FMIC installation question

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2011, 10:17 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default FMIC installation question

Hi guys.

Im fitting a FMIC or at least will be in a few days when I find some spare to to finish it , at present I have removed the obvious parts to get to it all (bumper, lights, grille, pulled back the fender blah blah) and I was just woundering if/why/how people remove the black plastic in the bumper, I assume its to get more air to cooler, but it does appear to be a fair integral part of the bumper, is it ok to chop it out?

I have found some threads on here that have helped like this one here, but it appears the plastic bit is still in situ https://www.scoobynet.com/essex-scoo...rdays-mod.html

Advice please
Thanks
Rob

Old 13 June 2011, 10:30 PM
stu turbo 98
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know about new age cars but on the classics the plastic needs to be cut out for the cooler to fit,just a small section of the number plate mount remains with no ill effects to the bumpers structure,i hope this helps?
Old 13 June 2011, 11:31 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RCMS chopped out that black part when they fitted my FMIC

I'll have a look for a link or pic

Shaun
Old 13 June 2011, 11:33 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/892270-induction-kit-2.html

It's gone in these pics

Shaun
Old 14 June 2011, 06:49 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

You can trim it but it will partially cover the I/C core. I've removed most of mine but left enough to attach the Zunsport front grille to.
Old 14 June 2011, 07:42 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Excellent thanks Shaun, so I guess its just a case of being gentle at this part to make sure I dont chop into any visionary parts .

There is quite a lot of bumper to cut away by the looks of your FMIC, I best have a brandy (or a stella) before hand to calm the nerves

Thanks
Rob
Old 14 June 2011, 07:50 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlueBugEye
You can trim it but it will partially cover the I/C core. I've removed most of mine but left enough to attach the Zunsport front grille to.
That is what I was thinking, I had a Zunsports on my last car, and I was thinking it would be an idea to get one for this car to help protect the core, but woundered even at my level of power whether it would reduce the flow enough to be noticable, im guessing not.

Thanks for the info, I think I will chop the back off and try and retain it and go down the grille route

Just out of interest, how do people fit grilles when they have removed the said plastic trim?

Rob
Old 14 June 2011, 03:58 PM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Rob, just cut one bit at a time and double check with each cut. A carpet bladed stanley knife is good for small cuts and also for tidying up.

What about leaving the black bar and cutting circles init easier that cutting off. I cut mine off but I made up brackets to use the OE subaru grill and fitted worked well.

Ricey
Old 14 June 2011, 07:19 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys, made some progress today in the hour I had spare ...... Taken the day off work tomorrow to get cracking along with some other jobs
Old 15 June 2011, 10:30 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Well today was very constructive, alomst all complete bat a few little issues that I can sort at a later date, such as the bolt in the pass fog cover had sieved on solid, so I had to drill it out, also the inner wing liners are not sitting back fully, so i'll spend more time on this tomorrow.

I have to say if I was to do it again I think I would probaly not bother, its no fun on your own, and when you have done a total of 10 hours on the job you start woundering if its worth it when I could have been at work and paid someone else to do it.

Anyway I have just literally got in from test driving the car, and after 10min warming up I decided to give it a bit of boost .... a big woosh.... sounded like pipe blowing off !!! then no boost.

Need to investigate tomorrow.

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 15 June 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 15 June 2011, 10:44 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

ahhhhhhh they joys of subaru modification.
Old 15 June 2011, 10:45 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob at first have look for loose clamps or if you are running DV have look for air leak there,something similar happens to my friend.

Jura
Old 16 June 2011, 07:36 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

It took me three hours to fit the FMIC, and two days of shaving the bumper to get a good fit...

Try some carpet tack on the loose pipe IF you missed tightening it properly.

No-one said this would be fun...

dunx
Old 16 June 2011, 07:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I chickened out and had Darren cut my bumper when I bought a newer one. It took him a GOOD three hours to do it. The number of times he tried it and then removed it and shaved more bits off............

