, although I'd expected the RCM ones to get recommended! Looks like a good quality bit of kit.
Old 22 May 2013, 09:09 PM
07STIhawkeyeAffy
Scooby Regular

Yea. Stick to rcm you carnt go wrong really
Old 23 May 2013, 09:07 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

depends on your power level once modded but even over 400bhp the std headers perform very well if ported/matched and the correct up-pipe fitted............

the GT style headers tend to lose response (like for like) although our "harvey" trick up-pipe also helps these type - std up-pipe is far too large even for medium power cars IMO