Notices

What oil ??

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2009, 04:54 PM
btwellz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil ??

What oil for my 2004 sti 31k on the clock ?

Ben
Old 26 March 2009, 05:59 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

5w-40w fully synthetic will do every thing you need.
Have you tried Opie Oils on the web, good site with good discounts !
Old 26 March 2009, 06:22 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Subaru recommends 10W-40 Semi

Though I did put 5W-40 in over the winter as I do mainly short journeys .... I would not go 5W through the summer.

You can get the required Spec Oil for around £12 for 5 Litres.
Old 26 March 2009, 06:58 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

as above a 10w-40semi will do the job nicely!
Old 27 March 2009, 06:12 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

10W40 tescos 4litres semi £15

Also motor shack is £20.
Old 27 March 2009, 06:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
5w-40w fully synthetic will do every thing you need.
Have you tried Opie Oils on the web, good site with good discounts !
Agree, or a 10w40, if you look at the group buy section opie oils have Motul (probably the best oil you can buy ) up for buy 2 x 2ltrs and get 1 x 2ltrs free, pretty good offer on the fully synth stuff

Tony
Old 27 March 2009, 10:14 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

This is what I use regularly:-

http://www.theoilman.co.uk/images/uploads/xtr10_40.jpg

If you know where to look it is £12 for the 5 Litres - I really don't think you can do better.
Old 28 March 2009, 01:55 AM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fuchs XTR 10w-40 is a good semi-synthetic, but you can do better.

A 5w-40 will give better cold start protection as it's thinner when cold, so it flows quicker on start up, but is still the same viscosity as a 10w-40 when hot. A fully synthetic oil is better at lubricating than a semi-synthetic as well as dealing with high temperatures more easily and they last longer. We have found our most popular oils for Imprezas are the Motul 300V that Tony mentioned (and that is a good deal we have on this weekend) and the Silkolene Pro S 5w-40. The Motul 8100 X-Cess is also very popular as a cheaper choice.

It really comes down to what you want to spend, but saving a tenner on oil can cost a whole lot more in engine damage
Old 28 March 2009, 02:22 AM
Plastikman
Scooby Regular

Hmm 5/40 or 10/40 Hmmmmmm or even 10/60 ? Which one!! Up here in the north of Scotchland we get lots of cold starts even in summer it can be cold starts?
Old 28 March 2009, 04:14 AM
Sc0oby
Scooby Regular

how about 5w50?
Old 28 March 2009, 05:46 AM
mcbainna
Scooby Newbie

Default oil

the oilman recommended i use 5w40 so ive been using Silkolene PRO S for a couple of years now so its a from me and im in subarctic NE Scotland
Old 28 March 2009, 10:07 AM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oilman
The Fuchs XTR 10w-40 is a good semi-synthetic, but you can do better.

It really comes down to what you want to spend, but saving a tenner on oil can cost a whole lot more in engine damage
You sell the Fuchs XTR 10w-40 .... so, therefore, I assume you know that it will not cause engine damage if it is used?

OR are you saying that this Oil WILL cause Engine damage?
Old 28 March 2009, 12:03 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

10w40 semi for me every time. halfords own. never had a problem with it.
Old 28 March 2009, 12:08 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

No it will not literally damage you engine if you put it in.

It will need changing more frequently and being a semi-synthetic, like all semis has it's limitations with modified or high performance cars.

Semis DO NOT perform as well as fully-synthetics, they are cheaper and not really designed for hard use.

It's complex but the reasons are chemical......................

The basic benefits are as follows:

Extended oil drain periods
Better wear protection and therefore extended engine life
Most synthetics give better MPG
They flow better when cold and are more thermally stable when hot
Esters are surface-active meaning a thin layer of oil on the surfaces at all times

If you want to know the reasons why then please read on but, warning - Long Post!

