Notices

newbie to turbo modding

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2012, 02:29 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie to turbo modding

Im not a complete n00b, I have chipped a couple of diesles in the past a Leon 1.9 and a Saab ttid (was 220bhp) but disel tuning is pretty straightforward. Years ago, i tuned a Nissan Silvia (s12), turned up the turbo etc and that was fun.

Now that I have a 2002 WRX and Im nto sure where to start.

I have spent some time reading the forum and learning. This here https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=34 is a good post and the guy obviously knows his stuff.

Im looking to make the car more drivable, so a qquicker repsonce to the throttle an quicker acceleration in second and third is a priority. Im not bothered about 300bhp or loud noises etc. Im also worried about mot time with no cats.

Are the following mods a good start and then get it remapped?
  • 3 port boost solenoid
  • decat (sti) up pipe
  • (perrin) turbo inlet hose

Should a decat downpipe and larger backbox come later?
Old 28 November 2012, 03:00 PM
billy21
Scooby Regular

They are good places to start. The Perrin inlet is quite expensive mind and you can get the same products for a lot less. Leaving cash for other mods too possibly a decat after turbo too
Old 28 November 2012, 03:34 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

@billy21 I have seen the same type of inlet hoses on ebay for under £50 and I have seen some stainless steel up pipes with gaskets for a similar price.

I could probably fit the inlet myself and maybe £50 to fit the up pipe.

Would this give me a noticeable difference in midrange power and is it better than going down the dump valve and big bore back box route?
Old 28 November 2012, 03:41 PM
adz556
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't get the one from ebay mate......it needs to be wire re-enforced or it'll collapse under load. I bought mine from SFS at a good price, be worth contacting them directly.
Old 28 November 2012, 03:49 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Worth making sure you get a decent slip jonted upipe, less tendancy to crack/split.
Old 28 November 2012, 03:51 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Is SFS for the up pipe or the inlet or both?
Old 28 November 2012, 11:42 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Worth adding a panel filter while your at it, cheap and simple to do. Whatever upipe you get some heat wrap would be a good idea. Not sure when std wrx backbox becomes a problem as mine already had the drainpipe fitted when I bought it.
Old 29 November 2012, 08:48 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Try to find a Harvey smith uppipe, they are known to do the business, and as mentioned above stay well away from the cheap tat on eBay, will probably end up costing you more in the long run due to the cheap parts used, as mentioned above give sfs a shout, they are also on the forum

Easiest way to achieve circa 330+ bhp on wrx the cost effective route would be :-

Panel filter
3port boost solenoid
Sti up pipe with full decat / sports cat
Vf34/35 turbo swap (standard newage Sti turbos)
Remap open source or ecutek, the first being near enough half the price unless ecu already has a ecutek licence

Limiting factor would probably be the top mount and injectors but should be fine for up to and around that level on a newage wrx and should see you change from 1k, from there on in prepare to have your wallet raped as it an get expensive
Old 29 November 2012, 12:06 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice, really appreciated.

I have this and thiss on my ebay watch list, I take it you get what you pay for? What does sfs stand for? Does anyone have a link please?

I think that the wrx has three cats and the sti only two, so losing one would be safe for emissions at mot time but combined with a new inlet would allow the turbo to sing.

If I keep my turbo for now, would I be looking at circa 280bhp but a much more lively drive?
Old 29 November 2012, 04:14 PM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

You can change the uppipe and loose the pre cat and still pass MOT emmisions no problem. If your looking for 280 from the td04 fitted you may need to fit a decat downpipe or a sportscat and a better exhaust all round. Maybe if being quite and std looking think about a prodrive exhaust instead of the std wrx one.

The uppipe you are looking at isn't a flexi joint one so thats good but check its slip jointed if I were you.

Don't bother with that inlet cheap ones can cause more problems than they solve and aren't needed at your level. I'm runing 315bhp on the std one no problems.