Notices

Oil smell and steam

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2010, 10:51 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil smell and steam

I havent been driving my scooby as much as i used to but starting to use it more and more in this weather.

All the time ive had it, i find that when its warm it smells very oily, almost to the point of giving me a bit of a headache when im in traffic, but once moving i cant smell anything, it hasnt needed a drop of oil since ive had it either (except for when I service it of course).

Lately though, after a run on the motorway, i see a steady stream of what i assume is steam coming out of the side of the bonnet, drivers side about half way up, it looks to be steam rather than smoke and when i open the bonnet it clears quickly so i cant see where its coming from. Its also not losing water.

Any ideas what could be causing these 2 annoyances? Is it just that theyre hot engines and theyre all like that? I guess the steam could be rain water getting stuck somewhere?? Also the temp gauge doesnt go above half way so nothing is boiling.
Old 13 December 2010, 10:59 PM
bugeyejohn
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cars had steam coming out of the scoop but thats just where the engine bays damp,if youve got smoke it could be a rocker cover gasket dripping on the manifold.
Old 13 December 2010, 11:11 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Im 99% sure its just steam, i wondered if there is anywhere that a pool of water commonly builds up. I'll have a look at the rocker cover gaskets and see if they could be leaking, no sign of oil loss tho apart from the smell.

Im selling it soon so would rather get these little things tied up so I know its 100% when it goes as im a strong beleiver in car-karma lol.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 13 December 2010, 11:28 PM
scooby800
Scooby Regular

iv seen a o/s/f inner cv boot split on a classic spraying greese onto down pipe witch cleard when stoped as shaft stops rotating???
Old 13 December 2010, 11:31 PM
f8rdy
Scooby Regular

Thats an interesting one too, will check that!
Old 04 January 2011, 04:33 AM
greenfumb
Scooby Regular

try top radiator hose were it joins the engine on the drivers side for splits or leaks mine was making a little puddle of water and running down the side making steam (was a sneaky leak as was underneath and only leaked under full throttle) 6 quid new pipe might help deffo worth checking
Old 04 January 2011, 01:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

All three of the above are viable and I've had two of them on mine. (Not the boot.....yet).

Are your headers wrapped? In damp conditions, LOADS of steam comes off mine as they dry.
Old 05 January 2011, 11:59 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and I had so much steam coming from under the bonnet on a humid day that a guy with a fire extinguisher came running towards me. Good for a laugh. Just wrapped headers drying out.

Your steam could be a small drip of water from one of the coolant pipes on to the hot turbo or headers/exhaust manifold. Tighten all hose clips.

Burning oil smell is a common fault on Subarus. Usually cam cover gasket or half moon seals on drivers side need replacing. Little dripd of oil drop on to the hot headers and only a little oil makes lots of smoke/pong. You never find oil under the car as the oil is completely evapourated on the hot exhaust. Change one or both cam cover gaskets and halfmoons.