Notices

firing on 2 99 uk turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2010, 04:18 PM
bigtazzsi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default firing on 2 99 uk turbo

hiya my coilpack is only sending spark to 2 numbers 3 and 4. numbers 1 and 2 are receiveng no spark, i have changed the coilpack but it stil does the same, also after driving the car the exhaust tip begins to glow bright red somebody please help!!!
Old 12 January 2010, 04:47 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

is this the type with coil pack onto op the inlet manifold, what can happen si the fuel will ignite in exhaust causing it to glow, iv had a subaru glowing red, got pic if u want me 2 post it. was it a new coil pack, are the leads all ok, have u tried resetting the ecu?
Old 12 January 2010, 04:49 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mje_wrx
is this the type with coil pack onto op the inlet manifold, what can happen si the fuel will ignite in exhaust causing it to glow, iv had a subaru glowing red, got pic if u want me 2 post it. was it a new coil pack, are the leads all ok, have u tried resetting the ecu?
Old 12 January 2010, 05:16 PM
bigtazzsi
Scooby Regular

hiya yes thats exactly what it looked like!! i have replaced the coilpack with another but its still the same! i have not tried the plyugs or leads yet as there is no power coming out of the pack so i assumed it wouldnt be the leads or plugs also how do i reset the ecu?? it happened when i went to launch off the car jus felt as if it stalled when i relesed the clutch and ran like this since
Old 12 January 2010, 05:26 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

any cel lights? have a look here. www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk all infor on reset ecu and how read codes etc.
Old 12 January 2010, 06:23 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigtazzsi
hiya my coilpack is only sending spark to 2 numbers 3 and 4. numbers 1 and 2 are receiveng no spark, i have changed the coilpack but it stil does the same, also after driving the car the exhaust tip begins to glow bright red somebody please help!!!
As has been said, is the check engine light staying on while the engine is running?

On a 99-00 the coilpack contains the igniter and coils, which makes things like this relatively easy to troubleshoot. If you are not getting spark on the front pair of cylinders and you are absolutely 100% sure that the second pack you've tried is good, there aren't very many remaining possible explanations.

Under these circumstances it's pretty much down either to a wiring break between the coilpack and the ECU, or a blown ignition preamp in the ECU itself.

The wiring fault would probably be the likeliest explanation. If you're competent with electrics you can continuity test the loom yourself - the pin configuration of both ends of it should be available via Slipstream_UK's manuals thread.

If you can't test yourself, you could run a process of elimination by getting hold of a spare ECU and dropping that in. If it magically fixes the problem, you know what it was. However, it'd be better to get the loom tested if you possibly can, just in case something's shorting (and thus any "spare" control unit you try will immediately go the same way).
Old 12 January 2010, 06:50 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

blimey that is hot isn't it.
Old 12 January 2010, 06:54 PM
mje_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
blimey that is hot isn't it.
the guy whos car it was, was wondering why he was boiling hot in car, his seat etc, lol. mmm wonder why lol
Old 12 January 2010, 07:24 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

the guy whos car it was, was wondering why he was boiling hot in car, his seat etc, lol. mmm wonder why lol
boiling hot,its a wonder he didn't set on fire.
Old 13 January 2010, 05:15 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

Read what splitpin wrote....wiring (most likely) or ECU.

Simon
Old 13 January 2010, 12:52 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if that glow in the dark pipework would go well with me neons and go faster stripes