horrible, horrible clunking :-(

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2010, 11:06 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horrible, horrible clunking :-(

Hey guys,

i have developed an annoying clunk coming from the rear passenger side.
the noise is kind of like a juddering/rumbling/knocking, it only occurs when i accelerate, change gear and go over bumps in the road (in bristol thats rather often!)

this noise has occured since i have replace both rear discs, shoes and pads few weeks ago. i have rebuilt the brakes 3 times over the past 2 weeks too make sure that everything is setting right and its pukka.

i have made sure that there are no rub marks on the dust cover from the disc, i have re-torqued up the hub nut on the offending side to no avail!
i have also greased and checked all joints for play and can't notice anything blinding obvious.

what an earth is wrong with her???

any help in the right direction much appreciated!
Old 20 July 2010, 12:06 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

have you checked your shock absorber for leaks the rear passenger one is bad for it do a search plenty have had the same problem including me
Old 20 July 2010, 09:41 AM
newman90
Scooby Regular

that sounds like the shock absorber / top mount mate. give it a once over. clean it up and then check it after a drive for any leaks etc
Old 20 July 2010, 10:31 AM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

I checked the shocker itself, but have not checked the top mount. What's the best way too check the top mount on a 99 impreza wagon?
I'm just baffled as it's all started since I hammered the rear brake discs off.

Cheers
Old 20 July 2010, 10:59 AM
newman90
Scooby Regular

im guessing the easiest way would be to take the sus arm off. if you was hammering hard might be worth checking your wheel bearing
Old 20 July 2010, 02:09 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Mmmm confused, isn't it just a case of looking at the top of the strut in the boot?
Iv already checked wheel bearing condition with the ok 9 and 3 method and was no play at all :-s
Old 20 July 2010, 02:09 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Mmmm confused, isn't it just a case of looking at the top of the strut in the boot?
Iv already checked wheel bearing condition with the ok 9 and 3 method and was no play at all :-s
Old 20 July 2010, 02:40 PM
newman90
Scooby Regular

well you can do that but it will be hard to completely inspect the whole strut while its on the car. if the bolts arent seized it shouldnt take you long to rip it off.
Old 20 July 2010, 07:11 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Ok will have a go, is here anyway that I could of knocked the arb through the bushes a tad and that could be the problem?
Old 22 July 2010, 09:13 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Right guys, I have had enough of this bloody car!!
I have checked the strut top mount and there is definately no problem with that. I have rechecked the shock absorber and it is fine, I have checked all bushes for play again and they are fine. I have had someone (heavy!!) bounce up and down in the boot whilst I was underneath the car and could not hear any noise which resembled what I am hearing in the car whilst I am driving.
The noise is gradually getting worse still, it occurs whilst I am driving over bumps, even very slight bumps. When changing gear, and when I lift off the throttle.
I am convinced that the sound is not suspension related.
Is it recommended to change the droplinks and arbs and see if that cures the problem as I was planning on changing these soon (not this soon though!)

If anybody can share any light on this I would very much appreciate it
Old 22 July 2010, 09:14 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Ps the sound is more of a knocking/rattle
Old 22 July 2010, 09:17 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sp00ks
Right guys, I have had enough of this bloody car!!
I have checked the strut top mount and there is definately no problem with that. I have rechecked the shock absorber and it is fine, I have checked all bushes for play again and they are fine. I have had someone (heavy!!) bounce up and down in the boot whilst I was underneath the car and could not hear any noise which resembled what I am hearing in the car whilst I am driving.
The noise is gradually getting worse still, it occurs whilst I am driving over bumps, even very slight bumps. When changing gear, and when I lift off the throttle.
I am convinced that the sound is not suspension related.
Is it recommended to change the droplinks and arbs and see if that cures the problem as I was planning on changing these soon (not this soon though!)

If anybody can share any light on this I would very much appreciate it
even some one really heavy doesnt put the same amount of load and the speed of the load that the car does whilst moving,and also there is no way of visually checking shock absorbers mate but from what your saying it sounds very much like the shock as ive seen this loads of times with the same symtoms.
Old 22 July 2010, 09:36 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Ok chap, thanks. Is it likely that this would of happened from hitting the brake discs off several weeks ago. Because that is where this has all stemmed from....?
Thanks
Old 22 July 2010, 09:39 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Ok chap, thanks. Is it likely that this would of happened from hitting the brake discs off several weeks ago. Because that is where this has all stemmed from....?
Thanks
possibly mate but could also be coincidentle,it can come on though when a car gets full extension on the shock whilst suspended abit like when you bleed brakes and the master cylinder goes cause its never been pushed through a full stroke and it buggers the seals.
Old 22 July 2010, 09:51 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

