Notices

Wheel bearing diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2011, 12:40 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel bearing diagnosis

I've noticed an increase in road noise lately and more recently, a quite noticable 'rough' sound when cornering left. There doesn't seem to be the classic whirring sound of a wheel bearing. with the usual level of road and stiff suspension noise it's not easy to definately pinpoint the problem side or front/rear but the left turn noise would point to the right (offside) bearing(s), as it's being loaded.
It's an 03 STi with just 41k
Annoyingly, for inspection, the whole car needs to be lifted to be able to turn the wheels.
Any thoughts or experiences on this would be much appreciated!

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 12 October 2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12 October 2011, 12:42 PM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience some whirr, some grind, and some squeel when they're on their way out (ive currently got a squeeling one). Jack it up, and rock the wheel with hands at 12 and 6 o'clock, and again at 3 and 9 o'clock positions.. and play would suggest a bearing. Give it a spin by hand and compare it to the opposite side spining for smoothness.
Old 12 October 2011, 04:45 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sorry to thread hijac but i think i got same prob.
I noticed a few months ago i changed caliper disc s and pads that sorted. Now 500 odd miles im getting a whining (wheel bearing like noise)noise from this rear left wheel could it be wheel bearing generating so much heat?
Old 12 October 2011, 09:20 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I'm going to Extreme Scoobies tomorrow to put the car on the lift to drive the wheels and have a listen to all four. Hopefully Paul will hear something although they won't be under any actual load. Will post up the findings later on tomorrow.

JohnD
Old 12 October 2011, 09:23 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonic93
sorry to thread hijac but i think i got same prob.
I noticed a few months ago i changed caliper disc s and pads that sorted. Now 500 odd miles im getting a whining (wheel bearing like noise)noise from this rear left wheel could it be wheel bearing generating so much heat?
If the bearing is generating noticable heat, it could be devoid of any meaningful lubrication. It could soon get close to seizure.

Johnd
Old 13 October 2011, 02:02 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
I'm going to Extreme Scoobies tomorrow to put the car on the lift to drive the wheels and have a listen to all four. Hopefully Paul will hear something although they won't be under any actual load. Will post up the findings later on tomorrow.

JohnD
Had the car up on the lift with all four wheels tuning under power. Apparantly, there is noise from all four with the front drivers side the worst (as I had suspected) I'm a bit loath to have the bad one done then a few months later, hearing another one start to moan! Paul at Extreme is working out a costing for all four but I'll certainly be looking at quite a few hundred!
It made me think that if this is the case with a car with just over 41k, there must be thousands of cars out there with moaning bearings with the owners oblivious! Because the increase in noise is gradual, anyone not really in tune with their cars will not realise there could be a problem until there is a sudden increase in noise or someone else comments on it!
Other than pads and tyres, this is the first thing to give grief in 8 years of ownership.

JohnD
Old 13 October 2011, 04:29 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

oh not good. i think my bearing gone but i think my brakes are to fault for the heatas i changed caliper with a known working 1 im gonna change rear hose i think it might of colapsed in side causing fluid to not returning as it should if u no what i mean ?lol
Old 17 October 2011, 10:36 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Got the quote for the whole job using genuine Subaru parts - £105 each rear bearing set and £95 each for the front! S**t that's expensive? Add a full day+ of labour and I'm not going to get much change out of £800!
Considered doing it myself but would need to find a reliable workshop to press out the old bearings and install the new.
I've booked it in but am still considering options.

JohnD