Notices

STI 'Pink' Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2010, 07:58 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default STI 'Pink' Oil Filter

As there any benefit in going for the more expensive STI 'pink' filter over a normal one?

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/...IL_FILTER.html
Old 25 August 2010, 08:20 PM
redwards
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked the same question a while back https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...il-filter.html didn't come up with a definitive answer so stuck with the opie oil ones. Used 4 of these now and not had any issues.
Old 25 August 2010, 08:20 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wouldn't have thought so Gary.
Old 25 August 2010, 08:26 PM
R25 sti
Scooby Regular

i dont know about the pink sti one but last time i did an oil change i couldnt get my hands on a subaru filter as it was a bank holiday so i fit one from halfords.a week later i removed it as the oil temperature was running 5 degrees higher.with an oe one back in the temperature is back to normal.i didnt think it would have made that much difference...but it did.
Old 25 August 2010, 08:28 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I've read people on here saying they filter better but I'm not so sure..

After trying to get to the bottom of it myself It looks like they are higher flow filters, which obviously means less restriction for a more reliable/less likely to clog filtration system. More suited to high performance applications where the filter is changed regularly.

I guess there's two possibilities, it's either the same filter media and less of it or it's the same amount but a 'special' more open media. Given the extra price it makes sense that it's a different media.

Last edited by jameswrx; 25 August 2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 25 August 2010, 09:03 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had a look at the price of that filter and I'm amazed. £30 for an Impreza filter is nuts. It's more than a lot of people spend on the oil and all a filter really does is stop large particles. We've sold loads of the UFI 23.259.00 filters, which are sold as OEM spec filters, but when they have been tested against 'performance' filters they have done very well.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6782-oil...r-2325900.aspx

£6.51 to you guys, or a pair for £11.73. The only complaints we've had about the UFI filters in any car is that some people don't trust them as they are smaller than the one they are replacing. As they use really good quality materials, they don't need to be as large.

If you're feeling flush, spend about a tenner and get a K&N one, and they are even sold as high flow performance filters.
Old 25 August 2010, 09:25 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

k&n has almost half the amount of filter material of the oe Subaru filter.
Old 25 August 2010, 09:45 PM
KickboxingCrazy
Scooby Regular

interesting subject ill keep my eye on this one
Old 25 August 2010, 09:47 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
As there any benefit in going for the more expensive STI 'pink' filter over a normal one?

http://www.scoobyparts.com/acatalog/...IL_FILTER.html
Not if you change your oil at anything like proper intervals.
Old 25 August 2010, 09:55 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Not if you change your oil at anything like proper intervals.
Which means you are assuming sti filter is longer lasting and has better filtration, anything official on them states high flow. I'm guessing that means they are actually the opposite to what you are suggesting and probably better for flow but need changing more often to keep the flow benefit up.
Old 25 August 2010, 10:02 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

But if you change the filter at the proper intervals (or earlier) then presumably 'clogging' and any associated restriction to flow shouldn't ever be an issue on even the OEM Subaru one. I assume this is what SP means?

All you're interested in, at the end of the day (lol), is the filter's integrity (and anti-return valve if it has one). So, therefore, the OEM one should cover all bases, as Subaru will have spent time/research/money ensuring it's fit for purpose for their service schedule procedure/intervals.

I personally only ever fit factory-fit OEM oil and fuel filters.

Last edited by joz8968; 25 August 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 25 August 2010, 10:12 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

I would tend to agree James.

The Sti oil filter is said to be a higher flowing unit, but to my mind you can only increase flow through a medium if it has less restriction & this could only be attcheived by containing filtering material which is made from a less corse material that allows more flow & does not trap as much debris as the std road car filter.

This in itself is not a problem for a race/rally prepared engine, as both the oil & filter should be changed after every outing. These engines are also destined to be rebuilt many times during their life on the edge as a competion unit. Indeed, a filter used in competition would be very lucky to see as much as 500 mls worth of oil flowing through it before both it and the relitively fresh oil were consigned to the dustbin!

A road going engine however is not as lucky, so therefore needs a filter fitted that will more than last the distance between servicing whilst ensuring that the old & tired oil is fed back to the system in as clean as possible a condition.

