Notices

Is it hard to fit an actuator ?

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2012, 07:32 PM
Nickodm85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it hard to fit an actuator ?

Got a vf22 an my boost is running low at 0.6 bar. I had this problem about 4 months back also. Then the car just seemed to get back to normal boost of 1 bar. Now the problems come back. So my question is. Is it beneficial to buy a new standard actuator an fit that? Is it a bugger to fit?
Old 10 March 2012, 08:02 PM
chasey
Scooby Regular

looks like its running in limp home mode
Old 10 March 2012, 08:06 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

I dont think the actuator is at fault. If the diaphram fails you will get overboost not under boost. Check all vacuum pipes etc first. You can check the actuator lever pivot isnt rusted up by pushing the actuator rod with a screwdriver and seeing it move forward and spring back shut.
Old 10 March 2012, 08:14 PM
warren m
Scooby Regular

ive got same problem mate did it few months back,sti ppp supposed to be at 1.2 bar and today noticed it wont go above 0.6 bar,gunna try and clean the solenoid and maf sensor tomorrow.
Old 10 March 2012, 08:15 PM
Nickodm85
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies.
I have spent all afternoon checking vac pipes an they seem to be fine. I have cleaned the boost solenoid out with brake cleaner as well as the vac pipes. Just don't know what's wrong. No smOke or funny noises, so I just don't know what to try next.
Any more suggestions?
Old 10 March 2012, 08:22 PM
madmarx
Scooby Regular

Have you got another solenoid to try ? Is there a restrictor pill in the boost hose coming from the turbo ? You can discount the actuator easily by pulling the hose off the actuator and going for a spin in the car. It should boost over 0.6 bar. Dont thrash the car, dont floor it etc, just enough pedal to make it deliver boost.
Old 10 March 2012, 08:30 PM
wrxcook
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem a year or so ago it was the petrol I was using BP super it takes a few tanks of vpower then the car was back to normal and has been fine ever since I done all of the above points eg changing the solenoid and had it in garages to get checked out but know fault codes would come up
Old 10 March 2012, 08:47 PM
Nickodm85
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxcook
I had the same problem a year or so ago it was the petrol I was using BP super it takes a few tanks of vpower then the car was back to normal and has been fine ever since I done all of the above points eg changing the solenoid and had it in garages to get checked out but know fault codes would come up
I did put 20 quids worth of bp ultimate in on the night it happened. I will let the fuel go down to basically nothing an put some v power back in. I was using sainsburys super for months and it was fine. I only bother with shell an sainsburys fuel. So maybe that might be it.
Old 11 March 2012, 09:31 AM
warren m
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxcook
jesus ive been putting the odd 20 quid of bp ultimate in last few days only coz the shell garage is alot further away i bet your right with this mate put some v power in mine yesterday bet the 2 fuels dont mix very well or something,and bp is only 97 ron??