Notices

wipers jumping off windscreen

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2010, 12:53 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wipers jumping off windscreen

I've had a problem with movement in my wipers (whilst turned off of course ) for a few weeks, but after driving it yesterday in a load of rain, it seems somethings finally broken (or got a lot worse!)

With the wipers turned off, i can move the arms about 6 inches up the screen, just because of slackness in the mechanism. In the rain today, the drivers side wiper is so flappy that it hits the scuttle cover at the bottom of the screen, AND jumps off the screen at the top of the sweep!

Taken the wiper arms and scuttle off when i got home from work and it seems that this bit is at fault:

Theres a lot of movement in the joint where the white plastic bush thingy is. I've also noticed theres another white bush underneath the motor where the arm meets the motor and that might be loose too.

So, question is.... what are these little white plastic bits called? And can they be replaced easily, or do i need a whole new linkage?? If its a new linkage, are they expensive?

Can't really use the car in the rain now, as i'm worried i'll damage the paintwork on the pillar where the wiper is jumping over it
Old 15 August 2010, 01:22 PM
djwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might be worth a trip too a subaru dealer....if they half decent they could probaly look on there parts breakdown and tell you what you need.i normaly just go in ..be a bit cheeky and say""do us favour mate ....have quick look at this" ten out of ten times someone come out too car and pretty much tell you what wrong