Notices

piston slap help

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2010, 08:30 PM
primeragtir
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy piston slap help

hi can someone help please iv got a 1998 wrx import iv just had my head gaskets done and my dip stick is still blowing out and there is smock coming out of the oil fill cap when removed the garage said that i have piston slap and my rings have gone and i need new pistons and rings is this true bout the piston slap and needing new rings and pistons plese help fill like im getting my *** slapped lol

Last edited by primeragtir; 05 November 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05 November 2010, 09:04 PM
Chesters WRX
Scooby Newbie

Im not too clued up on the flat four myself to be honest with you, only worked on cvh turbo's, but generally if you're getting piston slap it would normally indicate your cylinder bores are worn & you will need to overbore the block, so you're going to need a bigger pistons to fill the hole as it were, so yes you may need new pistons and thus rings.

Although you could just try a new set of rings and see if that helps cure it, however if there is some bore wear it wouldn't at all be the long term fix and if your paying someone else to do it it's going to cost you so you might aswell do it right the first time.

Just to make sure, you don't have aftermarket forged pistons at the minute do you? As these can sometimes slap when cold, depending on manufacturer and machinist tolerances.

If you have the opportunity you could easily check for bore wear if your heads off at any point, to see if there's any lip at the top of each bore (you'd be able to tell by running your finger nail over the top cm or so of the bore, if you feel a ridge then you've got some wear), just a quick thought.

I'm getting my flame suit ready for comments from Subaru techy's if i've got something wrong now, also i'm sure being a newby and mentioning a Ford engine i may get a bit of flack too.

Im just trying to help

Cheers
James
Old 05 November 2010, 09:12 PM
primeragtir
Scooby Regular

thanks mate for your help the heads are back on now unluckly would oversize rings be a option for me?
Old 05 November 2010, 09:30 PM
Chesters WRX
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by primeragtir
thanks mate for your help the heads are back on now unluckly would oversize rings be a option for me?
As in oversized service rings? I wouldn't know if you could even get them to be honest.

Like i said it would be determined by how much wear you have as to whether you ought to go for oversized pistons and rings and how much you are willing to spend also.

You may find it cheaper to purchase a good low mileage second hand engine as it may end up being cheaper than a rebuild done properly to be honest. Again i'm not sure on Subaru engine part prices so it would be worth shopping around and looking at all of your options.

HTH

James
Old 05 November 2010, 09:55 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With that much blowby which pressurises the crankcase to the point of blowing the dipstick out - you will need a full strip and rebuild to sort that one out ie rebore to rectify wear/ovality/taper on the bores, new oversize pistons and rings etc etc.

Im assuming the garage has checked all the breathers etc to make sure they are not blocked.

Mick
Old 05 November 2010, 10:27 PM
primeragtir
Scooby Regular

not sure mte if they did they just done the head gaskets where would be a good place to start checking the breather pipes
Old 05 November 2010, 10:28 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merlin24
With that much blowby which pressurises the crankcase to the point of blowing the dipstick out - you will need a full strip and rebuild to sort that one out ie rebore to rectify wear/ovality/taper on the bores, new oversize pistons and rings etc etc.

Im assuming the garage has checked all the breathers etc to make sure they are not blocked.

Mick

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2010, 08:56 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...sket-gone.html

This was always going to be more than just the HGs gone...

Why didn't the bottom end get looked at when the engine was out?
Old 06 November 2010, 10:40 AM
primeragtir
Scooby Regular

cos iv only owned it for a few weeks and had it done at a garage (we learn from our mistakes tho )