Notices

sc36 billet turbo vs harvey`s/andy forest ported 18g turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2011, 11:48 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc36 billet turbo vs harvey`s/andy forest ported 18g turbo.

As title says sc36 billet vs one of harvey`s or andy forest`s ported 18g turbo`s,i need feedback from you guys who have or had these turbos fitted please,and mappers who have mapped them both.I have an sti v5 mapped by simon(JGM)which currently has the standard vf28,gt spec2 headers/up pipe,3" nur spec R decat zorst,fuelab fpr,fmic,3 port boost solenoid,simtek ecu with al and lc,RCM large cone induction/spun ally trumphet,550cc injectors(yet to fit),pfr7b plugs,walbro 255 pump,think thats it but may have forgot summat.
i have narrowed it down to the above turbo`s as the choices for my final upgrade to the car after exstensive reading and wanted your views and experiences,advantages and dissadvantages of them both before i choose between them.im wanting to make my car a fast point to point road car with as quick spooling performance as possible along with power that wont fade pulling all the way to the red line.I had a vf 35 on my last car and it was great apart from it ran out of steam to quickly high up,this kind of performance but with much more grunt is what im after fellas,OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCES PLEASE

Last edited by WhiteWagonMan; 11 January 2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11 January 2011, 09:15 AM
MalcB
Scooby Regular

I've got an SC36 fitted to a 2.1 stroker (new build) full de-cat, 3 port solenoid valve, Spec C injectors(600cc) and Walbro fuel pump . Built and mapped at Engine Tuner (Martyn). Made a very comfortable 330 BHP. Loads of grunt low down and still making power over 6.5K. Made a very quick a drivable Wagon in my case.
Name:  329.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  61.4 KB

Last edited by MalcB; 11 January 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11 January 2011, 09:39 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

based on figures i think harveys will make a more power, but in saying that there both good turbos. the 18G will always make more as its slightly bigger.
Old 11 January 2011, 08:03 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

Originally Posted by MalcB
I've got an SC36 fitted to a 2.1 stroker (new build) full de-cat, 3 port solenoid valve, Spec C injectors(600cc) and Walbro fuel pump . Built and mapped at Engine Tuner (Martyn). Made a very comfortable 330 BHP. Loads of grunt low down and still making power over 6.5K. Made a very quick a drivable Wagon in my case.
Not wanting to upset you mate but them figures from an sc36 on a 2.1 stroker tells me theres something not right,i have that power now with a vf28.
Old 11 January 2011, 08:10 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

no exhaust, filter and fmic I guess that's why it made 330 oh and it's a new engine so I doubt Martyn is running high boost I suspect thats 1.3 or 1.4 bar and not much ignition.
Old 11 January 2011, 09:59 PM
MalcB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mus
no exhaust, filter and fmic I guess that's why it made 330 oh and it's a new engine so I doubt Martyn is running high boost I suspect thats 1.3 or 1.4 bar and not much ignition.
Yep first map at 1000 miles 1,1 Bar max. Taking a trip back down there shortly. Now done 4000
Old 11 January 2011, 10:37 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

nice one keep us posted after the tweak always nice to compare results
Old 11 January 2011, 11:44 PM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MalcB
Yep first map at 1000 miles 1,1 Bar max. Taking a trip back down there shortly. Now done 4000
ahhh now i see said the blind man to the deaf dog
Old 12 January 2011, 07:18 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by WhiteWagonMan
Not wanting to upset you mate but them figures from an sc36 on a 2.1 stroker tells me theres something not right,i have that power now with a vf28.
There's nothing at all wrong with it, not everybody wants to push every opportunity to the max. If you actually drove that car, you'd see the benefit.
Old 12 January 2011, 08:26 AM
MalcB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
There's nothing at all wrong with it, not everybody wants to push every opportunity to the max. If you actually drove that car, you'd see the benefit.
Absolutely, Alan !!!!!! Drives brilliantly does everything I expected and more. Placid enough for the missus to drive Mad enough to make my petrolhead son's envious A great everyday driver
Old 12 January 2011, 10:46 AM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Totally agree with what ya saying Alan,when simon mapps my car`s we set it on the safe side of quick for that very reason,its a daily driver and i want it to last.When i saw 2.1 stroker and sc36 i expected big power figures to emerge,obviousley not knowing the car and what had been done to it recently threw me off,now i do its more clear and the figures make sense mate.
Old 12 January 2011, 11:46 AM
H4RDY-P1
Scooby Regular

Glen did you see the latest SC36 billet on beefs standard ish P1,would probs make an identical fig to your spec mate maybe more on yours,300lbft at 4krpm,that would be mega on the road mate.
https://www.scoobynet.com/799025-sco...better-49.html
Old 12 January 2011, 03:23 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The 18G FTW!
Old 12 January 2011, 03:28 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

360BHP is OK,but these BHP you can make with good VF34 or 18G's.

