Starting problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2008, 07:36 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem.....

Any one help with this one.
After starting the car and letting it idle for a little while got about 200 yards down the road when the car died on me, it then re-started after a little while and ran fine.
The cel light came on, but the psi3 didn’t come back with an error code

Then when I went to leave work it turned over with out starting then I tried again and it started and ran fine.
But after going shopping etc when I returned to the car I had a problem starting it would ether just turn over or it would start then splutter and stall.
Same thing when I went for petrol except the CEL light came on, when I got home and tried to read the fault code the psi3 couldn’t find a code and after starting and stopping the car a few times the CEL light went out.
When I was starting and stopping the car I noticed the voltage reading on the PSI3 dipped down to around 9v
The car isn’t used a lot about a month since it was lasted used it also has a battery conditioner on it, when I think on to plug it in.
I’m wondering if its ether the battery or crank sensor
Old 16 December 2008, 10:46 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Not had a crank sensor go on the car, but what you describe is pretty similar to what I got with a dud one on my Berlingo van. Three or four times it conked out 200m up the road and when I tried to restart it would fire up and die immediately. When I did manage to start it again it might then run fine for 2 or 3 weeks. Occasionally it would start from cold, tickover for 30 secs, and then conk out as soon as I tried to pull away. It never played up when the van was warm/hot.
Kevin
Old 17 December 2008, 09:45 PM
dawleyboy
Scooby Regular

i have a similar problem when i checked fault code it was comin up with engine coolant sensor i haven't got round to changin it yet so i dont know if its that for sure but it could be worth a try
Old 18 December 2008, 12:19 AM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in agreement with the coolant temp sensor. Check out post # 9 of this thread and myblackwrx's last sentence describing his symptoms i.e. similar to yours: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ce-please.html

Also, the 9v reading could be a drain caused by the fans remaining on all the time, even when cold. Apparently it looks like that when the sensor fails, it shorts the circuit to the fans. See this thread currently running: https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-plz-help.html
Old 18 December 2008, 06:23 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

I would imagine if the temp sensor was faulty the PSI3 would read incorrect ,I normally have the temp displayed as it seems to be fine.