I assume you WILL be getting the map tweaked once it's up and running?
Old 16 June 2011, 08:33 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
ahhhhhhh they joys of subaru modification.
Oh Yes
Im glad I have done it now (Today), but yesterday I was cursing myself for taking the job on. Im a fairly hands on type of guy, so Im not finished yet, Im going again remove the bumper at some point and have some changes made to it and have it repainted. I was thinking of filling in the Fog covers permanently, and alos allow for some better breathing.

Originally Posted by jura11
Rob at first have look for loose clamps or if you are running DV have look for air leak there,something similar happens to my friend.

Jura
Thanks Jura, This was my first thought, I ran up the road from me for 10 mins warming the car up listening for unusual noises, and other than the turbo chatter it sounded all fine, so on the way back down the hill I gripped just 4'500 rpm where the turbo was just getting a good spool and I heard what I can only describe as a serious dump of compressed air, so Im guessing I have left a clamp loose, will investigate later today.

Originally Posted by dunx
It took me three hours to fit the FMIC, and two days of shaving the bumper to get a good fit...

Try some carpet tack on the loose pipe IF you missed tightening it properly.

No-one said this would be fun...

dunx
Your certainly right Dunx, a fiar bit of knuckle munching goes on when your hacking the bumper away, although my tools were probably far from perfect for the job, I had a fair assortment to make sure I got a "decent" finish to the bumper itself using a hand saw, junior hand saw, stanley knife, belt sander and a weird looking knife a neighbour lent me, which I can only describe as a small rip saw the size of a bread knife (I was going to use this on my wrist if it rained again)

Originally Posted by alcazar
I chickened out and had Darren cut my bumper when I bought a newer one. It took him a GOOD three hours to do it. The number of times he tried it and then removed it and shaved more bits off............

I assume you WILL be getting the map tweaked once it's up and running?
As the FMIC didnt come with the bumper bar, I had to hack mine up, which if you knew which bits to cut would have only took 20mins, then I painted mine to prevent premature corrosion. My cutting was done in around 6 stages (cut, test, cut, test, try bumper, cut, try bumper etc) so it tok quite sometime, but if I was to do it again Im fairly sure I would be able to to do this first time right.

As for the Mapping I was going to get Andrew Carr to look at it this week prior to the Grudgement, but I have also got a new clutch kit to get installed, so Its looking like next week the earliest. We are also going down the Meth route for fueling

Back to the bumper cutting again, I think if you have the right resources you can do this in 3 Hours easily, and I would imagine the Full FMIC is a fully day of a job for a proffesional.

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 16 June 2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 19 June 2011, 02:51 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Well I think its only right that I repliy with the outcome. I did hack away quite an alarming amount of bumper to get the require finish, and im reasonably happy with the outcome at this point. Going forward I intend on doing something a little different with the bumper so im not overally bothered about makng the job look 100% perfect just now.

Anyway, here it is fitted with the FMIC in its original state:

I wasnt happy with the look, so went for matt black

The Bonnet is slightly out of line due to pipe work between the boost controller and the header tank. I sll tackle this later today
Old 19 June 2011, 02:58 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Well I think its only right that I repliy with the outcome. I did hack away quite an alarming amount of bumper to get the require finish, and im reasonably happy with the outcome at this point. Going forward I intend on doing something a little different with the bumper so im not overally bothered about makng the job look 100% perfect just now.

Anyway, here it is fitted with the FMIC in its original state:

I wasnt happy with the look, so went for matt black

The Bonnet is slightly out of line due to pipe work between the boost controller and the header tank. I sll tackle this later today

Rob looking good,much better in black i must admit

Jura
Old 19 June 2011, 03:08 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does look much better in black
Old 19 June 2011, 07:15 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Just need to spray the car black then

dunx
Old 19 June 2011, 07:30 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Just need to spray the car black then

dunx
As you are more than likely aware I was close to going the full Matt Le-Black, but having done a little research it appears to be a bad idea doing any Matt on a car due to the fact its hard to keep clean and Matt is quite easily scracthed which are difficult to get out

Rob

PS - if the car was black then the cooler would have stayed Silver