Old 27 July 2011, 11:36 AM
jase5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just received...

Hey guys,

Just received a k&n gold 1008 oil filter and magnetic sump plug:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1328wt_907

Anyone had any experience with these? ok to use? its the smaller of the possibilities k&n do for the Impreza I think and hadn't realised this when I purchased because the picture shown for the item shows the taller/longer oil filter rather than the smaller one that I have actually received.

The oil filter that has been exploded in the following link, is the size I have received, rather than the taller/longer model shown in the top picture.

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1566

It came with a magnetic sump plug, is it worth sticking that on when I change the oil and filter over, it came with the oil filter and altogether wasn't that expensive, so guessing the mag sump plug is fairly cheap so not sure whether to be wary of it or not?

The oil that will be going in is the renamed Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 10w50 aka Silkolene Pro S from opieoils having been recommended the most in a recent 'which oil' thread.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1145-sil...e-engines.aspx

Last query I have is, my father has one of those 'suck the old oil out the dipstick' machines, are these ok to use also, safe to use and won't cause any damage or anything? I'm thinking of using it and getting what I can out, then removing the sump, to get any remaining oil out, then replacing sump with mag sump!

Cars a MY99 Sport 2.0l

Many thanks in advance!

Jase
Old 27 July 2011, 11:56 AM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Just drop the oil out the sump mate, easy enough to do, just watch for it running down your arm!!
Old 27 July 2011, 12:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magnetic sump plug is good for iron filings, considering your engine is mainly alloy do you think its a good idea fitting it?

Tony
Old 27 July 2011, 01:29 PM
jase5
Scooby Regular

I was thinking this, came across this thread...

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...oy-engine.html

but thought, I'd ask anyway..
Old 27 July 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Magnetic sump plug is good for iron filings, considering your engine is mainly alloy do you think its a good idea fitting it?

Tony

It seems that is a very common misconception. I got into a decent technical discussion with some other well known Scooby tuners about this very fact. You may be interested to read it. Here.
Old 27 July 2011, 02:54 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stu, we have been through this before it all depends on the application, in all alloy engines its pretty useless, if you get THAT much ferrious material floating around your engine then your engine is screwed because something has broken and no matter what, its not going to fix itself
In a nice cast iron engine (like those yanks have for their big v8's before they started going alloy), then its great as you cant clear out all the little bits of material once it starts wearing in.
So some applications its great and in others its pretty useless

Tony
Old 27 July 2011, 03:00 PM
jase5
Scooby Regular

ok, so basically, im right now in the middle of an oil change lol! and keep getting emails come through on my fone so keep coming back to the laptop to check and read read read lol!

so basically, putting the magnetic sump plug in instead of the original wont do any harm!? I can have it in there till 6months time/5000miles or however long an interval should be then when I change the oil again, I can simply check, if no metal bits at all are on there, then thats a gd sign as theres no loose magnetic bits of metal floating around, but on the other hand if there are loads, then basically I know I have problems and could simply try and sell the car and get rid before anything worse happens!?

At the end of the day I havent spent a fortune on the magneti sump plug, I have it now, and if there is no harm in trying it then I may as well give it a go. Next Oil change I'll through a thread up on here and let all know what I find!?
Old 27 July 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Stu, we have been through this before it all depends on the application, in all alloy engines its
pretty useless
Name one...?

if you get THAT much ferrious material floating around your engine then your engine is screwed because something has broken and no matter what, its not going to fix itself
Thats a bit of a silly statement to make in as such as you assume one bit of metal breaking away makes your engines a throwaway item. We had a SC mini in recently that had started to destroy a bucket. (very common on these) and we diagnosed that instantly because the bucket top was attached to the magnet when we took it out. That fast bucket repair saved him dropping a valve and lunching the entire engine(Also quite common on these)

In a nice cast iron engine (like those yanks have for their big v8's before they started going alloy), then its great as you cant clear out all the little bits of material once it starts wearing in.
So your alloy engines moving & wearing parts are made of alloy?

Your crankshaft, piston rings, little end pins, oil pump rotors and drives, camshafts, cam followers and the various types of roller bearings are all made of alloy? I guess your cylinder bores are too? Are you sure?

With all due respect, I make the assumption that you do not build engines or have much at all to do with them on a technical basis Tony?

Last edited by Evolution Stu; 27 July 2011 at 03:08 PM.