overheating

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2010, 12:27 AM
p.rite.sh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

Hi,

I have a hawkeye sti and have noticed when i was driving to london that it was fine on the motorway, but as i hit the city and traffic the needle stated rising, fast.

It got to H. and when i checked the radiator fluid, it was black...and looked like it had a tiny spec of oil in it - as though it had a hint of wd40 in it or something.

Any ideas - am new to scoobs...
Thanks

Pritesh
Old 25 March 2010, 12:40 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

that dont sound good mate, seeif there any mayonaise in your oil filler cap and neck.
also check oil level, the obvious thing that you probably dont want to hear is its the headgasket gone.
as it been losing oil or water for a while, they do tend to go slowly
headgaskets can go in all different ways, sometimes they leak oil into the water and visa versa or they can just leak from water ways to cylinders which result in the water system being pressurised - if the latter happens it will blow white smoke and bubbles will appear in the expansion tank.

there can be other causes of overheating - did your fans cut in btw, if they did and still getting hot plus youve got black coolant does point to hg though
Old 25 March 2010, 12:45 AM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

Over heating and oil in water normally means head gasket has gone!! Is the car using water?? Take the spark plugs out they all should be kinda a grey in colour if one looks more orange it's deffo the gaskets !!
Craig

P.s Not been on the site for long but been a car mechanic for 25 years and I'm on my second WRX headset this week

Last edited by intergrale4x4; 25 March 2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 25 March 2010, 01:25 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not good news but let me guess, 2.5ltr MY06 car?

Tony
Old 25 March 2010, 06:48 AM
p.rite.sh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
that dont sound good mate, seeif there any mayonaise in your oil filler cap and neck.
also check oil level, the obvious thing that you probably dont want to hear is its the headgasket gone.
as it been losing oil or water for a while, they do tend to go slowly
headgaskets can go in all different ways, sometimes they leak oil into the water and visa versa or they can just leak from water ways to cylinders which result in the water system being pressurised - if the latter happens it will blow white smoke and bubbles will appear in the expansion tank.

there can be other causes of overheating - did your fans cut in btw, if they did and still getting hot plus youve got black coolant does point to hg though
there isnt any mayonaise stuff in the cap and nexk...and hasnt lost any water...it did lose a lot of oil though. fans seem to be running at full speed.

Originally Posted by intergrale4x4
Over heating and oil in water normally means head gasket has gone!! Is the car using water?? Take the spark plugs out they all should be kinda a grey in colour if one looks more orange it's deffo the gaskets !!
Craig

P.s Not been on the site for long but been a car mechanic for 25 years and I'm on my second WRX headset this week
thanks mate not looking forward to this, just had the car 2 weeks from a scoob dealership

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Not good news but let me guess, 2.5ltr MY06 car?

Tony
yep, thats the one - is it a comon fault?

thanks
Old 25 March 2010, 08:38 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does happen quite often. A HG plus possible ringland damage sounds like you could have the full house of what gets reported on a 2.5.
Sounds like you'll have a warranty for it though? Get it recovered back to the dealer.

It will be worth your while paying for some forged pistons to be dropped in during the warranty rebuild.
Old 25 March 2010, 10:00 AM
p.rite.sh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
It does happen quite often. A HG plus possible ringland damage sounds like you could have the full house of what gets reported on a 2.5.
Sounds like you'll have a warranty for it though? Get it recovered back to the dealer.

It will be worth your while paying for some forged pistons to be dropped in during the warranty rebuild.
Ah I see

I might drive it in at a snail pace as the dealer isnt far at all - its going in today...whats will the forged pistons do? Sorry, I am new to scoobs

Thanks
Old 25 March 2010, 10:10 AM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Sounds very much like head gasket to me, had the same problem with my 06 Plate STI. Worth getting some upgrated head gaskets fitted when they are replaced - cosworth or similar.

But it's an engine out job I'm afraid....
Old 25 March 2010, 01:26 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

dont let the garage fob you off mate cos if its a scooby dealership they have probably seen this many times and will try to say it was your fault

forged pistons basically are stronger, the ones in the 2.5s are made of putty or chocolate so it seems, should then be more reliable and able to take more power in the future same with uprated hgs.

good luck mate
Old 25 March 2010, 01:40 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Just FYI the internals of the 2.5 engine in standard form are good for up to about 400bhp. It's true the head gasket is a known problem on the earlier Hawkeyes, but I've seen very few posts noting issues with pistons or engine internals - sure there are 1 or 2 but it's not a common issue by any means.

As noted get them to check for head gasket failure - sniff teast in the engine coolant is a give away (not always 100% accurate), and then get the job done under warranty. But purchase some uprated head gaskets (cost about £60 each and you'll need 2) and get those fitted at the same time.
Old 25 March 2010, 08:02 PM
p.rite.sh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stedee
dont let the garage fob you off mate cos if its a scooby dealership they have probably seen this many times and will try to say it was your fault

forged pistons basically are stronger, the ones in the 2.5s are made of putty or chocolate so it seems, should then be more reliable and able to take more power in the future same with uprated hgs.

good luck mate
Originally Posted by STI Mav
Just FYI the internals of the 2.5 engine in standard form are good for up to about 400bhp. It's true the head gasket is a known problem on the earlier Hawkeyes, but I've seen very few posts noting issues with pistons or engine internals - sure there are 1 or 2 but it's not a common issue by any means.

As noted get them to check for head gasket failure - sniff teast in the engine coolant is a give away (not always 100% accurate), and then get the job done under warranty. But purchase some uprated head gaskets (cost about £60 each and you'll need 2) and get those fitted at the same time.

Ok, thanks for that - do you know where I can get uprated pistons & headgaskets - would that then allow me to take the car to a much quickerlevel without compromising strength?

Thanks in advance for you advice
Old 25 March 2010, 10:48 PM
STI Mav
Scooby Regular

Your talking about doing 2 very different jobs here. Headgasket is a "relatively" simple job once the engine is out, and doesn't require any major work. Most garages would charge you somehwere between £800 and £1500 to do this job.

If you move into doing pistons your basically pulling the bottom block apart and doing an engine rebuild - cost of doing that sort of job is circa £2500-£3000.

If you headgasket has gone that's what you need to worry about - getting that replaced and sorted, pistons should be of no real concern.

In terms of picking up some uprated headgaskets, try here - Cosworth 0.7mm High Performance Head Gasket Subaru WRX STI EJ25 (2.5L) | Sumo Power | Cosworth | The UK's Number 1 for japanese performance parts

You will need to speak to the garage to see if they are having the heads skimmed and if so by how much. If it's a simple light skim 0.7mm will do, anything more than a light skim and you should go for something slightly thicker.
Old 25 March 2010, 11:23 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI Mav
Your talking about doing 2 very different jobs here. Headgasket is a "relatively" simple job once the engine is out, and doesn't require any major work. Most garages would charge you somehwere between £800 and £1500 to do this job.

If you move into doing pistons your basically pulling the bottom block apart and doing an engine rebuild - cost of doing that sort of job is circa £2500-£3000.

If you headgasket has gone that's what you need to worry about - getting that replaced and sorted, pistons should be of no real concern.

In terms of picking up some uprated headgaskets, try here - Cosworth 0.7mm High Performance Head Gasket Subaru WRX STI EJ25 (2.5L) | Sumo Power | Cosworth | The UK's Number 1 for japanese performance parts

You will need to speak to the garage to see if they are having the heads skimmed and if so by how much. If it's a simple light skim 0.7mm will do, anything more than a light skim and you should go for something slightly thicker.
The shocking fact is these are less expensive than the last pair I bought from Subaru direct