Stable Basestocks

Synthetic oils are designed from pure, uniform synthetic basestocks, they contain no contaminants or unstable molecules which are prone to thermal and oxidative break down.
Because of their uniform molecular structure, synthetic lubricants operate with less internal and external friction than petroleum oils which have a non-uniform molecular structure.
The result is better heat control, and less heat means less stress to the lubricant.

Higher Percentage of Basestock

Synthetic oils contain a higher percentage of lubricant basestock than petroleum oils do.
This is because multi-viscosity oils need a great deal of pour point depressant and viscosity improvers to operate as a multigrade.
The basestocks actually do most of the lubricating. More basestocks mean a longer oil life.

Additives Used Up More Slowly

Petroleum basestocks are much more prone to oxidation than synthetic oils. Oxidation inhibitors are needed in greater quantities in petroleum oils as they are used up more quickly.
Synthetic oils do oxidize, but at a much slower rate therefore, oxidation inhibiting additives are used up more slowly.

Synthetic oils provide for better ring seal than petroleum oils do. This minimizes blow-by and reduces contamination by combustion by-products. As a result, corrosion inhibiting additives have less work to do and will last much longer in a synthetic oil.

Excellent Heat Tolerance

Synthetics are simply more tolerant to extreme heat than petroleum oils are. When heat builds up within an engine, petroleum oils quickly begin to burn off. They are more volatile. The lighter molecules within petroleum oils turn to gas and what's left are the large molecules that are harder to pump.

Synthetics have far more resistance as they are more thermally stable to begin with and can take higher temperatures for longer periods without losing viscosity.

Heat Reduction

One of the major factors affecting engine life is component wear and/or failure, which is often the result of high temperature operation. The uniformly smooth molecular structure of synthetic oils gives them a much lower coefficient friction (they slip more easily over one another causing less friction) than petroleum oils.
Less friction means less heat and heat is a major contributor to engine component wear and failure, synthetic oils significantly reduce these two detrimental effects.
Since each molecule in a synthetic oil is of uniform size, each is equally likely to touch a component surface at any given time, thus moving a certain amount of heat into the oil stream and away from the component. This makes synthetic oils far superior heat transfer agents than conventional petroleum oils.

Greater Film Strength

Petroleum motor oils have very low film strength in comparison to synthetics. The film strength of a lubricant refers to it's ability to maintain a film of lubricant between two objects when extreme pressure and heat are applied.
Synthetic oils will typically have a film strength of 5 to 10 times higher than petroleum oils of comparable viscosity.
Even though heavier weight oils typically have higher film strength than lighter weight oils, an sae 30 or 40 synthetic will typically have a higher film strength than an sae 50 or sae 60 petroleum oil.

A lighter grade synthetic can still maintain proper lubricity and reduce the chance of metal to metal contact. This means that you can use oils that provide far better fuel efficiency and cold weather protection without sacrificing engine protection under high temperature, high load conditions. Obviously, this is a big plus, because you can greatly reduce both cold temperature start-up wear and high temperature/high load engine wear using a low viscosity oil.

Engine Deposit Reduction

Petroleum oils tend to leave sludge, varnish and deposits behind after thermal and oxidative break down. They're better than they used to be, but it still occurs.
Deposit build-up leads to a significant reduction in engine performance and engine life as well as increasing the chance of costly repairs.
Synthetic oils have far superior thermal and oxidative stability and they leave engines virtually varnish, deposit and sludge-free.

Better Cold Temperature Fluidity

Synthetic oils do not contain the paraffins or other waxes which dramatically thicken petroleum oils during cold weather. As a result, they tend to flow much better during cold temperature starts and begin lubricating an engine almost immediately. This leads to significant engine wear reduction, and, therefore, longer engine life.

Improved Fuel Economy

Because of their uniform molecular structure, synthetic oils are tremendous friction reducers. Less friction leads to increased fuel economy and improved engine performance.
This means that more energy released from the combustion process can be transferred directly to the wheels due to the lower friction. Acceleration is more responsive and more powerful, using less fuel in the process.

