No pressure!

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2008, 10:38 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question No pressure!

Hey guys, quick question.....

I've got prosport stepper gauges for oil temp, oil pressure & boost pressure. Lastnight when I went to leave work, the oil pressure one was sat at 0 and flashing red to obviously warn me of the fact it didn't think there was any oil pressure. I turned the car straight off cuz I thought **** that's bad. Then I thought hang on, it sounded perfectly fine.....so it's probably just the gauge. I checked the oil a bit after......level was perfect. So I started the car again, still showing no pressure, but it sounds & drives exactly as always, so I'm guessing the gauge or the sensor is buggered. So that is my question....what is the best way of telling if it's the gauge or the sensor that's the problem? I'm guessing a multi-meter will be involved? lol
Old 31 October 2008, 10:46 PM
webster444
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did the oil pressure warning light come up on ur dash? if it didnt it would seem to me that there is a problem with the gauge wether its the sensor or the gauge itself, not sure how you would test it tho!
Old 31 October 2008, 10:52 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webster444
did the oil pressure warning light come up on ur dash? if it didnt it would seem to me that there is a problem with the gauge wether its the sensor or the gauge itself, not sure how you would test it tho!
No, I've got no other warning lights at all. I didn't realise there was a oil pressure warning light on the dash! I feel much better now I know that hasn't come on Unless that's buggered aswell of course! lol. There's oil in the car, and it runs fine. Oil temp gauge still works, so I think oil pressure is actually fine. I was a bit concerned about driving it starting off, but I'm convinced it's okay now. I kinda hope the gauge is broken rather than the sensor, cuz it'll be a much easier job to change!
Old 31 October 2008, 11:01 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

like webster said mate, if the little oil can didnt come on on your dash, and every thig seems fine,i should just think it is a loose wire, gauge, or the gauges sender that is at fault, take it steady until you find out though!
Old 01 November 2008, 12:46 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Cheers for your responses guys, I feel much better now but it's still a bit un-nerving driving around with the oil pressure gauge flashing red at you while it sits on zero lol
Old 02 November 2008, 09:05 PM
nampahc01
Scooby Regular

your oil pressure sensor is under your altenator on the left hand side of the engine bay.

your guage will probably come off there earth the wire and your guage will read max if it doesn't your gauge or wiring is faulty if it does then sensor is buggered.
Old 02 November 2008, 09:15 PM
AndyP's_P1
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with my gauges. I took out the sensor and put in a fuel pressure gauge c/w 1/8th npt thread directly into the adaptor and tested it directly. Turned out it was a faulty sensor.
Old 04 November 2008, 11:33 PM
webster444
Scooby Regular

glad to help! when i bought my car it had defis already and the oil temp gauge just sat on zero with the warning light flashing, i poked around and found that the gauge had been plugged into the wrong connector on the control box, so i swapped it and everything was hunky dory!