Notices

Mapping on 98 Uk Turbo 2000... options?

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2009, 05:12 PM
Eternal Rage
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mapping on 98 Uk Turbo 2000... options?

Hiya Guys

I know the MY98 UK cars cant be re-mapped in the normal sense but i wondered what my options were for getting more reliable power out of it.

Just to set the scene for where my car is at now: All breathing mods are done, Air filter, headers & up-pipe, de-cat downpipe, full stainless exhaust, boost on a MBC at 1 Bar. STi Top Mount coming soon.

Next mods i'm looking at if i can get mapping issues sorted are TD-05 18g, walbro, and injectors if needed. But i dont want to take these steps on standard mapping, cant see the point.

I know very little about this, so apologise if i'm miles off reality with these three options:

-Can an aftermarket ECU be purchased, such as Gems, and do it that way? Would the new ECU then still need mapping to work? Not a cheap option i imagine £1200+

-What is ESL mapping and can it be applied to the 98 model? Decent gains to be had over a Manual Boost controller? Seen ESL mapping about £700?

-Can i get around the problem entirely with an AVCR or similar? Cheapest option, about £400, but I imagine not straight forward to set up.

The car has been modded on a shoe-string budget, and i cant see that changing anytime soon, so the cheaper the better for me.

So basically, what are my options guys?
Thanks for your help and advise.
Rage
Old 22 September 2009, 07:51 PM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

the best man to speak to is simon @ www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk
he will be able to give you prices and any info and advice you will need
Old 22 September 2009, 08:28 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

only 1 option with a 98 v4 model and thats a new ecu i'm afraid. no esl for your car.

prices vary but the cheapest option would probably be a apexi.

depending how far you want to go you might want to consider ditching the maf which will make your ecu choice different.

as above contact simon jgm and have a look on his website.

if your wanting new you won't get much change out of £1k

one bit of advice if you decide to upgrade the car, make sure you get everything you want before paying for a ecu and map then you won't have to remap the car evertime you add something different.

it's expensive to do but money can't buy the smile on your face you will have when you drive it home after !
Old 22 September 2009, 08:29 PM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

MY 98 needs a new ECU to get the best out of it. Im running an Apexi PFC which is at the cheaper end of the price range I think but does everything you need it to. All the other ones have a few more toys for example launch control, and anti lag, but decide about whether your going to use the toys and you`ll pick the one you need.

AVCR from what I know of it will work best when mapped with an ECU. Not sure if it will work on it own however

I also modded my car on a budget and have got the basics, majority being what you have done and are planning to do, which has made for a nice quick car that I like

Oh yeah, and dont bother with the STI mount, your not going to see any massive gain over the one you already have. Plus the money you spend on it could be put to better use.

Definatly speak to some of the tuners on here though. As mentioned by cookie sti.

In no particular order: -

Simon - JGM, Andy Forrest, Paul Blamire -Zen Performance are a few. I had my work done at Zen, but take your pick and they`ll point you in the right direction
Old 22 September 2009, 10:49 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Mine is running a LINK ecu mapped by Bob Rawle at BRD. It's making around 300bhp.

BUT: it's just destroyed it's big end bearings due to NOT having it's map tweaked when the heads were skimmed after a headgasket failure, plus heatsoak.

If/when it gets rebuilt it'll get an FMIC and a stronger bottom end.
Old 23 September 2009, 10:52 PM
gpfwestie
Scooby Newbie

I have the same problem.

Why are the options so expensive ? when I built my Westfield, I was shocked at the price of the MBE ECU (£400) from SBD, As there are plenty cheaper ones - DTE, GEMS, Mega Squirt, Emerald.

The options you are talking about here are close to Motec money.

Is there any reason something like a Mega Squirt (Under £200 new) hasn't been used before ?
Old 24 September 2009, 12:58 AM
Eternal Rage
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your info guys. Kind of confirmed what i didnt want to hear, lol

Been looking at Apexi Power FC's and it does look like the best of the bunch all things considered, cost being a big factor. Power FC, Commander Unit and Fitting/Mapping is as mentioned about £900, i just cant seem me getting the benefit from that much cash

One of my mates uses Mega Squirt on his car, hadnt even considered that as an option, i dont know an awful lot about it, but from what i know, it seems feasable at least.

If i wanted to Pikey it, could i get away with a TD-05 16g on the standard mapping as the boost characteristics are similar?
Old 24 September 2009, 12:35 PM
Adam K
Scooby Regular

Nobody would recommend upgrading the turbo and not mapping the car!
*IMO* a Td05-16 is about the strongest pulling turbo you should consider on standard internals (alternatives being Andy Forrest Td04 hybrid, vf- pretty much anything except 22 and still being single scroll)
You will need bigger injectors or (if your staying close to 300bhp) adjustable fpr.
There are some interceptor type ecus, like Apexi safr or unichip, they might save you a pound or two, atleast in the begining. But in the end you can't do these kinds of mods on a budget.
Old 24 September 2009, 07:03 PM
gpfwestie
Scooby Newbie

You could use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator to increases the pressure to the fuel rail in proportion to the boost.

I wouldn't do it myself though.
Old 24 September 2009, 07:29 PM
Neil XR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am also running a link on my v4 terzo about 275bhp mapped by andyf

walbro pump, sti intercooler and half a decat as kept the orgninal downpipe cat in