In a petroleum oil, lighter molecules tend to boil off easily, leaving behind much heavier molecules which are difficult to pump. The engine loses more energy pumping these heavy molecules than if it were pumping lighter ones.

Since synthetic oils have more uniform molecules, fewer of these molecules tend to boil off and when they do, the molecules which are left are of the same size and pumpability is not affected.

Synthetics are better and in many ways, they are basically better by design as they are created by chemists in laboratories for a specific purpose.

Cheers
Simon
Old 28 March 2009, 02:09 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

always used castrol magnatec 10-40 in my tuned daily wrx.

i do track, drag and enthusiastic road driving quite often. oil change every 8-10k. had car 5 year doing well. driven with respect engine wise. never above 7,000 rpm, warmed up/down properly and never held at silly high speeds!
Old 28 March 2009, 07:32 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Agree, or a 10w40, if you look at the group buy section opie oils have Motul (probably the best oil you can buy ) up for buy 2 x 2ltrs and get 1 x 2ltrs free, pretty good offer on the fully synth stuff

Tony
How long is this Promotion going to last for?... anyone know?
Old 29 March 2009, 05:35 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

It will finish in 48 hours time

Cheers
Old 29 March 2009, 05:44 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

No it will not literally damage you engine if you put it in.

It will need changing more frequently and being a semi-synthetic, like all semis has it's limitations with modified or high performance cars.

Cheers
Simon
Phew, that's good news .... I didn't think you would sell Oil that was not fit for purpose.

As I change my Oil every 6 months/4,000 miles then I will be absolutely fine continuing with my Fuchs XTR 10w-40 Semi at £12 for 5 Litres - thanks for that assurance
Old 29 March 2009, 06:45 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

No problems
Old 29 March 2009, 10:28 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

I have a V5 Type-R... i change mine every 7500 miles... alaways use MOTUL 300V 15W-50...

thats ok right?... read alot of people change 3K...am I not changing it often enough?
Old 29 March 2009, 11:19 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Every 7,500 is more then ideal, it will go longer if you want it to.

If the engine is not heavily modified and is for road/fast road only then drop to 300v 5w-40 or 10w-40 next time.

Cheers

Guy
Old 30 March 2009, 12:32 AM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Great... thanxs for the recommendation..

Car is pretty much standard and don't have the time (or ***** lol) to track it ... *.*
Old 30 March 2009, 01:42 PM
SubaSi
Scooby Regular

I can't see the motul 300v on oilman website, am i being a complete idiot?
Old 30 March 2009, 01:49 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

Have you tried the link in this "whilst stocks last" offer

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...ocks-last.html

Cheers
Old 30 March 2009, 02:16 PM
SubaSi
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the link oilman!

Would 10w-40 be alright for my Impreza type R daily driver with a few trackdays coming up?
Old 30 March 2009, 02:45 PM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

I recommend sunflower oil for yours Si. Also makes great chips
Old 30 March 2009, 02:48 PM
oilman
Former Sponsor

The 10w-40 should be fine, not sure about the chips though

Cheers
Guy
Old 30 March 2009, 03:01 PM
SubaSi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by N_Scooby
I recommend sunflower oil for yours Si. Also makes great chips

mmmmm....chips......
Old 30 March 2009, 03:04 PM
SubaSi
Scooby Regular

The 10w-40 should be fine, not sure about the chips though

Cheers
Guy

Cheers, I'll order some now!
Old 30 March 2009, 04:04 PM
stuart2088
Scooby Regular

Just to jump on the oil bandwagon while its rolling.
The Subaru recommended engine oil for my Legacy Diesel is ACEA C2 or C3 5w30.

This has been used by supplying dealer at service time but i have been using Motul ACEA C3 5w40 for intermediate oil changes.

I appreciate petrol and diesel engines are different but 5w30 doesnt seem to figure in these discussions.

I prefer to stick to Subaru recommendations but used this 5w40 as it was around!!!!

Any issues doing this?

Thanks.