Notices

vibration in steering column after uppipe install

Search this Thread

Old 27 December 2009, 01:28 PM
freakin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration in steering column after uppipe install

only for a short duration under acceleration. Could i have knocked something out or damaged something during the install, anything i can check ?
Old 27 December 2009, 01:43 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's happening is the upper knuckle of your steering arm linkage is vibrating on the downpipe every time your engine rocks under acceleration. Mine does it too. The only way forward is to fit the Group N Engine and gearbox mounts together with the uprated pitch stabilser bar (dogbone). You must have a 3" downpipe as i've never hear of a 2.5" pipe touching the steering arm knuckle.

Otherwise you will have to slightly alter the turbo mount/brackets so it moves the turbo about 1cm closer to the engine. That keeps the downpipe far enough away from the steering arm knuckle but it's a load of hasslea nd you have to bend the uppipe slightly too to allow the whole thing to move over.

Replace the engine mounts and all that should stop.

Last edited by scoobiewrx555; 27 December 2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 27 December 2009, 02:05 PM
freakin
Scooby Regular

its a standard STI uppipe with heat shields, looks the same as the wrx one i took out.
Old 27 December 2009, 04:51 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

I'm not talking about your uppipe, i'm talking about the downpipe. I presume you have an aftermarket downpipe, either decat or sports catted, i.e. Stainless Steel downpipe, that's actually bigger than the std effort.

If you don't have an aftermarket downpipe and you're still running the std one then your engine mounts are shot and need replacing asap.
Old 27 December 2009, 04:56 PM
milliemoo
Scooby Regular

555 would a new dogbone help with the rocking or would all mounts be shot?(my strutbrace knocks a little on intercooler)
Old 27 December 2009, 08:38 PM
freakin
Scooby Regular

sorry scoobiewrx555 i misread your post, i do have an aftermarket dp but its has not been a problem before until i changed the up pipe so don't think it is this. Could the mounts have suffered damage through the install of the uppipe?
Old 27 December 2009, 11:37 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

No, not at all as they don't have to be touched to do the uppipe.

What happens sometimes is when the turbo is disturbed it can move on the bracket slightly and twist just a fraction. That may be enough to just throw things out a bit, enough to move the turbo and downpipe away from the engine enough to bring the neck of the uppipe closer to the steering linkage knuckle. It's not uncommon on scoobs and generally sorting out the std mounts for uprated ones does the trick. On the odd occasion you have to alter the braket slightly too but it is easily done.
Old 27 December 2009, 11:41 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milliemoo
555 would a new dogbone help with the rocking or would all mounts be shot?(my strutbrace knocks a little on intercooler)
To help with the rocking uprated engine mounts need to be fitted. Due to the AWD system you get a lot of pitching as well so by fitting an uprated gearbox mount and pitch stabiliser all that stops and the engine remains rock soild and doesn't move.

This way all the engine power is used to move the car and not put into rocking the engine. You get some bhp at the wheels lost due to excessive engine and gearbox movement.

Do all the mounts at the same time.