Engine cut when accelerating hard - fault code P0244

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2008, 06:47 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cut when accelerating hard - fault code P0244

Evening all

Currently having a problem with the scoob that I'm a bit confused about. When accelerating hard sometimes the car will cut at higher revs but then be fine. Luckily I have an ECU monitor so read the fault code as P0244 (Wastegate control solenoid valve malfunction (high input) ).

Did some searching on here and across t'interweb but I'm a little confused as to what might be the solution. As I understand (from my searching) the engine cut is due to the boost pressure getting too high and the ECU cutting the fuel supply so as not to damage the engine. The readout on my ecu monitor confirms this as the boost pressure is 1.38-1.4 bar (it usually maxed at 1.3).

The car is an otherwise unmodded 03 wrx with PPP - the solutions I've found are either the map needs to be amended (to tell it to open the solenoid earlier) or the solenoid is knackered and it'll solve the problem by replacing it.

Planning to take it to the dealer to look at this week but I prefer to have an idea of what's going on beforehand!
Old 02 November 2008, 07:46 PM
Keith Collings
Scooby Regular

Check the small pipe going from the turbo to the boost solenoid. I had a split in mine (MY 98 Classic) and this caused overboost and fuel cut.
Old 03 November 2008, 11:35 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Seen this on a few 03 WRX PPPs recently, IMHO the fuel cut boost level is too close to the target boost the ECU is trying to achieve.

Try cleaning out all the boost control pipework and remove and clean the brass restrictor in the pipe between the compressor outlet and T-piece, if necessary a slightly larger orifice will cure the problem.

Andrew...
Old 03 November 2008, 09:10 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps
Old 16 April 2014, 09:44 PM
beardo47
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndrewC
Seen this on a few 03 WRX PPPs recently, IMHO the fuel cut boost level is too close to the target boost the ECU is trying to achieve.

Try cleaning out all the boost control pipework and remove and clean the brass restrictor in the pipe between the compressor outlet and T-piece, if necessary a slightly larger orifice will cure the problem.

Andrew...
Massive bump on this thread, how much bigger do you need to drill the brass restrictor out too in order to stop this overboosting lark, had mine off and cleaned the pipework with brake cleaner today but just on my way home tonight had the cut and EML, seems to do it at 5k rpm ish in 4th gear.
Old 16 April 2014, 10:48 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beardo47

Massive bump on this thread, how much bigger do you need to drill the brass restrictor out too in order to stop this overboosting lark, had mine off and cleaned the pipework with brake cleaner today but just on my way home tonight had the cut and EML, seems to do it at 5k rpm ish in 4th gear.
I wouldnt be drilling it out, if you drill too big you will under boost and potentially lose quite a chunk of power, buy a new boost solenoid as that is the probable cause as they get stuck closed and over boost.

I think you will find anyway that it will stick open aswell and only give you 0.5 bar of boost as thats what happens when they need replacing.
Old 16 April 2014, 11:06 PM
beardo47
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazney101
I wouldnt be drilling it out, if you drill too big you will under boost and potentially lose quite a chunk of power, buy a new boost solenoid as that is the probable cause as they get stuck closed and over boost.

I think you will find anyway that it will stick open aswell and only give you 0.5 bar of boost as thats what happens when they need replacing.
Been told it could be down to the fact that it has a decat fitted but its only running the PPP map, needs mapping properly.
Old 17 April 2014, 07:02 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beardo47
Been told it could be down to the fact that it has a decat fitted but its only running the PPP map, needs mapping properly.
This
Old 12 August 2014, 04:26 PM
Alistair9988
Scooby Newbie

Just had the same p0244 code come up on my GB270 got my own code reader and got the number is the best road to go down to replace the solenoid or get the map checked first

this happened last night at high revs engine management light came on so waited till this afternoon started the car and the light was off so this is when I scanned it and got the code
Old 12 August 2014, 05:31 PM
beardo47
Scooby Regular

I got my map tweaked for the decat, 0 error codes, car pulls much nicer and doesn't cut.
Old 12 August 2014, 11:16 PM
Andy_Miller
Scooby Newbie

Ive got this issue with my classic just now. Ditched the induction kit for the standard air box and it seems to be ok. Not boosting brilliant though so possibly the solenoid on its way out.
Old 12 August 2014, 11:47 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty common on the 2.5 when you start messing with the cats and remap
Old 11 March 2015, 08:53 PM
old school Scooby
Scooby Newbie

Default gb270

Originally Posted by Alistair9988
Just had the same p0244 code come up on my GB270 got my own code reader and got the number is the best road to go down to replace the solenoid or get the map checked first

this happened last night at high revs engine management light came on so waited till this afternoon started the car and the light was off so this is when I scanned it and got the code
did u get this sorted out pal, got same problem thanks in advanced, steve
Old 11 March 2015, 09:34 PM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by old school Scooby
did u get this sorted out pal, got same problem thanks in advanced, steve
This is a old thread probably as mentioned above due to decating without remapping, car will over boost and cut fuel