Notices

Steering squeal and stiffness on start up.

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2011, 01:30 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering squeal and stiffness on start up.

Today when starting the car after a day of not driving there was a squealing sound when turning the wheel and the steering felt very heavy as though the car was in mud. As I pulled out of the drive the sound seemed to go and the steering lightened up again back to normal and remained that way during the whole journey to work 15miles away.

The same thing happened again later on in the day when I left work, this time a slightly higher pitched squealing which increased as the car accelerated until it to diss dread wrong with the heavy steering feel.

What could this be? Power steering, a belt, fluid? Tried to see if I could find the power steering fluid reservoir to check the levels but no luck, where is this located?

Again the noise and heavy feeling occurred both times when the car was sat for awhile and disappeared once the car was moving plus 10mph.

Thanks
Old 26 September 2011, 01:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Most likely the drive belt to the power steering pump, (and alternator), is loose, get it tightened up, or DIY, since it will cause wear and could cause a flat battery

If it's NOT loose, then the power steering pump is knackered, or on it's way out.

To check belt tension, press and pull in the centre of the longest section, (engine OFF, of course), it should move in total about 15mm.

Tension is altered By loosening the bolt at the left side of the alternator, and then either wind up the adjuster, or use a short pry bar to lever the end of the alternator upwards and retighten bolt. Check tension again, redo if it's not right. Takes two minutes.
Old 26 September 2011, 02:12 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sometimes have stiffness in the morning.
Old 26 September 2011, 02:37 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Me too.
My neck kills sometimes!
Old 26 September 2011, 02:52 PM
Ryan@Indigo-GT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

On a serious note, I had this exact same thing on my Type R a few years back, turned out the fluid was a bit low, always worth a check. The fluid resevoir is towards the front of the engine, black metal box shape with a yellow top.
Old 26 September 2011, 03:45 PM
RetroMk1
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, i had this problem also on another car, fluid is under the intake that runs from the front of the car to the inner wing, thats if you've got stock airbox
Old 26 September 2011, 03:53 PM
L&G.scooby
Scooby Regular

I to had this problem only a few weeks ago. My belt and tensioners were u/s. New belt and tentioner, solved my problem.
Old 26 September 2011, 04:06 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My type r was the same when I bought it.It was quite low on fluid,but after topping up it's been fine since.

Danny.
Old 26 September 2011, 05:01 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that all, will do a check. What's the recommended stuff to get or will any power steering fluid do the job?
Old 26 September 2011, 05:15 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the slick 50 gearbox and power steering fluid.It says it seals leaks apparently.
I think most of them should be fine.

Danny.
Old 29 September 2011, 08:36 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Most likely the drive belt to the power steering pump, (and alternator), is loose, get it tightened up, or DIY, since it will cause wear and could cause a flat battery

If it's NOT loose, then the power steering pump is knackered, or on it's way out.

To check belt tension, press and pull in the centre of the longest section, (engine OFF, of course), it should move in total about 15mm.

Tension is altered By loosening the bolt at the left side of the alternator, and then either wind up the adjuster, or use a short pry bar to lever the end of the alternator upwards and retighten bolt. Check tension again, redo if it's not right. Takes two minutes.
Spot on that's exactly what it was. Made a right bloody racket too squealing like a pig caught under the bonnet and when turning the steering wheel the wheel would judder and the battery light flashed intermittently and the battery seemed to strain. I checked the belt and it was very loose. Tightened it all up and it's spot on now. Was shocked at how loose the belt had become so suddenly. Anyway made a quick video of the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmazM...e_gdata_player
Old 29 September 2011, 09:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

A brand new belt will relax as it's put under load... then as the load increases, the slip occurs.

Even on the air handling units at work, I have to go back after a week and tweak out the slack.

Hope she's fit again.

Regards,

dunx
Old 17 October 2011, 09:33 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Occurred again this morning on start up, same thing as before but no where near as loud or the steering as stiff as previous, but once again the noise came and went after about 20sec, the battery light flashed intermittently as I turned the steering wheel which juddered and felt heavy.

The car has been ok since i tightend the slack alternator belt last month. Had a check and the belt seems tight and secure, maybe the belt needsmtaking off and putting back on and tightening up again properly