Petrol flap not working?

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2009, 09:20 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol flap not working?

Hi,
You may have seen some of my other posts, I have bought a troublesome secondhand wagon, 98 non turbo - it's a good fixer upper but lots of niggly problems. This one is about the petrol flap, when you pull the lever in the cabin the white pin next to the fuel cap retracts and I assume the cover is meant to be spring loaded, but it doesn't pop out. But you can prise it out with a key. Watch that paint! I greased the pin and it works well and does retract when you pull the lever, but I can't actually see what drives the flap to pop out? There is a grey plastic wedge which I've also greased, which I assume presses against the pin. Try as I might I can't see why it won't pop out. This is so annoying and makes the car look like a total wreck when I pull up at the garage. Or perhaps it's just me.

Please help, this must be such a simple fix!
Old 08 September 2009, 09:41 PM
esp ltd
Scooby Regular

There should be a small stainless spring on the gray plastic bit that'll push the flap open
Old 11 September 2009, 03:23 PM
benspray
Scooby Regular

Got any pics of thespring mate and how it attaches etc, I have this exact same issue with my type r, I have to wedge my alarm fob in the fuel release lever to keep it open and then get out of the car and try to grab the edges of the flap and pry it open.

Cheers
Ben
Old 09 October 2009, 01:29 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

Got the spring from the scrapyard and it works great. It's just a vee-shaped strip of steel which connects to a grey plastic block. The grey block then pushes onto the inside of the flap. My grey block had cracked so I glued it onto the spring securely with epoxy! 5 minute job.
Old 09 October 2009, 01:33 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

By the way before I fitted the new spring a quick pull of the lever (or sometimes not at all) was all it took. Then I could get my key in to prise it gently open. You don't have to wedge the lever up.
Old 10 December 2009, 10:24 PM
cam190679
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem. Scrap yard here i come
Old 29 September 2010, 10:24 AM
ollyit
Scooby Regular

I have this fault, most anooying at the petrol station when theres a queue! any pics if the fix you guys have done at all please or at the least the spring please guys - thanks
Old 29 September 2010, 12:48 PM
Slystav
Scooby Regular

sorry no pics available at the mo but if you open the fuel cover you will see a body coloured steel bracket coming out of the flap facing towards the car. On the bracket there should be a grey plastic block and on the grey block there is the spring. It's roughly a 10mm x 0.5mm thick strip of spring steel bent to a vee and it sticks out of the grey block. The idea is when you close the flap it compresses the vee and then pushes it open when you pull the lever. If you go to a scrapyard you should be able to get one for almost nothing.