Notices

My Turbo seem to have packed up

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2009, 04:10 PM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Turbo seem to have packed up

is this likely to be just a split hose or something more serious? The car has done around 80K, if that helps.
Old 24 August 2009, 05:44 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

It could be Al Qaeda for all you've told us. The mileage doesn't help much. A full and exact description of the symptoms would give us a slightly better chance.
Old 24 August 2009, 06:49 PM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

Sorry Splitpin. It started with what I assumed to be a plug not firing under load, the plugs are due to be changed next service, then I noticed that the turbo was not cutting in at 2500 revs or it was acting intermitantly. This has been going on for a while now and I have also had to top up the engine oil - so it is using some though it has never done so before. That's about it really. Does it help to identify the problem?
Old 24 August 2009, 11:39 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

sound more ov a air mass meter gone faulty,
Old 25 August 2009, 01:00 AM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fiasco
Sorry Splitpin. It started with what I assumed to be a plug not firing under load, the plugs are due to be changed next service, then I noticed that the turbo was not cutting in at 2500 revs or it was acting intermitantly. This has been going on for a while now and I have also had to top up the engine oil - so it is using some though it has never done so before. That's about it really. Does it help to identify the problem?
That adds a bit of info but given the range of potential causes it'd be pushing it to try and guess accurately. As SRM suggests, the airflow meter is one possibility, but there are so many others.

Could well be that the necessity to add a bit of oil (how much did you add, btw?) and the other issues aren't directly related to each other.

Incidentally, and just pulling something out of the air. Did the issues you're noticing with the turbo start before or after you added oil? If it was after, there's a fairly obvious potential link.

If not, however, the next obvious question to ask is when is that service due? Also, what type and model year is your car, and are there any other indications - check engine light on at all, for instance?
Old 25 August 2009, 09:28 AM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

The car is 2000 model wagon I have had from new. Trouble started before addition of oil. Check engine light came on briefly perhaps 300 miles after top up of oil. Next service is due now, which is why I would like some idea of what is happening, not sure that I trust the service centre to do this right first time.
Old 25 August 2009, 05:39 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

If the CEL came on, put it in Read Memory mode (black connectors, turn ignition on) and count the light flashes. It'll tell you which error code(s) are stored. Tell us what the numbers are and we'll be able to point you in the right direction.

As for "trusting the service centre", if you suspect there's something up with the car, don't trust it to random man with spanner, take it to somewhere that actually knows these cars and get them to diagnose it properly.
Old 26 August 2009, 07:27 PM
Fiasco
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your help Splitpin. I think your advice is sound - so I've booked it in.