If your still not convinced to stay with the filter that's been specifically designed for your engine & fitted by the factory from new then ask yourself this.... If the Sti oil filter was a superior product & offered an advantage over the one that the factory recommends for your car, then don't you think they would have fitted it in the first place???
Old 25 August 2010, 10:12 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Old 25 August 2010, 10:18 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Which means you are assuming sti filter is longer lasting and has better filtration, anything official on them states high flow. I'm guessing that means they are actually the opposite to what you are suggesting and probably better for flow but need changing more often to keep the flow benefit up.
No I didn't make that assumption at all. The point I was making is that if you're changing your oil every six months (at outside) even a standard filter will be off the car and in the recycler before it has had the chance to clog.

There may be specific circumstances with some high power engines where the STi filter may have an application but given that you can buy three standard Subaru OE ones for the price of a single STi unit (and an even larger number of non-Subaru ones), it's difficult to see the benefit.
Old 25 August 2010, 10:19 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
If your still not convinced to stay with the filter that's been specifically designed for your engine & fitted by the factory from new then ask yourself this.... If the Sti oil filter was a superior product & offered an advantage over the one that the factory recommends for your car, then don't you think they would have fitted it in the first place???
a) Technically the filter i'd be getting from my local dealership wasn't designed for my car either, they have changed them recently to smaller units.

b) Isn't that like saying that if the PPP was a better product they'd have fitted that as standard to all cars aswell? (rather than as an expensive option)
Old 25 August 2010, 11:29 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

a) Technically the filter i'd be getting from my local dealership wasn't designed for my car either, they have changed them recently to smaller units.
But it WAS designed for your car!... Times move on, and the filter now supplied (although smaller) meets or exceeds all of the criterior layed down by the factory for an oil filter that must carry out it's job for at least the length of the service interval's that are recommended for a normal use road car.

b) Isn't that like saying that if the PPP was a better product they'd have fitted that as standard to all cars aswell? (rather than as an expensive option)
Better for who?? Not everyone that bought an Impreza would want or even appreciate the PPP package. The factory were quite happy with the design of their car and marketed it worldwide, because in std form it is a good all rounder that pleases the masses of road users and delivers it's package in a way that is quiet & understated.

Some people however will always want a more raw product.

The PPP is aimed at a tiny & specific section of the worldwide market & was not designed by Subaru, it was the brainchild of Prodrive which is completely independant of the manufacture & it is only available to UK registered cars... This is not really any different to any other tuner that targets a small sector of the public to offer an increase in the performance (at extra cost) of their road car over and above the one that is offered by the manufacturer... The only difference is that Prodrive managed to develope this upgrade and offer it as an option through the UK dealer network whilst convincing I.M (the official importers) & not Subaru, to honour the 3yr warranty.... When Prodrive had finished their extensive testing and development program, did they add an Sti oil filter to the list of upgrades that were required to cope with the moderate power increase?

Incedently, the main reason that the Sti oil filter is more expensive than the std unit is one of pure economics... The Std unit is produced in it's millions and therefore the cost of producing each one is reflected in this cost.. The Sti filter however is nothing special when it comes to the materials used in it's construction, it is just not mass produced in the same way.

Rest assured that if Subaru decided it was benificial to have their engines fitted with an Sti filter, then they would have done so and it would not have added a single penny to the cost of building or running a car.

Last edited by PeeVee; 25 August 2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 26 August 2010, 09:22 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
No I didn't make that assumption at all. The point I was making is that if you're changing your oil every six months (at outside) even a standard filter will be off the car and in the recycler before it has had the chance to clog.

There may be specific circumstances with some high power engines where the STi filter may have an application but given that you can buy three standard Subaru OE ones for the price of a single STi unit (and an even larger number of non-Subaru ones), it's difficult to see the benefit.

Surely you've just made that point again?

Moley asked if there's a benefit to Sti over STD, your reply said not unless you don't change your filter at correct intervals. That's by definition saying the benefit of Sti is if you don't change at intervals, therefore meaning it's a better 'filter' and will somehow last longer.

Right or wrong my feeling is the Sti is actually less effective at small filtration as it's marketed as high flow. And therefore if you're going to be slacker on service intervals STD would be best. If your racing and changing every race etc then Sti may be best due to higher flow.