So I guess next option is too get coilovers asap and see if this cures the problem? Whats the best way to make sure its the shock before I replace it with coilovers possibly unnecessary?
Thanks
Old 22 July 2010, 09:55 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

So I guess next option is too get coilovers asap and see if this cures the problem? Whats the best way to make sure its the shock before I replace it with coilovers possibly unnecessary?
Thanks
i know its a pain but you need to pull it off and get the spring of it and feel the tension it has when compressed and how much rebound is on it,should feel quite strong in both directions mate.
Old 22 July 2010, 10:56 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

The rear diffs can clunk sometimes can't they?
Old 22 July 2010, 11:01 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tim(e)
The rear diffs can clunk sometimes can't they?
sometimes but this can be identified by pry barring the diff and looking at the bushes mate
Old 22 July 2010, 11:13 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Ok so what other checks do you recommend? Before I take the strut off? Which I'm reluctant too do as I don't have a spring compressor.
Thanks tim, any guidance on dif knocking?
Thanks
Old 22 July 2010, 11:15 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

dont quote me but think the top mount is more common to fail on classics than shocks,had two classics and both of them i had topmount troubles.then i get a newage sti and end up having to replace all the shocks for coilovers,firstly i would identify the problem as nothing worse than spending money on your scooby and problem still there,good luck anyways mate.
Old 22 July 2010, 11:17 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Ok so what other checks do you recommend? Before I take the strut off? Which I'm reluctant too do as I don't have a spring compressor.
Thanks tim, any guidance on dif knocking?
Thanks
if it was me id go round all the bushes etc again but in the road position ie not jacked up as when the suspension is fully extended it loads the bushes and takes out the play so do that and pm me back if you like and we can go from there mate.
Old 22 July 2010, 11:49 PM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

seems to me like your endlink is loose/broken.

i had that a while ago in the front, symptoms are exactly as you described.
Old 23 July 2010, 12:01 AM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Diso, what are you referring too as the end link? are you referring too the drop links?
Cheers
Old 23 July 2010, 12:26 AM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

my terminology may be wrong, but that little piece of plastic between the roll/swaybar and the suspension.

My lower front nut was loose by around 1/4 turn, the clonking was driving me insane, and it was really hard to place, as sometimes it sounded like it was coming from the back.

once i took all the wheels off and had it jacked up, i tried all the endlinks, and the front right one moved up and down a whole lot. Tightened it, and bobs your uncle, problem solved.

Yours might possibly be as simple.
Old 23 July 2010, 11:06 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

right guys thanks for replies, i have had some further investigations....
i have re-checked once again all bushes on the arb and drop links, and one of the bushes on the droplink too the opposite side that i am hearing the noise from is slightly worn... is this possibly the root of all problems?
im getting sick of this now!
is there anybody near too the bristol/gloucester area that you could reccomend too me, to get to have a quick look. or even better if there are any members on here who would be more than willing too take a quick shifty?
many thanks (sorry for being a bumbling pain!)
Old 23 July 2010, 11:08 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

right guys thanks for replies, i have had some further investigations....
i have re-checked once again all bushes on the arb and drop links, and one of the bushes on the droplink too the opposite side that i am hearing the noise from is slightly worn... is this possibly the root of all problems?
im getting sick of this now!
is there anybody near too the bristol/gloucester area that you could reccomend too me, to get to have a quick look. or even better if there are any members on here who would be more than willing too take a quick shifty?
many thanks (sorry for being a bumbling pain!)
how do you mean by slightly worn mate?
Old 23 July 2010, 11:59 PM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Well there is anfsir bit if play in the bush, not side too side but more of a moving around motion. Just weird that its on the opposite side that I am hearing knocking from :-s am thinking of getting some new droplinks and arb from powerstation tomorrow and just hoping for the best! Big 200 quid punt though lol.... Any advice?
Old 24 July 2010, 12:04 AM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Well there is anfsir bit if play in the bush, not side too side but more of a moving around motion. Just weird that its on the opposite side that I am hearing knocking from :-s am thinking of getting some new droplinks and arb from powerstation tomorrow and just hoping for the best! Big 200 quid punt though lol.... Any advice?
im still more tilted toward the shocks as if it was the arb drop links then there would be quite obvious signs of wear and by the sounds of it there isnt enough to cause the knock you've got mate.
Old 24 July 2010, 12:29 AM
sp00ks
Scooby Regular

Ok, anybody you can recommend to replace shocks with bc's or similar close too Bristol area?
Old 25 July 2010, 07:39 PM
RS_Matt
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My car is only 7 years old and I'm on my 3rd shock absorber, why the hell won't Subaru do a recall?

Quick Reply: horrible, horrible clunking :-(