Jura
Old 12 January 2011, 06:48 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by WhiteWagonMan
As title says sc36 billet vs one of harvey`s or andy forest`s ported 18g turbo`s,i need feedback from you guys who have or had these turbos fitted please,and mappers who have mapped them both.I have an sti v5 mapped by simon(JGM)which currently has the standard vf28,gt spec2 headers/up pipe,3" nur spec R decat zorst,fuelab fpr,fmic,3 port boost solenoid,simtek ecu with al and lc,RCM large cone induction/spun ally trumphet,550cc injectors(yet to fit),pfr7b plugs,walbro 255 pump,think thats it but may have forgot summat.
i have narrowed it down to the above turbo`s as the choices for my final upgrade to the car after exstensive reading and wanted your views and experiences,advantages and dissadvantages of them both before i choose between them.im wanting to make my car a fast point to point road car with as quick spooling performance as possible along with power that wont fade pulling all the way to the red line.I had a vf 35 on my last car and it was great apart from it ran out of steam to quickly high up,this kind of performance but with much more grunt is what im after fellas,OPINIONS AND EXPERIENCES PLEASE
Just read your spec. In your position the first thing I would do would be to fit one of my 3 bolt special uppipes. It will transform your existing performance. Anyone that actually has one of these uppipes with a spec similar to yours will verify that.
Old 12 January 2011, 07:04 PM
leeroywrx
Scooby Regular

How much are your uppipes Harvey also do you still do your hs420s mate?
Old 13 January 2011, 12:50 AM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Just read your spec. In your position the first thing I would do would be to fit one of my 3 bolt special uppipes. It will transform your existing performance. Anyone that actually has one of these uppipes with a spec similar to yours will verify that.
Harvey you have pm matey.
Old 13 January 2011, 02:04 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

All PMs up to date.

The three bolt special uppipe of which there are two is £149, slip jointed, DEI heat wrapped with five new Subaru studs.
The two bolt uppipes of which there are six are slip jointed, DEI heat wrapped and five new Subaru studs.
Obviously one uppipe cannot handle the wide range of specifications and turbos, hence the need for a wide selection of options.

The choice of uppipe and to a lesser extent headers is critical to the potential performance of your car. Both have to work in conjunction and compliment each other.

The slip joint is beneficial to reduce stress on the headers with constant heat cycling. This reduces the possibility of the headers cracking.
It also reduces the possibility of distorted flanges and blown gaskets.

If anyone with an existing set of GT2 headers and 3 bolt uppipe would like to try the Special Three Bolt uppipe using exactly the same spec and turbo, ie uppipe change only, no other mods, I am game for back to back testing to independantly demonstrate the benefits. However, the car does need attention to the map because of the signifigant improvement in spool. You will need more fuel earlier where the car is spooling up.

We can fit the uppipe either 11 February or 12 February, do a brief test and remap followed by a further test.
Uppipe £149
Fit £75.
Road test and if you are not happy it comes off. No money changes hands. I know whoever does this will be happy. Ask anyone who has this uppipe already.
Remap first thing Saturday with Bob Rawle. Cost of remap will depend on ECU and what is done etc.
Just drop me a mail harveysmith1@btopenworld.com with Model, year, existing spec and turbo, confirm you have GT2 and supplied uppipe and your car is available 11 and 12 February.
Old 13 January 2011, 02:29 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I run one of Harveys up pipes with a set of GT Headers and it makes a big difference, the turbo spools earlier and it makes more power.
Old 13 January 2011, 03:00 PM
Scooby_CL
Scooby Regular

I run Harvey's ported headers, up pipe and ported 18G... all mapped by Duncan@ Racedynamix.

car is a bit of an animal, i love it! . super easy to drive mega torque and power, still haven't got my **** in gear to get a graph but between me and Duncan we recon its an easy 350bhp with at least the same in torque if not more. still got 2.5"exhaust and sports cat also could do with a 3port so loads of room for more power

cant comment on the other turbos but from what i have set up on my car i can say its awesome! and would totally recommend Harvey's products
Old 01 February 2011, 12:49 PM
yozef
Scooby Regular

Interesting, I am after a turbo upgrade for my 2005 2.0l wrx for my next track day. Harvey I sent you a pm.
Old 01 February 2011, 07:12 PM
Mad Hammer
Scooby Regular

There is the SC38 also which is a billet 18g