Advice On Magnetic Sump Bung Swarf

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2013, 11:24 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice On Magnetic Sump Bung Swarf

Hi All,
Did an oil & filter change on the Scooby yesterday & there seemed to be a lot of material on the magnetic sump bung. The car has been stood all winter & it's a bit of a worry to see this. There were no big bits & between my fingers it just went into a fine paste, but is this normal. I change the oil evry 3K & normally only see minimal particles on the bung.
Thanks, Richard.
Old 30 March 2013, 01:15 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That dont look right for a normal/regular oil change.
If you have any of the old oil you drained out, send it off and have it analysed - the results will tell you what the contaminents are.

Mick
Old 30 March 2013, 02:10 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
That dont look right for a normal/regular oil change.
If you have any of the old oil you drained out, send it off and have it analysed - the results will tell you what the contaminents are.

Mick
The oil was trained in to an oil drained with other oils so I don't have it. I don't think it's right either but it can't be shells as they aren't magnetic. Possible cam material, like I said it felt like a fine poste but quite worried now.
Old 30 March 2013, 03:31 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

I have just done my service and I didn't get anything this. Hope it's nothing too bad, least it shows they are worth having.
Old 30 March 2013, 06:26 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the engine been rebuilt recently Richard ?
If so, you would expect to get very very small particles from the rings bedding into the bores but I wouldnt expect that amount of swarf from a normal routine oil change.
Unusual to have the hardening on the cams/valvetrain wear and without an increase in top end noise.
Try cutting the old oil filter open to see whats trapped in there.

Mick
Old 30 March 2013, 09:57 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
Has the engine been rebuilt recently Richard ?
If so, you would expect to get very very small particles from the rings bedding into the bores but I wouldnt expect that amount of swarf from a normal routine oil change.
Unusual to have the hardening on the cams/valvetrain wear and without an increase in top end noise.
Try cutting the old oil filter open to see whats trapped in there.

Mick
Thanks Merlin,
Not a full rebuild but HG replacement with shells & hone last year & as I hardly use the car , this is the first oil change since. Could this be the cause of the material on the bung?
Regards, Richard.
Old 31 March 2013, 02:19 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
Thanks Merlin,
Not a full rebuild but HG replacement with shells & hone last year & as I hardly use the car , this is the first oil change since. Could this be the cause of the material on the bung?
Regards, Richard.
To hone the bores, it would need to be a complete stripdown. The fine swarf you describe sounds like it's from the honing process! the block should have gone through an industrial wash process after that.

JohnD
Old 31 March 2013, 03:45 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
To hone the bores, it would need to be a complete stripdown. The fine swarf you describe sounds like it's from the honing process! the block should have gone through an industrial wash process after that.

JohnD
OK, so will further oil changes get rid of this & is it acceptable, or do I have a problem?
Thanks
Old 01 April 2013, 11:43 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Hopefully, It'll clear but it really shouldn't have been there in the first place. As suggested, if you've still got the filter (unlikely?) cut open the side to reveal the 'in' side of the filter media and see how much crap has been caught. The filter should protect the bearings from the stuff although it has still gone through the pump on it's way to the filter.
Personally, I would add a can of Wynns, Comma etc flush to the existing oil, run the engine for 20 min or drive gently for a few miles, drain the sump and re-new filter. Fill with a cheapish oil and run with this gently for a few days (to flush any remaining old oil with the Wynns stuff in) then change oil and filter again for some good stuff. Sounds a bit of a pain (on the wallet as well!) but that should clean the internals. Don't be tempted to use a sump full of 'flushing oil' The wynns thing is a better alternative.
I've used the above procedure with no problem. (I'm expecting some will shout 'NO' to the use of it!)
There was a thread on here not so long ago discussing the virtues of magnetic sump plugs and some were quite adamant that they were a waste of time and generally berated those who fitted them. In your case the thing has stopped some undesirable s**t from going where it shouldn't, so it's been a good thing! On the other hand, like too many gauges and knock sensors etc., it can make you paranoid!

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 01 April 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01 April 2013, 01:06 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Hopefully, It'll clear but it really shouldn't have been there in the first place. As suggested, if you've still got the filter (unlikely?) cut open the side to reveal the 'in' side of the filter media and see how much crap has been caught. The filter should protect the bearings from the stuff although it has still gone through the pump on it's way to the filter.
Personally, I would add a can of Wynns, Comma etc flush to the existing oil, run the engine for 20 min or drive gently for a few miles, drain the sump and re-new filter. Fill with a cheapish oil and run with this gently for a few days (to flush any remaining old oil with the Wynns stuff in) then change oil and filter again for some good stuff. Sounds a bit of a pain (on the wallet as well!) but that should clean the internals. Don't be tempted to use a sump full of 'flushing oil' The wynns thing is a better alternative.
I've used the above procedure with no problem. (I'm expecting some will shout 'NO' to the use of it!)
There was a thread on here not so long ago discussing the virtues of magnetic sump plugs and some were quite adamant that they were a waste of time and generally berated those who fitted them. In your case the thing has stopped some undesirable s**t from going where it shouldn't, so it's been a good thing! On the other hand, like too many gauges and knock sensors etc., it can make you paranoid!

JohnD
Thanks John,
I'll do as suggested to flush any remaining contaminants out. I'll cut open the filter too, but I don't think it was too clogged as my oil pressure has always been good showing 2bar when fully warm on tickover & as much as 6bar when cold.
Old 01 April 2013, 03:18 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

I asked about magnetic sump plugs some months ago & some ppl went off on one, guess what? Just ordered one now!!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Richard, I hope you get this issue sorted with no lasting damage mate.
Old 01 April 2013, 06:18 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Harrington
I asked about magnetic sump plugs some months ago & some ppl went off on one, guess what? Just ordered one now!!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Richard, I hope you get this issue sorted with no lasting damage mate.
The thing is the oil that came out looked normal so without the magnetic bung I'd be none the wiser. Oil pressure is normal & no unusual engine noise. I don't want this crap going round my engine so I'll be using cheap oil & filters running it for a couple of miles then changing it again until it's totally clean, I'll then switch back to Fuchs & gen filters.