Notices

engine fault codes with a fc commander??

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2010, 01:27 PM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine fault codes with a fc commander??

hi guys how can i check the engine faults coes with a FC commander ?? my car is getting high knock levels and i think it may be due to the old knock sensor!!!

my95 sti with new v7 bottom end.
Old 14 November 2010, 01:29 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How high is your knock going mate?and when is it occuring?
Old 14 November 2010, 01:42 PM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

Hi its at higher revs even on low boost AF told me to check if anything was loose in the engine but nothing is!! its getting mapped by him again in january, the car has been off the road of a year i just serviced it new fuel filter oil feul etc... here is a pic from the FC commander,

Last edited by davefaedeen; 14 November 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 14 November 2010, 01:43 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

when i wanted to read mine, i drove to the garage, pluged the standard ecu in, read codes, then re fitted the apexi

job done
Old 14 November 2010, 01:44 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

bad batch of fuel?
Old 14 November 2010, 01:48 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

54 is getting up there abit,could be as daone said bad fuel but could also be something else,does it feel different when it happens like a small misfire or anything as it could be plugs or coil pack problem.
Old 14 November 2010, 01:51 PM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

i have ran 2 diff tanks of 99 through the car, i mite give optimax a go next time to see if that makes any diff, the previous owner had the car mapped to optimax by AF but my local garage is tesco, they are both 99 octane fuels so i dont think fuel is the problem?? the check engine light has come on 3 times due to the high knock level so now am driving it round like a shopping car set to the lowest boost arrrggghhh help!!! daone i dont have the old ecu am afraid gutted!!!
Old 14 November 2010, 02:03 PM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

no problems when it happens, just me lifting my foot off the peddel like a bat out of hell when the engine light comes on !!!
Old 14 November 2010, 03:16 PM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

any ideas gents????
Old 14 November 2010, 05:06 PM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

bump
Old 15 November 2010, 10:03 AM
bruce
Scooby Regular

Were the heads skimmed when fitted to the new bottom end? could be a slightly raised compression ratio causing this. That happened on my old 2 litre engine after head gasket change with a head skim. Needed to get the map adjusted.
Old 15 November 2010, 10:37 AM
SCOOBYLADVA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davefaedeen
hi guys how can i check the engine faults coes with a FC commander ?? my car is getting high knock levels and i think it may be due to the old knock sensor!!!

my95 sti with new v7 bottom end.
Hi mate,

You cant check on the PFC commander iirc.
Old 15 November 2010, 11:44 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it mapped for the new bottom end?

Compression will be altered by pistons, gaskets etc
Old 17 November 2010, 12:54 PM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the posts guys am just waiting to hear back from the previous owner weather the map was carried out post or pre v7 bottom end install
Old 18 November 2010, 12:04 PM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

Ok so i contacted the last onwer and it was mapped by AF after the rebuild the heads were also polished during the rebuild, so that cant be it??? do you think the knock sensor is faulty?? as its prob the original from way back in 95? am totally stumped surely the engine isnt actually knocking???
Old 18 November 2010, 02:02 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Ok so i contacted the last onwer and it was mapped by AF after the rebuild the heads were also polished during the rebuild, so that cant be it??? do you think the knock sensor is faulty?? as its prob the original from way back in 95? am totally stumped surely the engine isnt actually knocking???
It is impossible for me to answer your question with 100% authority as I don't know how the Apexi knock detection circuitry/detection algorithm is actually designed. The Subaru OE ECU knock detection system, for example, is a bit primitive and can sometimes get confused by high levels of transmission or road noise, triggering "false" knock correction. If the Apexi ECU works in a similar way, it may be getting similarly confused.

However, as a general point, if your knock sensor was faulty, it would be more likely to under-read rather than the reverse.

This being the case, the problem you have is that while you can assume that the engine "isn't actually knocking", you don't know. The pecautionary principle applies here. It is better to assume the worst, and prove the suspicion wrong, than assume it's a false positive and find in a couple of months' time, after it blows up, that the ECU was giving you a genuine report.

Fitting a new knock sensor on an elective basis might be an interesting, low cost next diagnostic step. Another way forward would be to contact Andy (or a conveniently located reputable tuner) and ask them to have a quick listen with some det cans. Or maybe fit a Phormula KS3/4 system and see what that has to say.

Last edited by Splitpin; 18 November 2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 18 November 2010, 02:11 PM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

splitpin thanks for your reply, i will order a new knock sensor and also see if i can get someone to look at the car with some det cans to see whats up. i have a feeling it could be down to noise, eg the induction kit or the old gearbox, but like you say its better to be sure. as it stands the car is being driven off boost untill i get a true cause for the high reading! it could also be due to the new ARC TMIC the previous owner fitted before sale??! my next question is what knock sensor do i need?? as when googled 3 diff types come up.
Old 18 November 2010, 09:03 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

splitpin thanks for your reply, i will order a new knock sensor and also see if i can get someone to look at the car with some det cans to see whats up. i have a feeling it could be down to noise, eg the induction kit or the old gearbox, but like you say its better to be sure. as it stands the car is being driven off boost untill i get a true cause for the high reading!
The knock sensor is basically just a piezoelectric microphone. It sends pretty much all the noise the engine/transmission/car is making in the the ECU, and from there it's a combination of a bit of analog filtering plus some software before the ECU has to decide what is random noise and what is knock. Like I say the Subaru control units can often guess wrong (they can sometimes miss legit knock too, unfortunately) so you're doing exactly the right thing in keeping your foot off until you're sure.

it could also be due to the new ARC TMIC the previous owner fitted before sale??!
Everything's possible. Only one way to be certain.

my next question is what knock sensor do i need?? as when googled 3 diff types come up.
Correct replacement is the 22060AA031 type. Available here. When you fit it, make sure you get the tightening torque correct - as too loose, they don't read properly, too tight, you can crack the body and give it an early death. I usually fit a slightly modified bolt that can't contact the plastic part of the body, which removes the breakage risk.
Old 18 November 2010, 09:17 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

If it doesn't cure the problem, I'm back in Aberdeen on the 10th and could easily pop round with the Detcans and have a listen?

Russell
Old 19 November 2010, 10:36 AM
davefaedeen
Scooby Regular

Hi Splitpin thanks for your reply i will order a new knock sensor and see if that cures the problem. hopefully we can get to the bottom of this!! Russel I will be back on the 19dec.. will you still be in aberdeen around this time>>> as I would like to take you up on your offer!!!

cheers again