Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2011, 10:14 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid questions - coolant and second dipstick

Morning folks.

A couple of stupid questions -

when topping up the coolant should I top up the header tank or the little plastic overflow/breather thingy next to the battery?
Presumably the car being parked facing uphill shouldn't make any appreciable difference to the coolant level? (Header tank currently appears to be completely empty but engine shows no signs of anything dodgy going on - no white smoke other than on start up which i believe is condensation, no mayonnaise, no hot running - goes to half way on the temp gauge and just stays there.)

Also, on the overflow whatever it is next to the battery there's a pipe venting to atmosphere... or rather dropping water all over the battery tray. where should this be routed? it looks pretty short so not sure where it's supposed to go...

finally - since I have the top mount off so i can replace my starter where the top bolt snapped/rattled loose, I've noticed a second dipstick at the back of the engine, presumably going into either the gearbox or font diff (or both - do they share oil?). currently this is showing as virtually dry, but as I mentioned, the car is parked facing up hill at the moment so it's obviously not a true reading. If I get it on the flat and it's still low, where do I top it up and what kind of oil should I use?

car is a 93 classic.

cheers,

MArk.
Old 26 July 2011, 10:19 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would have to look at my coolant tank to see where the pipe is routed, but the dipstick is the gearbox level, you need a funnel and top up down that pipe, though its suppose to be changed every 2 years which is easier than topping up (never had to do any topping up of the gearbox oil if the car is maintained to the correct standard or checked for leaks).

Tony
Old 26 July 2011, 10:50 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On early classics the overflow coolant bottle does just VTA if it's pissing water out the pipe and the header tank is empty you have an airlock, or a breach in the cooling system.

Dump the coolant front system via the bottom rad hose and heater matrix if you can be bothered. Then reconnect everything leaving the cap off the header tank. Remove the turbo coolant pipe from the header tank and refill slowly but constantly from this pipe until water rises up to fill the header tank.

See if you can get a full system without pissing out the overflow before you do anything else I'd also fit a zerosports thermostat too as this aids cool running. Seen great results in both my scoobs by running one of these.
Old 26 July 2011, 11:03 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.
Will have a go at just topping up via the header tank once the car's back on the level and see what happens. if it all goes horribly wrong I'll investigate further...

likewise, will check the gearbox oil again on the level.
Old 26 July 2011, 11:06 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markb_s1
Thanks guys.
Will have a go at just topping up via the header tank once the car's back on the level and see what happens. if it all goes horribly wrong I'll investigate further...

likewise, will check the gearbox oil again on the level.
If you want to avoid airlocks

Remove the turbo coolant pipe from the header tank and refill slowly but constantly from this pipe
Old 26 July 2011, 11:09 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Will do... assuming I can find it!
(my mechanical skills are nto the best, and the stupid chimney stack thing/general unfamiliar layout of the engine has not been doing me any favours getting anywhere near to the turbo or anything else so far!)

Presumably a td05 would still have water cooling, as i think it's non standard?
I was told by the previous owner that it's the biggest one they fitted out the factroy, but not sure if that came on the 93 wrx or not!
Old 26 July 2011, 11:14 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Nah on a classic the biggest turbo is either the vf22 or the vf23, on a new age its a vf42

Tony
Old 26 July 2011, 11:16 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Ok, ta. maybe it's one of those then? I'm sure he said td05 though.

Guess I might have to brave it and try to get a proper look while the intercooler's off.
Old 26 July 2011, 05:16 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by markb_s1
Ok, ta. maybe it's one of those then? I'm sure he said td05 though.

Guess I might have to brave it and try to get a proper look while the intercooler's off.
No, chances are you do have a td05 16G fitted but its not the biggest turbo they fitted to the classics

Tony
Old 27 July 2011, 09:24 AM
markb_s1
Scooby Regular

Thanks Tony.

Still doign battle with my snapped starter bolt at the moment so will have a proper look next time i'm contorted in the engine bay..